Turn on thread page Beta

Help me get bigger watch

ReputationRep:
    Protein shakes aren't much use for beginners to be honest. You will be able to eat the needed protein during the day to see normal gains. Save your £40 odd for now - When you are visibly bigger, start buying them because you will need to increase the amount of protein intake every day to keep the speed of your gains consitent.

Protein shakes are for when you struggle to eat enough protein during the day, not to replace the chicken breast you could have at lunch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RollerBall)
    Alright, I'll lay off them for a while then and see how it goes.

For now I don't really want to do free weights because I can't get a decent squatter and would prefer to use machines at my local esporta.

Any ideas of what I can do? I figure I've got enough time for an hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays then two hours or so on Sundays.

Is this enough? I don't want to neglect cardio either.
    Machines really aren't worth the hassle. Free weights are where it's at!
    Do cardio, but not too much. You don't want to waste calories that could be used by your muscles.

What do you mean by a squatter?

Alright, I'll lay off them for a while then and see how it goes.

For now I don't really want to do free weights because I can't get a decent squatter and would prefer to use machines at my local esporta.

Any ideas of what I can do? I figure I've got enough time for an hour on Tuesdays and Thursdays then two hours or so on Sundays.

Is this enough? I don't want to neglect cardio either.
    Yeah 3 times a week is fine? You want to get bigger you need to get stronger, you don't see big guy's lifting 5kg. I squat without spotter's and it's fine if you dont try to be an idiot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JemSevenV)
    Machines really aren't worth the hassle. Free weights are where it's at!
    Do cardio, but not too much. You don't want to waste calories that could be used by your muscles.

What do you mean by a squatter?
    I meant to say spotter, my bad.

(Original post by Rucklo)
    Yeah 3 times a week is fine? You want to get bigger you need to get stronger, you don't see big guy's lifting 5kg. I squat without spotter's and it's fine if you dont try to be an idiot.
    What would you say about free weights vs machines? I have difficulty getting access to free weights, but I have fairly easy access to machines in school because you need to book the free weights and stuff and they're really dodgy letting students use them, even upper sixth.

What would you say about free weights vs machines? I have difficulty getting access to free weights, but I have fairly easy access to machines in school because you need to book the free weights and stuff and they're really dodgy letting students use them, even upper sixth.
    I will get slated for saying this but meh.

A mate I go to the gym with mainly only use machines and he is growing and getting stronger fine. Providing you up the weights and are hitting every muscle group, I don't think it really matters. Take's more exercises to do this with machines but thats up to you.

ReputationRep:

A mate I go to the gym with mainly only use machines and he is growing and getting stronger fine. Providing you up the weights and are hitting every muscle group, I don't think it really matters. Take's more exercises to do this with machines but thats up to you.
    So it's better to have a mix? I'm planning on doing benchs/chin ups etc and then machines. I know I'll have great difficulty doing squats etc since they're really funny with the free weights.

The exception with the bench press is that it's kind of rigged on a machine so you're far less likely to hurt yourself since it just kind of slips into a holder. Chin ups arn't technicaly free weights, but you know what I mean. I think the school is just really OCD with health and safety.

ReputationRep:

Lol You won't get slated for that! Machines work, just not as well as free weights.

Just for the record - You don't need a spotter until you start lifting weights that can take your face off if your arm gives way. With all the shizz you eat, I'm guessing you can bench around a max of 25kg/35kg?

So it's better to have a mix? I'm planning on doing benchs/chin ups etc and then machines. I know I'll have great difficulty doing squats etc since they're really funny with the free weights.
    Its better to do free weights because they hit the stabilizer muscles as well, and if you do machines and can't use free weights you still need to do the main compound's.

ReputationRep:
    Lol You won't get slated for that! Machines work, just not as well as free weights.

Just for the record - You don't need a spotter until you start lifting weights that can take your face off if your arm gives way. With all the shizz you eat, I'm guessing you can bench around a max of 25kg/35kg?
    Probably about 25-30kg. I'm going to look like a nob next to all the roiders with my pussy weights.

ReputationRep:
    I know I'll have great difficulty doing squats
    Squats are an integral part of it, unfortunately for you. Either way, you don't need a spotter for squats - Just drop the ******* on the floor if you can't do it!

ReputationRep:
    Probably about 25-30kg. I'm going to look like a nob next to all the roiders with my pussy weights.
    No you won't. Everybody, that's EVERYBODY has to start with what you say are 'pussy weights'. Arnie wasn't born with 50 inch biceps.

Just remember this cheesy saying: Weight lifting is a marathon, not a sprint.

No you won't. Everybody, that's EVERYBODY has to start with what you say are 'pussy weights'. Arnie wasn't born with 50 inch biceps.

Just remember this cheesy saying: Weight lifting is a marathon, not a sprint.
    Jay Cutler did have 15.5 inch arms I read before he stepped into a gym.

But unless your planning on becomming Mr O then you don't need to worry about that .

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Machines are fine if you are just beginning to do resistance training. They are not quite as effective as free weights because they don't train the stabilising muscles, but as a beginner you shouldn't notice any difference in gains from using machines.

