Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Eien)
    I never ignore anyone I like, I'll give them more attention, the idea of pushing them away or ignoring them seems utterly nonsensical and wouldn't occur to me at all. That said, I can somewhat understand why some people may do it.
    It is nonsensical. Why do you think some people may do it?

ReputationRep:
    Fear of rejection.

ReputationRep:
    The other day I went into town to hang out with a bunch of friends, including one who I fancy quite a lot. I greeted my first friend (French guy) with 3 kisses on the cheek, as is customary in his part of France, and the guy I fancy piped up with "Oi, where's my hugs and kisses?". Instead of taking advantage of this golden opportunity I pulled a face at him and hugged all my other friends and just said hi to the bloke I really DO like. What's wrong with me?!:facepalm::lol:

(Original post by Red_Rum)
    The other day I went into town to hang out with a bunch of friends, including one who I fancy quite a lot. I greeted my first friend (French guy) with 3 kisses on the cheek, as is customary in his part of France, and the guy I fancy piped up with "Oi, where's my hugs and kisses?". Instead of taking advantage of this golden opportunity I pulled a face at him and hugged all my other friends and just said hi to the bloke I really DO like. What's wrong with me?!:facepalm::lol:
    Aw :p: there seem to be a lot of us.

ReputationRep:
    Alwaysss.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    It is nonsensical. Why do you think some people may do it?
    As Amandeep said, fear of rejection or looking foolish. However, it has always been me to confess my feelings but I have been rejected so many times I don't care anymore, and just assume the worst unless I see otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Yes & Yes.

ReputationRep:
    'Like' in the American sense of the word?

No. You should be so busy with other things that you don't have time to pester them. If you're genuinely busy, you won't feel as if you're being false.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but I'm a horrible person

ReputationRep:
    I can sooo relate to this!
    It's so annoying, they think i'm arrogant, and start ignoring me too!
    hmpf!

ReputationRep:
    Trying to get out this habit to lower my gaze.

ReputationRep:
    I tease a lot and over exaggerate about loads of stuff, but then again I smile more, stay closer, laugh and I am friendlier...but yeah, teasing goes up and up, so ppl may call me mean : D

and no, i never ignore them xD

ReputationRep:
    Yup

ReputationRep:
    Uhhh... not on purpose? I mean I am stupidly shy and sometimes a girl that I may like, I will ignore on account of my shyness. But not intentionally, no.

ReputationRep:
    Yep,all the time. I'm not a lesbian but I do it with girls with nice boobs/ass as well. They must think I'm a proper b**** as I get really short with them but it's just that I don't want to be seen perving lol :o:

ReputationRep:
    All the time and I am too scared to look them in the eye in case they know I like them! Then I run away.

Then I can't workout if they like me or not because that would involve talking then everyone ends up confused as I confuse them by making the effort to pluck up the courage to hint I like them. THen they are not sure wether I like them or not or possibly think i'm just nuts!

ReputationRep:
    I do it. Not when I'm with them or anything, but if I happen to be walking past them I never know what to do with myself, my phone suddenly becomes verrrry interesting :blush: I wish I could stop doing it, but I do it every time. But as I said, if I'm with him then I'm fine (most of the time...)

ReputationRep:
    I just smile [awkwardly] at them then ignore them completely. :p:

(Original post by bikipip)
    :yes: I have done this once in the past, but I REALLY regret it because if the guy liked me back I effectively ruined what could have been a good thing. Anyhow, I didn't even give him a chance to like me back because I was always ignoring him! :facepalm: For me it was fear of rejection & fear of coming off too strong/obsessive, also lack of confidence and inability to flirt. I think to him it seemed attention-seeking and immature. I heard from someone that he thought I was angry with him and later on I heard he'd been *****ing about me. :girlhit:

Now I've learnt my lesson, if I like someone I subtly flirt with them. Once you get used to it, it comes naturally. Last year a guy who obviously liked me starting ignoring me but in the end I just got sick of chasing him around and starting ignoring him back.

I mean, it's hard enough nowadays for people to find that strong mutual attraction, why destroy it by playing mind games with each other?
    Well in my case it's not because of mind games, I just come over all shy, then panic and want to run away.

ReputationRep:
    This is pretty much my tactic with every guy I've ever liked.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.