Turn on thread page Beta

Does not like Top Gear. watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Top Gear has gone downhill lately but in it's category, it's still beats Fifth Gear by miles. And just because you don't agree with Clarkson's opinions (or scripted opinions) doesn't make him crap. To be honest I love what he does for the show. Will Young episode was a rare episode where the other two guys made fun of him, but yeah definitely still a good tv show, just not awesome anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Clarkson is a great man. James May is a great man.

Richard Hammond's presenting is saturated with self-admiration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usainlightning)
    Clarkson is the funniest man on TV. Top gear is the best show on TV.
    (Original post by jakash)
    ... and no-one can screw up and say '****' quite like James May :awesome:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    Clarkson's a racist arrogant prick.

(Original post by nase14_aldayz)
    There's something about Top Gear that just depresses me. . .
    Me too.

ReputationRep:
    oh my giddy giddy gosh gosh!! how can u not love clarkson? to hell with u lot!! i think clarkson should be prime minister

ReputationRep:
    Clarkson is a god. Top Gear is actually my favourite show, and one of the best on TV.

ReputationRep:
    Clarkson acts like a p but he's still pretty funny, May is okay but a bit dull at times. Hammond is likeable, even if does make atrocious ads.

ReputationRep:
    Top Gear is the best show on television...full stop! There's a reason why it pulls in over 350million viewers WORLDWIDE! For a show that is so british orientated, it's extremely impressive for it to appeal to audiences on a global scale.

Jeremy Clarkson is just awesome...perfect blend of madness and idiocy

ReputationRep:
    Fifth Gear is one of the worst shows on t.v, they never do anything interesting, the presenters are irritating (especially the chubby guy) and then you get bored to death with half of the show being adverts!

ReputationRep:
    thank you!!!! to hell with the rest of u clarkson haterz!!

ReputationRep:
    5th Gear is ok but i think Top Gear still rules!

Its a bit old but its easy viewing

ReputationRep:
    5th Gear is just dull and a waste of time lol Top Gear is entertaining because it shows the fun side of motoring and the presenters are brilliant.

ReputationRep:
    philistine! :laugh: fifth gear is aweful and the presenters have the charisma of a bucket of warmed over pizza.

ReputationRep:
    Top gear is great. I personally think the 3 of them work really well together. I do agree that its somewhat moving away from just a car show and is becoming more an entertainment show but imo, this doesnt make it worse, it makes it funnier. I still watch the re-runs on dave

Fifth gear though... blasphemy.

ReputationRep:
    Richard Hammond tries to hard, and his facial expressions annoy me. But the show wouldnt be the same without him.

To be fair though, he does have his moments, such as when he beat the German-man-in-a-suit-Topgear-presenter-guy in the Bowler Wildcat, then walked over to him and just screamed YEEEEEES! in his face.

ReputationRep:
    Richard Hammond is the biggest prick imo. Ever since his slight accident he's attempted to dress like a 17 year old surfer dude. Also he's too short and speaks crap.

ReputationRep:
    The last series was absolute rubbish, I've taped/downloaded every episode since new Top Gear started but I really can't be bothered with the last series. There really isn't much originality left and I can see this coming series or the series after being the swansong.

ReputationRep:
    I still love it. Yes, it's scripted and yes, it's immature, but it's fantastic viewing all the same. Plus, I still think May and Clarkson are great presenters (can take or leave Hammond these days). Have to say that the budget cuts were apparent this last series, but that was to be expected.

I actually like the fact that they're very short on absolute detail when it comes to the car, as most stats are boring and can easily be found elsewhere. I don't need an in-depth review or to watch yet another crash test. If I want to know what a car is like on the limit or how it behaves in an accident, then I have hundreds of forums and online reviews which cover it in infinitely more detail than a car show could ever hope to.

What is more interesting is how the car makes you feel and Top Gear is fantastic at capturing that. Just look at the Maloo/VXR8 review last series - you completely got the sense that those cars were serious fun and you knew you wanted one. But you weren't bogged down with facts and figures. Same with the closing Aston Martin piece and the beautiful camera work; next to no information, but more powerful and more 'petrol head' than anything Fifth Gear have ever done. They managed to do all that without boring the crap out of me, and that's quite something. I mean, I love cars and spend hours on the net each week reading reviews/opinions - but the combination of Fifth Gear's dryness and terrible presenters mean I just can't make it through an entire episode.

One thing I wish they'd change is the way they use May on the show. I wish they'd stop cutting him short and allow him a little more input on the engineering/technical/scientific side of things. He's very good at presenting that sort of stuff in an amusing way. Clarkson may well be the most amusing and without him the show would be nothing, but May is by far the best presenter at the moment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sync)
    I still love it. Yes, it's scripted and yes, it's immature, but it's fantastic viewing all the same. Plus, I still think May and Clarkson are great presenters (can take or leave Hammond these days). Have to say that the budget cuts were apparent this last series, but that was to be expected.

I actually like the fact that they're very short on absolute detail when it comes to the car, as most stats are boring and can easily be found elsewhere. I don't need an in-depth review or to watch yet another crash test. If I want to know what a car is like on the limit or how it behaves in an accident, then I have hundreds of forums and online reviews which cover it in infinitely more detail than a car show could ever hope to.

What is more interesting is how the car makes you feel and Top Gear is fantastic at capturing that. Just look at the Maloo/VXR8 review last series - you completely got the sense that those cars were serious fun and you knew you wanted one. But you weren't bogged down with facts and figures. Same with the closing Aston Martin piece and the beautiful camera work; next to no information, but more powerful and more 'petrol head' than anything Fifth Gear have ever done. They managed to do all that without boring the crap out of me, and that's quite something. I mean, I love cars and spend hours on the net each week reading reviews/opinions - but the combination of Fifth Gear's dryness and terrible presenters mean I just can't make it through an entire episode.

One thing I wish they'd change is the way they use May on the show. I wish they'd stop cutting him short and allow him a little more input on the engineering/technical/scientific side of things. He's very good at presenting that sort of stuff in an amusing way. Clarkson may well be the most amusing and without him the show would be nothing, but May is by far the best presenter at the moment.
    I could not agree more, particularly with about May and his technical knowledge. It would be brilliant to have more input from May.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.