The best exercises to increase size and strength are compound exercises. These are movements that use more than one joint and muscle group, for example bench press, squats etc.

I would recommend two full body weights workouts per week. It is better to have two or three days rest between sessions but since you are only able to train Tues, Wed and Thurs, I recommend doing one weights session on Tuesday and one on Thursday. You should rest on Wednesday or do cardio. Remember that your muscles grow when you rest them and if they have not recovered from the previous workout then you are not going to see results.

This is the program I would recommend for you:

Do 3 sets per exercise.
    10-12 repititions per set.

Do a 5 minute warm up before you start lifting weights.
    Make sure you go to failure on the last set. That is when you physically cannot lift the weight any more. Be aware that you will probably think you have reached failure before your muscles actually have.
    Lift a slightly lighter weight on the first set as a warm up.
    Exhale as you lift the weight up and inhale as you lower it.
    It should take one full second to lift the weight and two seconds to lower it.

The exercises I recommend are:

Chest Press
    Seated Row
    Shoulder Press
    Lat Pull down
    Leg Press
    Crunches

Drink a protein shake after the work out. You need quality food for your body to be able to build muscle so make sure you are eating lots of fresh fruit and veggies as well as quality sources of protein and carbs. Don't be scared to eat a lot and regularly as your body will need a lot of calories to build muscle.

I hope that helps, if you have any questions let me know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Brandenburg)
    Hi,

Machines are fine if you are just beginning to do resistance training. They are not quite as effective as free weights because they don't train the stabilising muscles, but as a beginner you shouldn't notice any difference in gains from using machines.

The best exercises to increase size and strength are compound exercises. These are movements that use more than one joint and muscle group, for example bench press, squats etc.

I would recommend two full body weights workouts per week. It is better to have two or three days rest between sessions but since you are only able to train Tues, Wed and Thurs, I recommend doing one weights session on Tuesday and one on Thursday. You should rest on Wednesday or do cardio. Remember that your muscles grow when you rest them and if they have not recovered from the previous workout then you are not going to see results.

This is the program I would recommend for you:

Do 3 sets per exercise.
    10-12 repititions per set.

Do a 5 minute warm up before you start lifting weights.
    Make sure you go to failure on the last set. That is when you physically cannot lift the weight any more. Be aware that you will probably think you have reached failure before your muscles actually have.
    Lift a slightly lighter weight on the first set as a warm up.
    Exhale as you lift the weight up and inhale as you lower it.
    It should take one full second to lift the weight and two seconds to lower it.

Chest Press
    Seated Row
    Shoulder Press
    Lat Pull down
    Leg Press
    Crunches

Drink a protein shake after the work out. You need quality food for your body to be able to build muscle so make sure you are eating lots of fresh fruit and veggies as well as quality sources of protein and carbs. Don't be scared to eat a lot and regularly as your body will need a lot of calories to build muscle.

Homo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick Brandenburg)
    Hi,

Machines are fine if you are just beginning to realise your own latent homosexuality. They are no where nears as effective as free weights because they don't train the stabilising muscles, make you look gay and require you to wear vests, so as a beginner you shouldn't notice any of the machines unless it is occupied by a cardio bunny in a skimpy outfit.

The best exercises to increase size and strength are compound exercises. These are movements that use more than one joint and muscle group, for example squats, squats, more squats and deadlifts etc.

I would recommend two full body rubdowns by large homosexuals per week. It is better to have two or three days rest between sessions but since you are only able to train Tues, Wed and Thurs, I recommend doing one front and one back session on Tuesday and one on Thursday. You should rest on Wednesday or do artistic dance. Remember that your love muscle may grow at the stimulation so you must rest and wash them them and if they have not recovered from the previous workout then you are not going to see results.

This are the programs I would recommend for you:

Loose Women
    Jeremy kyle
    Two and a half men
    Eastenders
    Do a 5 minute warm up before you start watching incase of clips of half naked men.
    Make sure you go to failure on the last set. That is when you physically cannot lift frap any more. Be aware that you will probably think you have reached failure before your muscles actually have.
    Lift a slightly lighter pace on the first set as a warm up.
    Exhale as you lift the stroke up and inhale as you lower it.
    It should take one full second to stroke down and two seconds to bring it back for maximum tease.

Chest Press - gay
    Seated Row - gay
    Shoulder Press - gay
    Lat Pull down - gay
    Leg Press - gay
    Crunches - super gay

Drink a protein shake after the work out - I don't seem to understand that the first thing the body needs is to replenish its glycogen stores and for this it needs glucose. You need quality food for your body to be able to build muscle, but as I don't know what that is I should GTFO so make sure you are eating lots of fresh fruit and veggies as well as quality sources of protein and carbs. Don't be scared to eat a lot and regularly as your body will need a lot of calories to build muscle.

I fixed it to what you were trying to say

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Powerlifter)
    I fixed it to what you were trying to say
    Jeremy Kyle? Damn it, im missing it, its on now!!! :woo:

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.