Turn on thread page Beta

The difference between diesel and petrol cars watch

ReputationRep:
    I find that diesel cars generally feel a bit smoother. But yeah, you may stall a bit at first, but that won't last long. One thing I struggled to get used to was that you can drive with just the clutch in a diesel car, e.g. when moving slowly in traffic. When in a petrol, you need to use the accelerator.

Hope that helped

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, you will be fine. It will be different, but not much.

The whole 'diesals have loads more torque so...' comments can be taken with a pinch of salt two, yes they are slower and for the same power have more torque, but the gearboxes are matched to this and it all becomes less of a deal.

Plus, a lot of lot diesels actually stall quite easily, with modern ecu control petrols being quite hard to stall compared to any older engine anyway.

ReputationRep:
    There is really bugger all difference between diesel and petrol now, I can move off in my 1.4 petrol without using the accelerator. If you have smooth control then you don't need the accelerator.

The difference is that diesel can be more forgiving of mistakes, but it is not true to say either are any easier to drive. Indeed I think petrol is easier to learn in because of the higher rev band and having to change gear to move away, with a diesel you can be very lazy and it promotes not changing gear or true clutch control in a learner driver.

But meh, the real difference between diesel and petrol is the way they burn the fuel and ignite it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, even on an engine level both petrols and diesels are now typically common rail direct fuel injection, and as the compression ratios of petrols has risen there not about as close together as they can be, so it really is almost as much of a technicality as anything else!
    - Even if diesals are still dirty noisy smell things, and petrol the fluid of the gods...

Daniel

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.