Turn on thread page Beta

Best musical city in Britain? watch

• View Poll Results: Best UK music city?
    London
    27.37%
    Manchester
    31.58%
    Birmingham
    4.21%
    Leeds
    4.21%
    Bristol
    8.42%
    Cardiff
    1.05%
    Liverpool
    9.47%
    Glasgow
    9.47%
    Sheffield
    3.16%
    Other
    1.05%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    london. Because we have grime and dubstep
    Grime is a redundant genre because it's got no bearing on contemporary music history. No one will remember grime in the future. As for dubstep that has it's roots in London maybe but a lot of the main dubstep producers are from elsewhere. Either way; how can it compare with the best bands of all time?

ReputationRep:
    Manchester Not that I'm biased or anything.. but seriously, lots of legendary bands from the past, and there are a lot of new bands cropping up that sound pretty cool. How exciting.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol- the birthplace of Trip-Hop.

There must be something in the water over there...

ReputationRep:
    London's good, but has had nowhere near the influence of Manchester. Acid house, the Haçienda, Madchester going into Britpop, all the indie bands, et cetera. Manchester wins.

ReputationRep:
    London: The Kinks, The Clash, Sex Pistols, Bloc Party, Libertines/Babyshambles, Roxy Music, The Rolling Stones, Squeeze.

Manchester: The Smiths, Joy Division, Simply Red, The Stone Roses, M People, Oasis.

Liverpool: The Beatles, Rick Astley :p:

Birmingham: Black Sabbath, Duran Duran, Ozzy Osbourne.

Glasgow: Glasvegas, Franz Ferdinand.

Sheffield: Arctic Monkeys.

Essex: The Prodigy.

I would choose Liverpool but only because the Beatles are my favourite band, otherwise London.

ReputationRep:
    Boston, Lincs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gueirguiy)

Liverpool: The Beatles, Rick Astley :p:
    Urg you did NOT just mention Rick Astley. Why don't you just RickRoll everyone while you're at it :p:

I'm going to have to vote Liverpool. Not for any of the conventional reasons either ( not a fan at ALL of the Beatles so that's not the reason), but because of the Royal Liverpool Phil, and all the jazz and funk and motown bands we have around.

I could be really nerdy too and say Liverpool has the most amount of kids in school playing instruments than anywhere else in the country, but I .... oh too late

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    Grime is a redundant genre because it's got no bearing on contemporary music history. No one will remember grime in the future. As for dubstep that has it's roots in London maybe but a lot of the main dubstep producers are from elsewhere. Either way; how can it compare with the best bands of all time?
    Well I chose those two subgenres for reasons other than their mainstream success. Grime was never invented to appeal to the massess. I think alot of people (mainly its core audience) will remember grime in the future because its one of the few genres that encapsulates the character of the city like no other genre does. Yeah, the beatles changed music forever but how much of an efffect has liverpool had on their music. I chose london cos when you hear the grime when you hear that classic punk you know its a london ting and you can feel ldn through that music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tha_Black_Shinobi)
    Well I chose those two subgenres for reasons other than their mainstream success. Grime was never invented to appeal to the massess. I think alot of people (mainly its core audience) will remember grime in the future because its one of the few genres that encapsulates the character of the city like no other genre does. Yeah, the beatles changed music forever but how much of an efffect has liverpool had on their music. I chose london cos when you hear the grime when you hear that classic punk you know its a london ting and you can feel ldn through that music
    I guess you're looking at your own perspective and not the bigger picture there.

ReputationRep:
    Anywhere but Plymouth; we have contributed **** all to British music and it depresses me

ReputationRep:
    Duh Bristol, home of Dub step, birth place to Porticehead. Love it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Altocirrus)
    Bristol- the birthplace of Trip-Hop.

There must be something in the water over there...
    :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Trigger)
    Duh Bristol, home of Dub step, birth place to Porticehead. Love it.
    Leeds, London and Manchester have bigger dubstep scenes than Bristol and WHO are Porticehead?

