Turn on thread page Beta

How to make my bedroom look less 'childish'? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ghost_writer)
    Definitely worth a trip to Ikea, they have a reduced items section that you could look in first.

Lick of same light paint on all walls but one then have a deeper colour - aubergine/brown/marroon - on that wall. A few photos framed and mounted and a big mirror to give more light. Could consider painting all the furniture the same light colour - makes everything feel a lot calmer. Some fairy lights over the bed will make the lighting feel more muted. Find bedding to complement the darker wall. Block canvases of lighter colour behind the bed or foam headboard from lighter fabric stapled onto some wood. Super easy and you could do it in a day.

Oh I love a good makeover - I did 2 bedrooms in a week on my own (swapped parents' and kids' rooms so it took longer!).
    Haha you want to come round and do mine then lol?

ReputationRep:
    Three words -> Empty beer cans.

ReputationRep:
    More de-cluttering. Go minimilist. Creams and browns. A cream rug on the floor, laminate flooring.
    Cheap pinewood shelves, fill them with books, look like an intellectual.

It's really quite simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychobunnay)
    Get rid of the stuffed animals
    :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    you should really post pics of what your room looks like now, or just describe it.

I'm going to disagree with all the minimalist/cream and brown suggestions, unless that's what you're in to. There are ways to have a less childish room without having nothing in there. Considering you're likely to be living out of one room with all your stuff in minimalism isn't always even a feasible option.

I think my room is very much the room of a couple of people in their 20s and it's far from minimalist. there's a lot going on, from jewellery hanging on the walls to hundreds of photographs and paintings to nick nacks on the shelves and a couple of animal cages. that doesn't mean people will come in and think that children live in it.

I think that things like fabric choice and lighting make the big differences. A tidy room always looks more grown up as well.

edit: as for your parents funding it. paint is cheap and you can say that it's in their interest to redecorate to save doing it after you leave, bedding is something that will go with you when you go and will make a big difference.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by death.drop)
    you should really post pics of what your room looks like now, or just describe it.

I'm going to disagree with all the minimalist/cream and brown suggestions, unless that's what you're in to. There are ways to have a less childish room without having nothing in there. Considering you're likely to be living out of one room with all your stuff in minimalism isn't always even a feasible option.

I think my room is very much the room of a couple of people in their 20s and it's far from minimalist. there's a lot going on, from jewellery hanging on the walls to hundreds of photographs and paintings to nick nacks on the shelves and a couple of animal cages. that doesn't mean people will come in and think that children live in it.

I think that things like fabric choice and lighting make the big differences. A tidy room always looks more grown up as well.

edit: as for your parents funding it. paint is cheap and you can say that it's in their interest to redecorate to save doing it after you leave, bedding is something that will go with you when you go and will make a big difference.
    A very important point. Of course you have to go with what appeals to you. The muted colours are popular at the moment, and are also quite neutral for whatever your parents want to do with it when you're out of there. If you're still going to be able to use your room as your room when you're gone then put your own mark on it and go with something that suits your style.

If not, consider a neutral base and use fabrics and moveable items to stamp 'you' in the room - and the benefit of that is that you could take all the add-on with you to uni.

http://images.google.com/images?q=de...N&hl=en&tab=wi

The link may give you a place to work from.

And this is a great place to play with looks and design http://mydeco.com/design/

Enjoy it!

ReputationRep:
    Poster's my room is covered in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SunOfABeach)
    Three words -> Empty beer cans.
    :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, beer cans seem to make up about 20% of my floor space at the moment...
    The rest is stuff I packed up in boxes a few days ago when we had new carpet put down, and I haven't got it back out yet because I'm damn good at procrastinating.

ReputationRep:
    i have lots of posters of half naked men on my walls
    and then one wall with lots and lots and lots of photos
    I also have boutique bags hanging from my walls

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    Get rid of the
    Spoiler:
    Show

on your door.
    would rep you if I could - made me LoL like a goofy little git.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.