Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DJkG.1)
    That is so sad. ... But what an idiot he is. He should at least be prosecuted with manslaughter or some offence related to the careless use of a firearm leading to an innocent person's death. Don't they have this law in the USA? :confused:

That trigger-happy society is getting ridiculous now. Who shoots a shadowy person in their home anyway? Even if it was a thief, what would there be to gain in putting a bullet in him.
    Self-defence.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear.

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnthusiasticEnthusiast)
    Self-defence.
    If he's just wandering round stealing things and not hurting you?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    How do you know that it isn't true ?
    Maybe but the majority probably do.
    Because all my family and friends are in america and they do not carry guns.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Skadoosh)
    Tarantino would be proud.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    He should be prosicuted. But then, maybe he's learnt his lesson from this tragedy alone. One can only hope.

ReputationRep:
    Thats sad but he is a tool!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    It probably wasn't meant to be

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    If he's just wandering round stealing things and not hurting you?
    I wouldn't take the risk, anyway the law's the law. Enter someone's house without permission and they have the right to shoot/kill you.

ReputationRep:
    I'll remember this excuse in case I'm ever in American and need to kill my fiancee.

ReputationRep:
    Guns don't kill people, dumb firearm laws do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Malsy)
    How do you know that it isn't true ?
    Maybe but the majority probably do.
    Are you being serious?!

The majority of Americans do not have guns in their homes. I've never touched one, and know no one who owns one. In certain areas it is more common to own one (if hunting is popular or if it is a dangerous location), but overall it is not the norm.

Some stereotypes have gotten way out of control.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take the risk, anyway the law's the law. Enter someone's house without permission and they have the right to shoot/kill you.
    Depends on the state actually...in most cases self defense only works if that person was armed as well (therefore you had reason to believe you were going to be harmed). Shoot an unarmed man and you're going to be in trouble unless you can convince people you thought they had a weapon.

ReputationRep:
    Even if I thought there was an intruder in my house and I had a deadly weapon at my disposal, there's no way in hell I'd use it until I had a) seen the person's face and b) seen whether or not they had a weapon as well. Who the hell shoots blindly into the dark like that? And he absolutely should be brought to justice. Think of that poor woman's family.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by icn06)
    Depends on the state actually...in most cases self defense only works if that person was armed as well (therefore you had reason to believe you were going to be harmed). Shoot an unarmed man and you're going to be in trouble unless you can convince people you thought they had a weapon.
    In a lot of states, if someone enters your house without your permission you have the right to kill them. The lesson is very quickly learnt, do not enter someone's house without their permission.

ReputationRep:
    Obvious cover story. He just wanted a way out of the marriage.

ReputationRep:
    Self-defence.
    Not proportionate force. You're virtually never allowed to kill someone in self-defence (only disable them).

I don't think he's got a defence - presumably he could be prosecuted for second degree murder (although I'm not sure it'd happen). Don't quote me on that - I'm not an attorney. :p:

ReputationRep:
    In a lot of states, if someone enters your house without your permission you have the right to kill them. The lesson is very quickly learnt, do not enter someone's house without their permission.
    If Wikipedia's taught me anything, you've got weasel words followed by an opinion disguised as fact there.

Evidence? Which states?

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.