Broke A2 student wants to go to Damascus Watch

Haft_Hasht_Shish
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by beefmaster)
yeah things are going good..still doing arabic and history, and its becoming very hard now. Applied for AUC and AUB so hopefully i get one ofthem!

you planning any more trips out to sham?
Good luck with the app process! Which one do you prefer? I talked to some AUC students (American & Egyptians) in Cairo and got a 'so-so' response to the teaching standards.

Yeah I should be heading out to Sham in June, Lebanon again and most of all Iran. After this years political > visa issues, hopefully things don't flare up and the MFA give me that code.
beefmaster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by Haft_Hasht_Shish)
Good luck with the app process! Which one do you prefer? I talked to some AUC students (American & Egyptians) in Cairo and got a 'so-so' response to the teaching standards.

Yeah I should be heading out to Sham in June, Lebanon again and most of all Iran. After this years political > visa issues, hopefully things don't flare up and the MFA give me that code.
Well then I will see you again for sure, maybe ill apply for an iranian visa again and we can spend a bit of time there?

I prefer Beirut, but I would love to live in Cairo too. SO who knows! let me know when you start apply for the visa and ill start mine too.
Haft_Hasht_Shish
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by beefmaster)
Well then I will see you again for sure, maybe ill apply for an iranian visa again and we can spend a bit of time there?

I prefer Beirut, but I would love to live in Cairo too. SO who knows! let me know when you start apply for the visa and ill start mine too.
Yeah, it would be great if we could travel Iran together.

I've been told to re-apply for the visa in Feb but will let you know when I do. Did you manage to get that refund for the last app?
Dirks
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
As someone has already suggested- flying to Turkey on easyjet or somesuch(Istanbul is dead cheap to fly too), and then overland. Cost less than getting to Paris and back for a romantic weekend.

You can get a nightrain with mucho comfy reclining chairs going Istanbul-Adana (just by the border) for about £20. After that you can get buses to Aleppo in northern Syria regularly, taking about an hour or so. Once you get into Syria there's intercity buses for the price of a sandwich in the UK. As a rule Syria is about as far from expensive as can possibly be imagined.

I did this myself earlier this year. It wasn't difficult at all, and I had no arabic whatsoever.

As cheap holiday go, Syria is VERY doable. The currency has been deliberately undervalued, and its cheap to begin with, especially if you are happy to take absolute basics. If you're going in the summer for instance you can get a mattresses on a rooftop for about 3 quid a night.

This website is a good starting place for getting to Syria http://www.seat61.com/Syria.htm#Istanbul

In terms of accommodation the Lonely Planet guides and travel wiki are pretty decent at identifying some cheap, but decent hostels (I didn't stay anywhere particularly awesome there though: there are possibly some better places out there).

I was only in Syria for about a week (was doing the rest of the middle east as well), but it was quite unforgettable- pretty unique even in the middle east, never mind the rest of the world. Get used to loving the picture the Bashar Assad, he will be your constant companion!

Do remember to budget it the cost of a visa (32 pounds for single entry) and entry and exit taxes (I recall being hit with a 500 syrian pound (about 8 quid) charge several times, but I did exit and enter the country more than once).
BillyM
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
I've looked up the cheapness of getting to Istanbul, and it is dirty cheap. There is a bus from istanbul to antakya every night at 8 ( i think) and it arrives in antakya, right by the the border, at about 2 in the afternoon the following day. Then you can catch a bus straight from there to Damascus for like a fiver. I know this because I did Istanbul -> Damascus last summer. Definitely looks like the cheapest way!
beefmaster
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 9 years ago
(Original post by BillyM)
I've looked up the cheapness of getting to Istanbul, and it is dirty cheap. There is a bus from istanbul to antakya every night at 8 ( i think) and it arrives in antakya, right by the the border, at about 2 in the afternoon the following day. Then you can catch a bus straight from there to Damascus for like a fiver. I know this because I did Istanbul -> Damascus last summer. Definitely looks like the cheapest way!
You can get a bus direct from Istanbul to Damascus with no changes. And its so cheap, just takes 30 hours!! When were you in Damascus? I was there last summer also.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you ever experienced bullying?

Yes (387)
74.42%
No (133)
25.58%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed