Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yes, yes it is. There is only Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard and Yale. If you don't go to one of there better commit a suicide 'cause your life would become worthless :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Yayyy mine's on the list
    ... Absolute ******** though!! My friend went to Salford uni, got a 2.2 and she gets like £900 a week ... depends how your job interviews go!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teodorayankova)
    Yes, yes it is. There is only Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard and Yale. If you don't go to one of there better commit a suicide 'cause your life would become worthless :yes:
    hahaha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EnthusiasticEnthusiast)
    Strathclyde Business School isn't there, until it's there I won't be believing a word of it.
    Is this a case of "My university's not there and until it is, the whole table lacks credibility"?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Natasharox)
    He's being a snob. Seriously, so many employers (e.g. office jobs) just look for any degree. You can gain a lot of skills from getting a degree from just a semi-decent uni, mainly the ability to work hard. Many jobs require a specific degree to get into, and of course in that case, you would not be better off going straight into work at all.

Seriously, prestige isn't everything. I say this from experience.
    UCL for Leicester? :nooo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeanMachine)

some kind of mental disorder i guess :woo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samtooth)
    Is this a case of "My university's not there and until it is, the whole table lacks credibility"?
    Isn't Strathclyde like 40th on the ranks table anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kati6)
    Yayyy mine's on the list
    ... Absolute ******** though!! My friend went to Salford uni, got a 2.2 and she gets like £900 a week ... depends how your job interviews go!
    Out of interest, what does your friend do?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Psycho0101)
    Out of interest, what does your friend do?
    She's a physiotherapist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samtooth)
    Strathclyde is undoubtably one of the best business schools in Europe and even in the world. Why it isn't there is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    Strathclyde is undoubtably one of the best business schools in Europe and even in the world. Why it isn't there is beyond me.
    ... but its still only 12th on the ranks for business ..
    Bath is 4th on ranks for business and that isn't there either

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kati6)
    ... but its still only 12th on the ranks for business ..
    Bath is 4th on ranks for business and that isn't there either
    Strathclyde is misrepresented in tables, it's without a shadow of a doubt in the top 0.1% of business schools in Europe.

Now before you judge my views I don't even study there, but the teaching quality they offer is definitely not what is shown on these tables. How do I know this? My best friend's dad lectures there.

ReputationRep:
    Strathclyde is misrepresented in tables, it's without a shadow of a doubt in the top 0.1% of business schools in Europe.

Now before you judge my views I don't even study there, but the teaching quality they offer is definitely not what is shown on these tables.
    hmm ok ..

same with LSE .. apparently UCL and Warwick are better than LSE which they arn't

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kati6)
    hmm ok ..

same with LSE .. apparently UCL and Warwick are better than LSE which they arn't
    Well LSE is very specific, there's only 8,000 students there whereas there's 26,000 at Strathclyde, due to there being a lot more courses to choose from at Strathclyde, however LSE's economics degree speaks for itself.

It really does depend on what you define as being 'better', what would you consider UCL or Warwick to be better than LSE in?

ReputationRep:
    Well LSE is very specific, there's only 8,000 students there whereas there's 26,000 at Strathclyde, due to there being a lot more courses to choose from at Strathclyde, however LSE's economics degree speaks for itself.

It really does depend on what you define as being 'better', what would you consider UCL or Warwick to be better than LSE in?
    well put it this way, my boyfriend goes to LSE studying Economics and he has already been offered jobs, the only thing i would consider Warwick , UCL is the range of courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kati6)
    well put it this way, my boyfriend goes to LSE studying Economics and he has already been offered jobs, the only thing i would consider Warwick , UCL is the range of courses.
    LSE is the summit of economics though, if he wasn't offered jobs something would've been wrong. As for Warwick and UCL well considering that LSE don't offer 3/4 of the courses they both offer, it's only normal, however when matched up against the likes of Oxford or Cambridge things are no longer the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MeanMachine)
    Have you ever been to Leicester? Do you know much about it, either as a city or university? I'd wager not.

I was a UCL-to-be student until my results came through, but I have to say I actually feel more at home here at Leicester than I ever felt attached to UCL. It is a fantastic place.

As for the OP, degrees are worth something wherever you go an whatever you do, because the focus is on personal development and not just on academia these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    Bath isn't on that list, therefore it's ********
    This. So no, a degree isn't worthless.

ReputationRep:

Now before you judge my views I don't even study there, but the teaching quality they offer is definitely not what is shown on these tables. How do I know this? My best friend's dad lectures there.
    Okay Im not saying that its not a good school. Ive never really looked into it. But assuming your right and its a top quality business school. Why such low entry criteria? I only mention it because if its as great as you say with an offer of BBC. I may have found my reserve reserve.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamz0770)
    Okay Im not saying that its not a good school. Ive never really looked into it. But assuming your right and its a top quality business school. Why such low entry criteria? I only mention it because if its as great as you say with an offer of BBC. I may have found my reserve reserve.
    Well, I'm not behind the why's and what's of the university, but these are 4-5 year undergraduate degrees, whereas in England the degrees are usually 3 years. At the end of the day time is money.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 12, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.