ReputationRep:
    Leeds, London and Manchester have bigger dubstep scenes than Bristol and WHO are Porticehead?
    We also are the home of Drum and base "Since the late 1970s, the city has been home to bands combining punk, funk, dub and political consciousness, amongst the most notable have been Glaxo Babies[98], The Pop Group[99] and trip hop or "Bristol Sound" artists such as Tricky,[100] Portishead[101] and Massive Attack;[102] the list of Bands from Bristol is extensive. It is also a stronghold of drum & bass with notable artists such as the Mercury Prize winning Roni Size/Reprazent[103] as well as the pioneering DJ Krust[104] and More Rockers.[105] This music is part of the wider Bristol urban culture scene which received international media attention in the 1990s.[106] Bristol has many live music venues, the largest of which is the 2,000-seat Colston Hall, named after Edward Colston. Others include the Bristol Academy, Fiddlers, Victoria Rooms, Trinity Centre, St George's Bristol and a range of public houses from the jazz-orientated The Old Duke to rock at the Fleece and Firkin and indie bands at the Louisiana.[107][108]"
    Woops Portishead, spelling fail.

ReputationRep:
    We also are the home of Drum and base "Since the late 1970s, the city has been home to bands combining punk, funk, dub and political consciousness, amongst the most notable have been Glaxo Babies[98], The Pop Group[99] and trip hop or "Bristol Sound" artists such as Tricky,[100] Portishead[101] and Massive Attack;[102] the list of Bands from Bristol is extensive. It is also a stronghold of drum & bass with notable artists such as the Mercury Prize winning Roni Size/Reprazent[103] as well as the pioneering DJ Krust[104] and More Rockers.[105] This music is part of the wider Bristol urban culture scene which received international media attention in the 1990s.[106] Bristol has many live music venues, the largest of which is the 2,000-seat Colston Hall, named after Edward Colston. Others include the Bristol Academy, Fiddlers, Victoria Rooms, Trinity Centre, St George's Bristol and a range of public houses from the jazz-orientated The Old Duke to rock at the Fleece and Firkin and indie bands at the Louisiana.[107][108]"
    Woops Portishead, spelling fail.
    Roni Size fairly big name in drum and bass. OK, not heard of the rest, but what about other than the urban scene?

Manchester for instance has strong representations in every genre virtually. And you have to look beyond music of today. What about music that influenced today's music? What about the household names in musical history?

ReputationRep:
    Roni Size fairly big name in drum and bass. OK, not heard of the rest, but what about other than the urban scene?

Manchester for instance has strong representations in every genre virtually. And you have to look beyond music of today. What about music that influenced today's music? What about the household names in musical history?
    If you don't think that Bristol has made any contribution to music then why the hell did you add it top the list? To make a musical city do they have to cover all genres? The fact that you haven't heard of the others is proof that you don't know that much about D+B but Bristol artists have contributed to the scene we have today. We still have at least 5 i can think of Drum and Base clubs who encourage new artists, run youth sessions to introduce kids to the genre etc...what more could you ask for? I don't give a rats behind about Manchester, i live in Bristol :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Bands from Bristol include Kosheen and the Wurzels. Nuff said.

ReputationRep:
    If you don't think that Bristol has made any contribution to music then why the hell did you add it top the list? To make a musical city do they have to cover all genres? The fact that you haven't heard of the others is proof that you don't know that much about D+B but Bristol artists have contributed to the scene we have today. We still have at least 5 i can think of Drum and Base clubs who encourage new artists, run youth sessions to introduce kids to the genre etc...what more could you ask for? I don't give a rats behind about Manchester, i live in Bristol :dontknow:
    I know enough to know that London has produced more, recognised drum and bass producers. Grooverider, Chase and Status, Squarepusher etc etc and can justifiably be called the home of dnb

ReputationRep:
    I know enough to know that London has produced more, recognised drum and bass producers. Grooverider, Chase and Status, Squarepusher etc etc and can justifiably be called the home of dnb
    Fine :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Fine :rolleyes:
    Ask anyone.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.