Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    it might confuse your boss as well, so he might let you off whilst he tries to figure it out.

ReputationRep:
    see if that was me paying for a meal and leaving a tip i'd always ask and see if the waiter would get the tip or it goes into a pot.. we would only pay the individual who actually served us..

ReputationRep:
    They're not allowed to take the tips and keep it for themselves. They are allowed to re-distribute them amongst workers though. The tip should also be on top of your wage so if your boss includes tips as part of your wage and its <minimum wage without tips then that's also illegal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by strawberry)
    the establishment doesn't take your tips. What is this?
    is what?

we have different tipping rules (or rather customs) to the usa (assuming thats where your from) - the store can take the tips IIRC, although there is a law comign in sayng that the tips cannot be used to make up the minimum wage IIRC

ReputationRep:
    your boss is an ass if he doesnt allow tip sharing. i dont think you should feel bad about it at all, it was onyl a £1. I would do the same thing tbh. The problem is, some workplaces are really harsh on these type of things because no matter how much you took, you still took it- if you know what i mean. Where I used to work, if you had been caught doing that, you would get a verbal warning but i dont know how yours works. I doubt you would lose your job though.

Cheers for the help everyone, still not enjoying this feeling though!

ReputationRep:
    It would be highly unfair and unlikely (and probably unfair dismissal) if you were to lose your job after this, but I wouldn't do it again tbh. The tipping system is unfair but you knew it was unfair when you took the job and I don't think really there's that much you can realistically do about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppety_Kid)
    I wouldn't have thought so - unless there's some sort of "contract" to overcome this (following issue), I'm pretty sure it's theft.

The worst I've heard about, which was on Breakfast the other day, is businesses using tips to make up employees' minimum wages, but that case was different since the workers were still getting the money!

OP, it might be worth checking with Citizens' Advice (assuming that, as strawberry says, everything is as you claim). They'll probably have a better idea.
    Zizzi's do that. Make up the minimum wage with tips, so don't work for them. They are a shoddy organisation with terrible management.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 11, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.