Turn on thread page Beta

It is up to you to check you have the right paper, so I don't see how this is a extenuating circumstance that you didn't check the paper?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deathtoalevel)
    When one is taught a different syllabus, and is entered for a different paper that is not relevant to what is taught.

It was unaware for me to realise that it was the wrong one because well ; it was a similar question paper as it was of the Same Subject but obviously not the one relevent to what I was taught
    I fully understand that everyone in your year took the wrong specification.

But you will be picked on by Oxford admissions tutor if the subject does not vary very much between different exam boards.

I don't understand, why are you not telling us which subject this is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rucklo)
    It is up to you to check you have the right paper, so I don't see how this is a extenuating circumstance that you didn't check the front of the paper?

Well that was the school's fault too because they told OP to check they had the wrong paper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinsley)
    I don't know why you feel the need to be rude.

I would have thought you would have known the specification of your exam seeing as you had done a lot of work for the exam..! And if you would like to take note, you have only JUST explained the above, so how was I meant to know your teachers told you to check you had that paper huh? Take a chill pill.

Edited to add: A Levels require a lot of homestudy, I'm sure you could have taught yourself the right things had you bothered to look for what they were before you sat the exam.
    sorry if i came across as rude , i didnt mean to be, i apologise

we were taught a spec, and told by the teacher that it the spec of which the exam would be based on. but in actual fact, it wasnt at all, we were taught a differnt spec, underneath the correct specification, and then, sat an exam, for a different paper, again thinking that it was the right one.

(Original post by Tinsley)
    Well that was the school's fault too because they told OP to check they had the wrong paper
    Sorry, didn't read rest of the page :p:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinru)
    I fully understand that everyone in your year took the wrong specification.

But you will be picked on by Oxford admissions tutor if the subject does not vary very much between different exam boards.

I don't understand, why are you not telling us which subject this is?
    Yes, but the questions do.

ReputationRep:
    what subject?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lets_make_some_music)
    what subject?
    Sociology.
    It has no relevance to what i am applying for at uni

ReputationRep:
    sorry if i came across as rude , i didnt mean to be, i apologise

we were taught a spec, and told by the teacher that it the spec of which the exam would be based on. but in actual fact, it wasnt at all, we were taught a differnt spec, underneath the correct specification, and then, sat an exam, for a different paper, again thinking that it was the right one.
    I think that people may be trying to point out that there is a difference between (e.g.) being taught Nuffield Chemistry and getting the other version Edexcel do, and being taught Modern History and getting papers on pre-Renaissance stuff.

Having seen the above post, Sociology tends to fall into the latter.

ReputationRep:
    When one is taught a different syllabus, and is entered for a different paper that is not relevant to what is taught.

It was unaware for me to realise that it was the wrong one because well ; it was a similar question paper as it was of the Same Subject but obviously not the one relevent to what I was taught
    Out of interest what are you applying to study? I hope it's not English-based, because your grammar is really terrible!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swiftuk)
    I think that people may be trying to point out that there is a difference between (e.g.) being taught Nuffield Chemistry and getting the other version Edexcel do, and being taught Modern History and getting papers on pre-Renaissance stuff.

Having seen the above post, Sociology tends to fall into the latter.
    its the former not latter

eitherway, it doesn't account for the fact that i wasnt fully allowed to take my subjects actual paper itself.

ReputationRep:
    eitherway, i dont really care, so i dont see the big fuss that people have created.

hobnob really answered the q for me

ReputationRep:
    Sociology.
    It has no relevance to what i am applying for at uni
    Meh, it's Sociology. I'd doubt it'd make a difference if you got an A in it anyway :tongue:.

I did an IB economics paper once, but I got 90% so it didn't really matter...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mrs Carrothead)
    Meh, it's Sociology. I'd doubt it'd make a difference if you got an A in it anyway :tongue:.

I did an IB economics paper once, but I got 90% so it didn't really matter...

yeah i guess , i'm not too clued up about it

well done on you for ppe

ReputationRep:
    The new specifications aren't completely different from the old one's anyway. What grade did you get?

& has everyone in your class been forced to drop sociology, because they've scrapped the old spec now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adam92)
    The new specifications aren't completely different from the old one's anyway. What grade did you get?

& has everyone in your class been forced to drop sociology, because they've scrapped the old spec now.
    nope.
    some r retaking , some arent

it doesn really matter neway

ReputationRep:
    don't really care anymore and besides, if i did, doesnt matter if the specs were an inch to proximity, my right to do the right paper was sabotaged
    Seriously, stop stressing.

1) It was a subject unrelated to your application.

2) It was your 5th AS Level, which you planned to drop anyway.

3) Your school has admitted responsibility.

Nothing else you can do about it now.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Erm, guys, could you please stop beating up the OP for not noticing it was the wrong exam paper (or whatever it is that he ought to have done in your opinion)?:erm:
    The point is that it will have no effect on his application, because it was an additional AS-level in an unrelated subject and his underperformance is explained in his reference. That's all that needs to be said about this, really. Even if he could have prevented the low mark, it will not matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hobnob)
    Erm, guys, could you please stop beating up the OP for not noticing it was the wrong exam paper (or whatever it is that he ought to have done in your opinion)?:erm:
    The point is that it will have no effect on his application, because it was an additional AS-level in an unrelated subject and his underperformance is explained in his reference. That's all that needs to be said about this, really. Even if he could have prevented the low mark, it will not matter.

thank you

ReputationRep:
    Lolz, does having severe ADD count as extenuating circumstances? :flip: :nutcase:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.