Turn on thread page Beta

Why does my Clio only do 80mph? watch

ReputationRep:
    no way will a 1.2 clio get 120 mine is a 1.4 and 109 is official top speed. even it was 16v no way. bhp depletes over time so youll most likely never get its official out of it when its 7 years old.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaneC)
    Then the online encyclopaedia is wrong. A 1.2 Clio will not do 120, expect around 105.
    Something is very wrong then.
    not nessarily my ka used to feel like that eventho i knew it would get up to around 90-95 if i pushed it. Some people just think a engine which is making the typical sounds of working hard sounds like its going to explode.

OP what makes you think it sounds like it going to explode

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    at between 70-80mph on the motorway, I have to lift off my throttle because I fear the engine will explode.
    I don't think 4,000 revs is excessive... Is it in the red?

I drive for hours on end with my Seat at well over 4000 revs.

I think you may just be worrying too much, just keep your foot flat down and see what it gets up to, its not going to explode. It's a car not a nuclear sub.

get it serviced anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    or maybe he is. that would be the problem.
    weight is a real performance killer :p:
    At least it was a bit more imaginative than 'because you touch yourself at night'. :p:

online encyclopediae say a Clio can get to a top speed of 120mph
    A Clio can, it's just that your particular type of Clio can't.
    Here's the stats for your perusal.
    For that year of Clio only the 1.6 will do 120, there are other years with a 1.8 that'll do it and obviously the V6/172/182 will pass it.

ReputationRep:
    At 80mph (on a clear piece of road with no traffic or kids around) my Clio clocked up 40,000 on the rev counter. The Clio is supposed to have a top speed of 120mph, not that I would ever drive that fast anyway.

But at 80mph it sounded like my engine would explode. Is there anything wrong with the car? Is that normal?
    1. It's a clio

2. It can go up to the speed limit. Be happy with that.

QED

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Try in 4th, 5th is an overdrive and has bugger all turning force. You run out of torque in 5th, 4th is where its at.
    I dont know of any modern cars that dont max out in 5th tbh.

Im guessing the car needs a service. And theres no way a 1.2 will do 120mph :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lara C.)
    Depends how tall the cliff is

ReputationRep:
    no-one mentioned cars lose BHP over the years?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    Depends how tall the cliff is
    It would still probably pack up and stop :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    no-one mentioned cars lose BHP over the years?
    No because the majority of us know what were talking about :p:

ReputationRep:
    No because the majority of us know what were talking about
    why would top gear lie to me?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adonis)
    why would top gear lie to me?
    Top Gear = Entertainment.

/Answer.

ReputationRep:
    Well serviced cars will not lose power. The average poorly serviced car will. TBH the car in question sounds like it needs a bloody good service!

ReputationRep:
    Meh, I've had a 1.1 V reg Saxo up to about 97 before (then I got scared :p:), so I would have thought a newer, larger engined Clio shouldn't struggle at 80. If it really sounds 'like youe engine would explode', get it looked at.

ReputationRep:
    I dont know of any modern cars that dont max out in 5th tbh.

:lolwut:

U srs?

ReputationRep:
    Top Gear = Entertainment.

/Answer.
    Cars do lose BHP over the years due to wear to the cylinder liners, piston rings and bearings which reduce efficiency and increase blow by. Compression is less and therefore BHP is considerably less.

You can service a car till the cows come home, but if an engine lacks compression due to wear, you are screwed.

ReputationRep:
    ...take the hand-brake off?

Lol joking. Something's wrong with your motor though. I'd understand if it was an older car as my mates 1.1 fiesta had a top speed of 76mph (on a flat road) and my 1.4 fiesta was around 95mph where when it was new it was supposed to get to around 112mph.

Question is... how nice have the 7 years been to your car?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Cars do lose BHP over the years due to wear to the cylinder liners, piston rings and bearings which reduce efficiency and increase blow by. Compression is less and therefore BHP is considerably less.

You can service a car till the cows come home, but if an engine lacks compression due to wear, you are screwed.
    And you think that is causing an 2002 Clio to run at 80mph max? :rolleyes:

Sometimes your head is screwed on just a little too tight Graham :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: October 14, 2009
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.