The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Aim higher than Newcastle. Have somewhere like York, Southampton, or Birmingham as your lowest spot and then apply for four better universities - though only do this if you don't mind getting four rejections (since anything above is extremely competitive and is just luck really).
achard
York and Newcastle are good safeties, so might want another "dream" uni for your fifth choice, unless you are especially pessimistic about your chances, in which case I'd suggest Southampton which is one of the best unis for econs without a hyper competitive admission policy.

Out of 10 what are my chances of getting an offer from Durham?
.ACS.
Aim higher than Newcastle. Have somewhere like York, Southampton, or Birmingham as your lowest spot and then apply for four better universities - though only do this if you don't mind getting four rejections (since anything above is extremely competitive and is just luck really).

I might do that yeah, York as my lowest, But my faviourte is Durham do you know my chances? Realistically and why?
Reply 23
deathmaster3000
I might do that yeah, York as my lowest, But my faviourte is Durham do you know my chances? Realistically and why?

I'm sorry, I haven't the foggiest. I looked into Durham but wasn't keen on the actual course so didn't look any further as to the competitiveness.
Reply 24
pow!
warwick is often regarded as slightly stronger than durham at economics. as long as you have 5A*'s at GCSE (Durham's requirement) then im sure they wont be fussed about your english lang - especially as economics is very mathematical at university.]

Durham doesn't have a 5A* GCSE requirement. They will look at GCSEs but beyond what they do say themselves (that they look for As and A*s at GCSE and normally require an A* at English Lang at Maths) we can only speculate.

http://www.dur.ac.uk/dbs/degrees/undergrad/economics/applying/

So the lack of English A*s is a potential problem. But if the application is otherwise strong and they see potential in the OP (or the OP is from a poor state school) then they may give an offer regardless of the lack of an A* in English,.

Moved to the economics forum.
Reply 25
River85
Durham doesn't have a 5A* GCSE requirement.

"Thank you for your enquiry. We prefer not to see both Economics and Business Studies taken together, but as part of a four A-Level package, this is less problematic. One thing I do note, however, is that we are looking for 5 A* results at GCSE."
Reply 26
Good luck :biggrin:
Reply 27
pow!
"Thank you for your enquiry. We prefer not to see both Economics and Business Studies taken together, but as part of a four A-Level package, this is less problematic. One thing I do note, however, is that we are looking for 5 A* results at GCSE."

I take it that's an email reply? I still don't see this as being evidence of a clear annual requirement.

Also there's a difference between "looking for" (a preference but exceptions can be made in students with significant potential and/or from poor performing schools) and an actual requirement. But you still said the lack of A* at English doesn't matter, it potentially does.
Reply 28
deathmaster3000
Hello I was just wondering whether or not I should even bother applying to any of the top universities for Economics.
In my GCSes I managed to scrape up 6A*'s 2A's and 3B's.
Then AS levels

Maths - A
Geography - A
Further Maths - C :frown:
Art - A

predicted AAAB.

Should be ok with unis outside the TAELT top 11 as you have maths grade a. Although some unis may be concerned by the lack of Economics.
By top 11 standards:
Weaknesses
i) No Economics (or Business)
ii) 4 AS-levels but not sure how respected Art is.
iii) 6 GCSE A*s (LSE like 9, but enough for Durham who like 5).

Neutral
i)4 A-levels but not sure how respected Art is.
ii)FM A-level but AS grade c (A2 predicted B)

deathmaster3000
applying to Durham, Warwick, York, Newcastle and haven't made up my mind on the last one?

Out of 10 what are my chances of getting an offer for each university?

Thank you.

My estimates
Warwick, 1 (offer requires admissions to behave oddly)
Durham 2 (GCSE A*s look good)
York 9 (fail only if York move goal posts
Newcastle 10 (the look for GCSE grade and you have Maths A-level grade A)
Paulwhy
Should be ok with unis outside the TAELT top 11 as you have maths grade a. Although some unis may be concerned by the lack of Economics.
By top 11 standards:
Weaknesses
i) No Economics (or Business)
ii) 4 AS-levels but not sure how respected Art is.
iii) 6 GCSE A*s (LSE like 9, but enough for Durham who like 5).

Neutral
i)4 A-levels but not sure how respected Art is.
ii)FM A-level but AS grade c (A2 predicted B)

My estimates
Warwick, 1 (offer requires admissions to behave oddly)
Durham 2 (GCSE A*s look good)
York 9 (fail only if York move goal posts
Newcastle 10 (the look for GCSE grade and you have Maths A-level grade A)

Durham 2/10 :eek: oh no thats not good.

