Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Weren't they giving out free upgrades to 10Mb? :\
Demius
Badges: 0
Report 9 years ago
I get 9.80 average on my 10mb Virgin Broadband connection at home which is good, but the upload is only around 1 which is not that great =/

I just ran a speed test at my school and I was surprised!

Oziris
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

That seems about right, pretty sure I only have 2 mb here, I would quite like 10mb though..might have to see what it costs
Lauren__x
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Mine signal goes like every 2 minutes, I hate virgin=[

I swear my dads paying for at least 20Mb :lolwut:
Dionysus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago

Which is pretty crap, considering it should be 20Mbps
Little_Miss_Emo
Report 9 years ago
my internet is darn slow at the mo and im on virgin (though my isp is telewest)
so i did that test and the results were better than i thought.

Harv616
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by Apfel)
Weren't they giving out free upgrades to 10Mb? :\
Granted, it was a free upgrade, but I still expect 10Mbs damn it :mad:

I just rang them and they said sorry and it seems fine now
skribla
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by DeeDub)
It just shows there are no problems local to you. Sometimes it can be a problem close to where you access the internet. This could particularly be an issue for Virgin Media as they don't connect directly to the internet but rather go through the cable network and then thousands connect at the same place. If there is a problem with these servers or another data centre close by then you could get a bottle neck which would strangle your speed and increase your ping.

Hard wire your computer to the router. If your speed improves when you do that then you know that it is the router, however most laptops and consoles only support G so N is somewhat redundant unless you are using multiple devices. I have the N router and it is great. I can stream 1080p from the PC to the PS3, whether this could be done on a G router i don't know, but the PS3 only supports G.
It would work on a G router because although your N router will broadcast at 300Mbps, your PS3 can only receive 54Mbps.

The reason why I was wondering if it's worth me getting an N adapter for my PC is that my signal strength is only 12-24Mbps, but it usually jumps around 12-18, so if my signal isn't even 20Mb then I won't get that.

The thing that is most worrying though is that I don't even get 12Mb on a speed test. Granted this is during the day, but when we first got the package (about 2weeks ago) we got 12Mb/ 16Mbps and it's gone down hill from there.

To the people getting what they're paying for on VM, are you downloading lots? Kind of annoying because we signed up to the 20Mb package and aren't even getting 10Mb speeds!

DanielNewton
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Your all lucky the best i can get is 500kbs and thats on a good day!
MrsShifty
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Not too bad here.

DeeDub
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I don't download that much but from time to time i use it quite heavily. I would say my internet traffic is about 500mb - 1gb per day on average.

I have the wireless router on the highest signal strength setting because there are no other local wireless networks and as i said before it works great. I never get any drop outs.
skribla
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Yeah, is there anything I can do to get VM to improve my speeds... I've taken a look at the upstream/ downstream DB levels to see if anything is too high and it all looks fine, which is annoying, because VM will probably say the same.

I'm starting to think that perhaps it is the server I am connecting to on speedtest or something - I just downloaded a file and it was going at 800KBps, and occasionaly jumping up to 1.35Mb.
Absurd
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Virgin Media is crap.
ifyougotthemoney
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
don't think i even pay for 10mb..

Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
mine is like 2.5, 0.5. We're paying for 20 from BT. They're bloody scum. and to add to that, they stalked me on twitter, 'BTCare' are now following me and tweeting at me, suggesting that I get their unlimited package and asking me to send them results of a speed test. grr. *******s.
amenhotep
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Harv616)

I'm paying for 10MB service, so what the hell? :lolwut:
Have a look at Be. Up to 24MB for £17.50 per month.

It's extremely reliable, quick to set up (ordered on Sunday afternoon, was up and running on Tuesday afternoon), and you get the best speed available, without throttling. Distance from the exchange and other factors affect speed, but usually not too much - my speed is around 21MB (in real terms - I've tested it).
It's also truly unlimited (not subject to a 'fair usage' policy)

Just have a look at their website:
https://www.bethere.co.uk/

If you're worried about reputation etc., just Google them (they've won several ISP awards). They're owned by Telefonica/O2 - so it's not an untrustworthy company by any means.

On that note, O2 broadband is almost identical, and that could be cheaper if you have an O2 contract.
Annie72
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
We are also with Virgin, this is what I got

Harv616
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 9 years ago
(Original post by amenhotep)
Have a look at Be. Up to 24MB for £17.50 per month.

It's extremely reliable, quick to set up (ordered on Sunday afternoon, was up and running on Tuesday afternoon), and you get the best speed available, without throttling. Distance from the exchange and other factors affect speed, but usually not too much - my speed is around 21MB (in real terms - I've tested it).
It's also truly unlimited (not subject to a 'fair usage' policy)

Just have a look at their website:
https://www.bethere.co.uk/

If you're worried about reputation etc., just Google them (they've won several ISP awards). They're owned by Telefonica/O2 - so it's not an untrustworthy company by any means.

On that note, O2 broadband is almost identical, and that could be cheaper if you have an O2 contract.

I looked at them and o2, but you need a BT landline, last time i checked it was £125 to install one :lolwut:

I'm only here for a year anyway, student housing and all
Jehuty^
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
Hooray for upload!

DeeDub
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Harv616)
I looked at them and o2, but you need a BT landline, last time i checked it was £125 to install one :lolwut:

I'm only here for a year anyway, student housing and all
It is only £125 pounds if you have previously been disconnected for non-payment or if they need to do stuff in your house. If it is just a matter of reconnecting an existing phoneline it costs nothing.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (502)
37.66%
No - but I will (103)
7.73%
No - I don't want to (91)
6.83%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (637)
47.79%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed