Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    That's unfair, gogsoc is:
    Marxism, post-modernism, complaining, tea, lack of funding and classical references.

ReputationRep:
    Gah... my supervisor is sending me not-so-subtle clues in journals. In a short review she wrote in Science the other week, talking about work directly related to what I'm doing, featured the phrase "...offers a tantalizingly diverse range of potential extensions and applications. So, let’s roll up our sleeves and get back to work!", and in another yet to be published in Angewandte: "More work is necessary..."

(and yes, that is just a repost of something I've just said in the Dissertation thread in GUD. I thought you might appreciate it )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    cp, don't journals get submitted months in advance of publication? :p:

The Science one was a quick response/analysis on a paper published a few weeks ago (I think she was one of the reviewers), and the Angewandte review was subject to some very last-minute editing because of the impact of the previous paper.

ReputationRep:
    I don't like structured days that involved being awake before 8am, it isn't natural :dry:
    I'm not much of a fan of being awake before 11am, but that's my bit.

ReputationRep:
    Mwahaha!

I now know
    - Why I massively cocked up with the centrifuge and the TRIzol
    - Maybe why my RNA is coming out so rubbish

And while this is partly my fault, it is largely not, and makes me feel thoroughly vindicated re: my "yield obsession" as my supervisor has named it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cpchem)
    Gah... my supervisor is sending me not-so-subtle clues in journals. In a short review she wrote in Science the other week, talking about work directly related to what I'm doing, featured the phrase "...offers a tantalizingly diverse range of potential extensions and applications. So, let’s roll up our sleeves and get back to work!", and in another yet to be published in Angewandte: "More work is necessary..."

(and yes, that is just a repost of something I've just said in the Dissertation thread in GUD. I thought you might appreciate it )
    To be honest its probably more clues for the funding councils I'm afraid.

I've become a bit a lab monkey, at least temporarily, not that I particularly like wet chemistry anymore. Got to talk to a load of final year students tonight about how great the energy industry is. Hope none of them ask tough questions about climate change and protests.

ReputationRep:
    i just got in ... oops

ReputationRep:
    Today I am staring at my PC in a sleepy and useless way after the copious amount of free wine I necked at the PhD welcome reception last night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheQueenOfComputerScience)
    Today I am staring at my PC in a sleepy and useless way after the copious amount of free wine I necked at the PhD welcome reception last night.
    WELCOME? It's the middle of October, where have you been???

In other news, my RNA yield has improved by a factor of 10. I now feel justified in jumping around the lab screaming "I TOLD YOU PEOPLE SOMETHING WAS WRONG!!!" I am trying quite hard not to blame my postdoc for making me use the wrong centrifuge. EVERYTHING is good right now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bekaboo)
    WELCOME? It's the middle of October, where have you been???
    Heh I did think it a little odd that the welcome reception was 2 weeks after we started. Ah well was a good event, but i'm paying for my overindulgence today!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rmn002)
    I'm not much of a fan of being awake before 11am, but that's my bit.
    Spoken like a true Arts student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apotoftea)
    Spoken like a true Arts student
    I know. Next semester I'm aiming to have all my classes in the afternoon.:yep:

ReputationRep:
    Opened Matlab today for the first time in 6 months, went to write a function and realised I have completely forgotten how to.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but there is at least hope of you remembering it :p: I, however, am slowly introducing myself to the joys of UNIX, PLINK and awk... soon to be followed by IMPUTE, MACH, BEAGLE and MERLIN.
    You sound like someone who is doing GWAS.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Taking SNP GWAS, through imputation, to whole genome association, yep Got any good tips for crunching HapMap data? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Taking SNP GWAS, through imputation, to whole genome association, yep Got any good tips for crunching HapMap data? :p:
    You need a big computer. A very BIG one. Preferably one that no one else can use except you.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but there is at least hope of you remembering it :p: I, however, am slowly introducing myself to the joys of UNIX, PLINK and awk... soon to be followed by IMPUTE, MACH, BEAGLE and MERLIN.
    I thought you were supposed to be doing molecular biology, not compsci :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    athena, are you a teichmann person?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by cpchem)
    I thought you were supposed to be doing molecular biology, not compsci :tongue:
    So did I :dry:

Shiny: nope, Wellcome

ReputationRep:
    oh, you are one of those people :p:

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.