Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Don't listen to him, he's lying!

I actually think they're quite attractive buildings.

(Original post by aliluvschoc)
    Kent! we have loads of open space, woods, millions of rabbits, a great view too, we're on top of a hill.
    Don't kid yourself. Kent is renowned for its ugly 1960's architecture all across the park. No amount of green space is going to make up for that.

Don't apply to the University of Glasgow, it's hideous, look:

And don't apply to the University of Edinburgh either, it's also a beast:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ArtGoblin)
    I actually think they're quite attractive buildings.

I completely agree :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Don't kid yourself. Kent is renowned for its ugly 1960's architecture all across the park. No amount of green space is going to make up for that.

Don't apply to the University of Glasgow, it's hideous, look:

And don't apply to the University of Edinburgh either, it's also a beast:
    Ramocito, my old pal. How's it going?

ReputationRep:
    I thought queens belfast was really nice mostly red brick buildings:

ReputationRep:
    Even Oxbridge have buildings from the 60s. There's no escaping it, really. It was a time of huge expansion in British Higher Education, so consequently a lot of new buildings had to be put up rapidly.

Leicester has some nice Edwardian main buildings in the form of the central block, Management, Economics, Law and the Student Union, a few huge 60s blocks [the main one is really impressive - the Attenborough Tower - but Engineering looks 'orrible, rest are all OK-ish], and a brand new library. However the real seller is that the first-year accommodation is mostly beautiful, and is set in one of the richest and most lovely areas of the country. Seriously, you have to see it to believe it. The Uni is set next door to a huge public park, as well, and owns beautiful botanical gardens at the Halls.

Still, if you absolutely hate the 60s, I'm afraid that there are virtually no universities with no 60's architecture in the UK. St. Andrew's might be a good bet.

(Original post by necessarily benevolent)
    Ramocito, my old pal. How's it going?
    Well I'm wasting a year of my life by reapplying. But I did set myself a near impossible task last year. Nonetheless, I'm sure I'll be up in Scotland just like you come this time next year.

I'm happy you got into St Andrews, I really am. I wish you all the best and hope you're having a jolly good time.

(Original post by Aphotic Cosmos)
    Still, if you absolutely hate the 60s, I'm afraid that there are virtually no universities with no 60's architecture in the UK. St. Andrew's might be a good bet.
    I know that lots of people complain about the US universities trying to mimic historical architecture, but at least they're not the ugly brutalist buildings we get here.

ReputationRep:
    whoops
    queens:

Bristol

Manchester:

LSE has a good mix of old and new buildings tastefully done

ReputationRep:
    York.

Well, the grounds are quite pretty anyway :P

ReputationRep:
    Definitely Nottingham, it's beautiful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bluelou)
    Some places seem to be very boxy and concrety and grey. Was just wondering which places are the nicest as in some green etc. Get the impression exeter is really nice, southampton too and bristol despite being a big city? Or am i wrong here?
    Nice top ish unis by the sea as well?
    thanks
    Main entrance:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Social Sciences/Law:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Physics:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Arts:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Chemistry:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Residential zone:
    Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Profesh)
    Main entrance:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Social Sciences/Law:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Physics:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Arts:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Chemistry:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Residential zone:
    Spoiler:
    Show

What's their Mathematics building like? They're usually ugly 1960's buildings, even at places like Oxford and Glasgow.

ReputationRep:
    I'm biased, but I think most of the UCL buildings are pretty stunning. There's the odd monstrosity (I think I can see the chem building from my kitchen window and it looks awful) but the main quad is lovely. It's also such a pretty part of London in general that even for Central London it's not as depressing and concrete as you'd expect.

I live in a 19th century townhouse, which is much nicer than a lot of my friends' scary accommodations thatwere built in the 60s or today and have no real character. Most campus universities seem to be pretty architecturally ugly.

(Original post by Lizia)
    Most campus universities seem to be pretty architecturally ugly.
    Spot on.

ReputationRep:
    off the top of my head Royal Holloway, Goldsmiths........ UCL i think

ReputationRep:
    What's their Mathematics building like? They're usually ugly 1960's buildings, even at places like Oxford and Glasgow.
    Apparently, it's scheduled for renovation some time between 2010 and 2011:

ReputationRep:
    Cripps Court is the work of the architectural devil.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    Main entrance:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Social Sciences/Law:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Physics:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Arts:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Chemistry:
    Spoiler:
    Show

Residential zone:
    Spoiler:
    Show

SHame about the chemistry bit.

ReputationRep:
    Goldsmiths is alright, well the richard hoggart building is nice and they own the old deptford town hall which is pretty, the ben pimlott building is shiny and silver with a squiggle on the top though, haha, but at least most of the grey concrete has been given a lick of paint or two so it's not grey =]

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.