Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cruciform)
    what about something like biology let say?
    Biology is an essay subject.

ReputationRep:
    The format and style of questions helps a lot. Also, core material and concepts are always tested in their different guises.

ReputationRep:
    Defeating the purpose a little, but having the papers allows you to pick up on things like when one lecturer has written less than 10 different exam questions in the last 7 years, and rehashes the same questions all the time.

ReputationRep:
    Apparantly, there is a lot of material at degree level and the workload is a lot, so will past not help as there is a lot to be tested on, so they can ask almost anything, meaning the past papers won't have similarities between other past papers. Also I have heard degree level examinations have more open ended questions, so past papers and markschemes don' get you familiar enough with the material. Is this true? Am I better off just revising the material only in order to succeed at degree level?
    Thanks.
    No such thing as mark schemes at degree level. Past papers are more likely to show you the style of question than anything else. So yes you will actually have to revise all the material that may well come up.

A-levels are such a bad stepping stone to degree work in this respect.

ReputationRep:
    Apparantly, there is a lot of material at degree level and the workload is a lot, so will past not help as there is a lot to be tested on, so they can ask almost anything, meaning the past papers won't have similarities between other past papers. Also I have heard degree level examinations have more open ended questions, so past papers and markschemes don' get you familiar enough with the material. Is this true? Am I better off just revising the material only in order to succeed at degree level?
    Thanks.
    Personally I find that passed papers are one of the most usefull things to use. There are often patterns, or trends if only vague. If nothing else it will allow you to better understand how questions are asked, and if you could answer them.

Like you might know a lot of about rivers and erossion, and get a question like: "how do fluvial processes effect the geomorphological landscape' and have no idea what it means.

Matt

ReputationRep:
    Another important question for exam past papers: do you think it is good to study past papers as you go along the course,after each new topic? Or should I stick to doing them after I've done my revision and dive right in? I just feel the first option is better as it maintains consistency. Do you know of people ever using the first method I mentioned, or is it unheard of?
    Thanks for the help.
    Everyone revises differently, and tbh, I don't really discuss revision methods with my friends. From what I know most people will not look at previous exams until nearer the time, during term-time most time is taken up with marked assessments and further reading.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.