I thought I had a bit of a better chance than that to be honest? So having not done business or economics is holding me back so I might do that in a gap year and maybe another A level. What are considered to be strengths how can I improve my application? I am worried now.
deathmaster3000

I thought I had a bit of a better chance than that to be honest? So having not done business or economics is holding me back so I might do that in a gap year and maybe another A level. What are considered to be strengths how can I improve my application? I am worried now.

2/10 really? I thought the chances would be higher than that?
Reply 31
deathmaster3000

Having looked at the Durham applciants; offer ratio (from academic stats spreadsheet applicants) maybe I was over-peesimistic:
06/07 2.40 41.67%
07/08 1.94 51.46%

But I was thinking of a few issues in comparison with other applicants:
i)no Economics (or Business)
ii)Got Art A-level
iii)Doing FM but currently grade c.

So Net effect is you have 2 strong A-levels with good grades (Maths, Geography) plus 1 weak A-level (Art) and 1 A-level with low grades (FM). So that is not a great net position.

So putting that into Durham overall offer generosity, maybe you get a 3.
Paulwhy
Having looked at the Durham applciants; offer ratio (from academic stats spreadsheet applicants) maybe I was over-peesimistic:
06/07 2.40 41.67%
07/08 1.94 51.46%

But I was thinking of a few issues in comparison with other applicants:
i)no Economics (or Business)
ii)Got Art A-level
iii)Doing FM but currently grade c.

So Net effect is you have 2 strong A-levels with good grades (Maths, Geography) plus 1 weak A-level (Art) and 1 A-level with low grades (FM). So that is not a great net position.

So putting that into Durham overall offer generosity, maybe you get a 3.

Well thanks anyway you were a big help but I figured I might aswell have a risky one down if you know what I mean otherwise they'd all be safe and well thats just boring lol.

06/07 2.40 41.67%
07/08 1.94 51.46%

does this mean that 41.67% were made an offer in 06/07 from the total applicants? or something else?

Anyways on improving m application?

The big one being I have no economics (or business) I guess and that you think I have a 'soft' A level.
But I will be ok for York?
Reply 33
deathmaster3000
Well thanks anyway you were a big help but I figured I might aswell have a risky one down if you know what I mean otherwise they'd all be safe and well thats just boring lol.

06/07 2.40 41.67%
07/08 1.94 51.46%

does this mean that 41.67% were made an offer in 06/07 from the total applicants?

yes.

What Admission Statistics are there?
Admission Statistics for all the RRC and RC unis
For each of the top 11 unis have collated for each year:
i)Applicants
ii)Offers
iii)Places
and from those 3 key variables derived:
i) Applicants per Place
ii)Applicants per Offer

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=900865

deathmaster3000

do a good PS.

deathmaster3000
The big one being I have no economics (or business) I guess and that you think I have a 'soft' A level.

Should be fine for York. e.g. 9 is pessimistic
Paulwhy
yes.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=900865

do a good PS.

Should be fine for York. e.g. 9 is pessimistic

Your great. but are you a natural pessimist?
deathmaster3000

06/07 2.40 41.67%
07/08 1.94 51.46%

does this mean that 41.67% were made an offer in 06/07 from the total applicants? or something else?

Good luck.
Reply 36
beatleboar
Your great. but are you a natural pessimist?

I gave 9 because:
i) I did not want to claim certainty (10)
ii) and did not want to give a fraction.
Paulwhy
I gave 9 because:
i) I did not want to claim certainty (10)
ii) and did not want to give a fraction.

3/10 is still pretty bad lol.
I am not liking my chances here.
I thought I have done quite well to get AAAC but obviously not :frown:.
I might do a few A levels in a gap year or something , would this be a good idea?
Reply 38
deathmaster3000
3/10 is still pretty bad lol.
I am not liking my chances here.
I thought I have done quite well to get AAAC but obviously not :frown:.

Well the 'average' applicant has a 40% or 50% chance. So 30% is only a 10%-20% reduction. Not bad given no Economics and questionable 3rd A-level.

deathmaster3000
I might do a few A levels in a gap year or something , would this be a good idea?

Economics A-level would help.
Paulwhy
Well the 'average' applicant has a 40% or 50% chance. So 30% is only a 10%-20% reduction. Not bad given no Economics and questionable 3rd A-level.

Economics A-level would help.

Doesn't that depend what they or you class as the average applicant?

Latest

Trending

Trending