Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Edinburgh, but mostly because Canada doesn't appeal to me at all.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    McGill. But only because it's in Canada and I'd love to study in the US or Canada.

ReputationRep:
    My cousin just started MCgill..he really enjoys it...Montreal is a blast and Canada on the whole is waaaay cooler than Scotland :cool: I think both are prestigious but McGill maybe more internationally recognised...it just depends where you want to spend the next 3-4 years of your life...For me MCgill.

ReputationRep:
    That's a tough one. Both are of course excellent unis. If you have the chance, visit them both and decide which one you like the most.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jamjar)
    Well its interesting what you had to say about Edinburgh as it is a uni I am looking at. So what type of problems did you experience at this institution (I am assuming you were there!) that should be aware of when deciding whether to choose it or not? I'm interested in computational physics entry into the second year. So you think I should look elsewhere? Other choices being Oxford, Durham, Sheffield and Exeter, and if not Edinburgh then either Bristol or Bath. Welcome your opinion.:o:
    I did not study at Edinburgh (although it was my insurance), but I know a fair few students there, I've been part of collaborations with their history school in the past, and there seems to be a wide disparity in the way departments treat their students. I'm more familiar with the way the arts faculty (well, they've now went to the Schools model of university governance) works than its science counterparts, but I do know plenty felt their education was second to the university maintaining it's reputation, and that its strategy was geared to produce a volume of work in significant areas (i.e work that would get cited and make them money) rather than get staff in to teach the undergraduates. This is somewhat reinforced by their thinking towards research in the university as a whole. For such a large place, they submitted to less than 40 of the 68 available research areas in the latest assessment of research by the government (RAE) compared with their rivals (Leeds, Birmingham, Glasgow, Manchester, UCL, Oxbridge) all being around the 50 mark. The result of this was a better average score, which they could rightly brag about, but at the cost of shutting departments and stopping research that they weren't sure was going to be sufficiently influential to sustain or enhance their reputation. Whether this is at odds with the purpose of a university and its quest for knowledge and to pass that on to its students is entirely up to you, but right now plenty of current students seem to be protesting quite loudly at the way they go about things.

For computational physics however, I really don't know. They may well be excellent, but the moral of this story is to do your own research and don't apply purely on perceived reputation.

ReputationRep:
    McGill. Because it is a LOT more prestigious than Edinburgh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by donkey10)
    McGill. Because it is a LOT more prestigious than Edinburgh.
    Not really sure about this?! It was 4 Edinburgh medicine graduates whofounded McGill university and their whole curriculum is based on Edinburgh's. To this day, Edinburgh are leading ground-breaking research which travels the world over. There undergrad course is also incredibly highly reputed. As unfortunate as it may be, 'prestige' is often based on history and in this case Edinburgh is certainly better qualified! McGill wouldn't even exist without it!

haha, all a bit of personal opinion I think! :-)

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'm shocked no one has compared McGill to Ivey or Queens? Long considered the 'target' universities of Canada for finance and so I'd expect it to be similar for their other courses...

Still McGill though

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Selenaa)
    McGill is Canada's top university.
    Based on what? If you're going by rankings, I think they'll say that University of Toronto is the best.

ReputationRep:
    For the sciences, McGill all day long. For anything else Edinburgh

ReputationRep:
    The reputation of the University of Edinburgh is subject to no doubt, particulary for medicine. This is true for both Britain and the international community.

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.