Turn on thread page Beta

Moving to Germany with no job watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    Maybe it's just where I was, then.

Schwarzwald und Berlin. Berlin was crazily German, for a main European tourist destination. :eek3:

Edit: looool, I didn't even mean to type 'und' >D
    That's quite strange for places that are pretty big. I was in Berlin in 2006 and they knew instantly and wouldn't let it go.

Haha I've started doing it too by accident.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend it without knowing the language. I do know the language and live here but wouldn't want to work in a shop or something with customers talking at me at full pelt without realising I wasn't German.

But if you're desparate to, do a LOT of research and secure something for yourself before you get out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    Not in my case! A lot of them will pick up on the fact that I'm English and try to communicate with me in that language, which I won't do.
    When I was in Germany for some student exchange program, the lingua franca was German. We kinda went along with that because their English was incomprehensible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm just so happy in my degree

People keep saying my degree will open doors for me
    I don't understand why you're saying this, sorry. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    When I was in Germany for some student exchange program, the lingua franca was German. We kinda went along with that because their English was incomprehensible.
    Aww bless them! It's quite weird as to who speaks English and Germany and who speaks none at all, or isn't easy to understand.

(Original post by Anoymous)
    I'm just so happy in my degree

People keep saying my degree will open doors for me
    What degree are you doing and how long have you got left?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannah_dru)
    That's quite strange for places that are pretty big. I was in Berlin in 2006 and they knew instantly and wouldn't let it go.

Haha I've started doing it too by accident.
    Obviously don't lie to people you'll get to know, but if a stranger thinks you're English and keeps speaking English to you, you could pretend you're Latvian or something to that effect, and you don't speak any English, only German and Latvian. :p:

ReputationRep:
    everyone in Germany speaks english. but really you obviously know you're a bit silly to go without any safety net whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by phen)
    You have to keep in mind that my compatriots' exposure to English is usually limited to some years at school plus what they hear on TV. Yes, most Germans do understand quite a bit of English, but to actually speak it is another matter (and much more difficult at that!). I found the same to be true over here - many of the people who had done German in their A-levels were decent at understanding what they read and heard but found it extremely hard to actually communicate in German - it's a bit unfair to expect people in other countries to be practically bilingual :p: .

Why should I? I'll be learning as I go.

What about all the foreigners over here? Many don't speak English but get jobs in places like Primark.

I'm just worried that the German equivalent of Primark pays too little to survive

And I don't even know if theres a german equivalent!
    There's a massive supply of unskilled workers looking for jobs in Germany already, employers aren't exactly waiting for someone who doesn't even have a basic grasp of the language. There will be some jobs you might be able to do, but I suppose you would be rather unhappy because as you suggested, it's very hard to make a decent living off that kind of salary.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apfel)
    Obviously don't lie to people you'll get to know, but if a stranger thinks you're English and keeps speaking English to you, you could pretend you're Latvian or something to that effect, and you don't speak any English, only German and Latvian. :p:
    I usually tell people I'm English (or tell them once they've figured it out) and if they start speaking in English I either carry on in German or explain that I'm a translation intern and that it's not helpful. Usually works!

ReputationRep:
    That takes balls but if you're up for it absolutely go for it, I did the same when I went to France except I speak fluent French, aslong as you make an effort with your German you should be fine, good luck.

ReputationRep:
    Why should I? I'll be learning as I go.

What about all the foreigners over here? Many don't speak English but get jobs in places like Primark.

I'm just worried that the German equivalent of Primark pays too little to survive

And I don't even know if theres a german equivalent!
    Yeah and it pisses people off. When I go to a shop and the assistant is really struggling to understand me, its annoying.

Plus, Germany is not like England. As someone's said previously, its very, very German. Its not as cosmopolitan as England.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rooshio)
    everyone in Germany speaks english.
    That's not entirely true.
    Maybe most of the younger generation do speak some but you can't expect to just use English everywhere you go. Besides, that's rude and lazy.

OP, without even basic German you won't get far and will struggle finding a job. Even if you wanted to teach English or something you'd still need some kind of qualification.

ReputationRep:
    Go and work in an Irish Bar. Half the staff in those places don't speak German. You'd want to learn it quickly, though.

ReputationRep:
    My dad moved over to germany in the 90s as a builder, although I think he got the job before he moved there, by the time we left in 98 he was fluent... but my mum could only speak minimal German when we left and before that was pretty much a prisoner in her own home because she couldn't communicate... beyond shopping etc she had very few friends.

What I'm trying to say is, if you're going over there to do manual work (building) now is probably not the best time given the recession. Other than that, learn the language before you go. I find it ridiculously ignorant (and some how very british x.x) to move to another country without having learnt the language first, and would never dream of doing it now that I am older. Learning from my parents mistakes if you will.

Don't be stupid, either get yourself qualified enough to either be able to speak german AT LEAST conversationally, or to be able to teach English in schools etc. Don't just go over there and expect everyone to bow to your whim~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cloudengel)
    My dad moved over to germany in the 90s as a builder
    Just like Auf Wiedersehen Pet then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nadnerb)
    Just like Auf Wiedersehen Pet then?
    haha exactly what i (and everybody else x.x) always compare it to :rolleyes: ... except he wasn't from up north o.O

(now I have jimmy nail in my head wth)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnthusiasticEnthusiast)
    That takes balls but if you're up for it absolutely go for it, I did the same when I went to France except I speak fluent French, aslong as you make an effort with your German you should be fine, good luck.
    I did the same when I went to France, except I didn't go to France.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Profesh)
    I did the same when I went to France, except I didn't go to France.
    think ur tight?

ReputationRep:
    OP: I don't know how you feel about children, but have you considered being an au pair? (even if you're a guy, there are male au pairs.) I'm also thinking about moving to Germany as an au pair and I don't speak German yet- I've been contacted by a family who want an au pair to speak solely in English to their kid, and attend German classes at the same time. It's worth thinking about, even just for a few months until your German has improved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnthusiasticEnthusiast)
    think ur tight?
    Your fluency in one of the two languages that you allegedly speak appears to have deteriorated.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.