The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Scroll to see replies

THRASHx
Do you know the kinda of countries people are usually sent to? Or can it be anywhere?
Id like to have a year abroad but I dont wanna end up in some terrible country where I cant speak the language, it doesnt help when I can only speak English :p:

Hmm well the info I had on this topic is in England with most of my stuff to be honest but from memory I think most of Europe is an option, the Middle East (for people studying at the IAIS), America, Australia, Canada, Japan, Korea, New Zealand and Mexico to name but a few.

You can find some more info here:

http://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/studying/abroad/index.php

http://offices.exeter.ac.uk/international/study/erasmus/index.shtml

Hope that helps :smile:
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Reply 21
^^ English with a year in America is ridiculously competitive, though. Presumably it wouldn't be as competitive if the university let just anyone go there.
Exeter's main campus is also surprisingly diverse as a result of its openness to students studying overseas: it has many students there on its Erasmus programme from countries such as Greece, China, France and America.
Reply 22
Overall loving Exeter. I can't really add much to this discussion as most has already been said.

Students are incredibly varied and for the most part, not too RAH-y; something I was slightly concerned about (and I say this from experience as I'm at Holland Hall and everyone gives you the once over once you admit that). I have made incredible friends here who are normal, down to earth, worldly, and friendly people. I have been welcomed withopen arms into many different social circles which I love.

ow I dn't know what program you're applying for, but I know that I plan to spend my third year abroad in the Netherlands and there are no further language requirements. So don't be put off because of that!

The campus is also incredibly beautiful and picturesque which I think is vastly understated. Thereareso many stately manicured gardens and ponds and paths that you could explore forever! There is also quite a number of hills so you don't even need a gym membership to keep fit! :-D

The city is lovely, quaint and friendly like a small town, but big enough to have the major stores and ome larger clubs but yet a great nuber of small pubs. A true university city. It also feels safe, and although I personally never walk alone at night, I know quite a few people who feel very comfortable doing such here (but that wouldn't do it at any other time).
Reply 23
I love Exeter :heart:

In reply to the clubs are crap comment: the clubs in Exeter are relatively small compared to other cities but you can definitely have a good night out, there's somewhere for all tastes depending on your personality and alcohol intake will depends which one you like :yes: it's the people that make the place :suith: I wouldn't want to be anywhere else
kayzy
I love Exeter :heart:

In reply to the clubs are crap comment: the clubs in Exeter are relatively small compared to other cities but you can definitely have a good night out, there's somewhere for all tastes depending on your personality and alcohol intake will depends which one you like :yes: it's the people that make the place :suith: I wouldn't want to be anywhere else

Agree with this 100% :biggrin:
Reply 25
It all sounds so great guys! Thank you all who added something here, think I found the 5th choice :smile:
sophisticated
Agree with this 100% :biggrin:

:ditto: That is so true xD Woujldn't want to be anywhere else (hence why I'm applying for my PGCE here...twice! xD)
The club thing really isn't an issue. I usually go out in places with bigger night life and it hasn't been a problem yet-- I haven't had a night in apart from the night I was dying with Fresher's flu. Every night is a student night and there's always 2nd and 3rd year parties to go to on the weekend.

Angelil
^^ English with a year in America is ridiculously competitive, though. Presumably it wouldn't be as competitive if the university let just anyone go there.

Is it really that competitive? Before I applied I emailed the school to find out if it was more competitive than straight english and was told they're as competitive as each other.

I got BBB and took a year out to resit and was offered a place 2 days after I applied.
Reply 28
^^ meh, I just had the impression it was quite competitive.
Couldn't find any admissions statistics online though.
Exeter's awesome.
I haven't met one person I dislike since I've been here (and okay, I'm a tolerant person, but still!)
The staff I've encountered have all been really friendly and helpful, but obviously your experiences will vary
The campus itself is just lovely :smile:
And the city is really cool. It's a smaller city, so obviously we don't have massive-beyond-belief clubs and things, but generally I've found it to be pretty awesome.
I can't really add anything that hasn't been said already..
But definitely apply here. :biggrin:
Reply 30
Exeter is such a friendly place to go out. Rarely any trouble only normally some big banter.
Exeter is great :biggrin: Too great in fact, I'm on my year abroad this year and I really miss it!

Uni- obviously it'll vary from course to course, but my lecturers are great on the whole! There's a lot of choice in modules so I've always studied things that interest me. Everyone has a Personal Tutor in case you have any problems and subject lecturers are also very supportive. I'm in the UK visiting, and whilst I was in Exeter I had a meeting with the Year Abroad Co-ordinator- she gave me a hug & told me she'd visit me in France if I wanted, and take me out to dinner! :smile:

There's soooo much to get involved with in the uni/Guild, I've discovered lots of new interests since I got to Exe :smile: And we're amazing at volunteering, students at Exeter volunteer the most out of any UK uni!

The campus is gorgeous, although the Forum is going to change that :frown:

The town centre is great- everything is within walking distance but it's not too small! There are loads of shops, restaurants etc. For "things to do" there's the underground tunnels, cathedral, quay, and further afield- it's Devon, there's LOADS of stuff to do! Beaches, Dartmoor, lots of animal attractions, Crealy, Ottery St Mary tar barrels! :woo:

Nightlife- depends what you like! I like to have a chat and a bit of a boogie to some cheese :p: So Firehouse --> Arena is good for me! Firehouse pizzas are legendary. I've never felt unsafe walking around Exeter, even at 3am on my own. And I've never had a bad night out there (well, I have but only due to attacks of the grumpy brought on by alcohol!).

So to end this essay... I love Exeter and it's probably the best university in the world :wink:
Reply 32
JoRowlingRocks
Ottery St Mary tar barrels! :woo:

You going?

I live 2 mins away. Highlight of the year.
I can't this year, GUTTED! I'm in France, back in England at the mo but I'm teaching in a school and their half term ends on the 5th so I have to go back on the 4th :frown:
Reply 34
Ahhhhh you a missing out then. I love getting close enough to touch them. I might take some hessian clothes down this time and give it a go.
MaccyG
Exeter is such a friendly place to go out. Rarely any trouble only normally some big banter.

Aye, however it did make me giggle how some gobby student whining about getting chinned made front page news in Exepose... Silly sod! Shows how peaceful Exeter is really.
Reply 36
FiveFiveSix
Aye, however it did make me giggle how some gobby student whining about getting chinned made front page news in Exepose... Silly sod! Shows how peaceful Exeter is really.

Well they have to get their news from somewhere! :p: It's not every week people go around branding themselves... :rolleyes:
Peanut42
Well they have to get their news from somewhere! :p: It's not every week people go around branding themselves... :rolleyes:

Careful, that's a bit of a 'hot' topic...
Reply 38
FiveFiveSix
Careful, that's a bit of a 'hot' topic...

oh dear :no:
kayzy
oh dear :no:

:p:

Kays, I am sick :frown: Come nurse me? :puppyeyes:

Latest

Trending

Trending