Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Art galleries.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shortarse)
    I think places like the gym, pub with mates (and their friends), sports clubs and work (although apparently not in your case) are all good places to meet people. Now all I need is a job and a gym membership...

how do you meet people in the gym?? I dont think thats possible if youre solo

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to imagine life after uni!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MrBigShoes)
    supermarkets
    dole queue
    public transport
    That's the most depressing thing I've ever read.

Thanks, glad I'm not the only one

Another problem is that I've got a very small social circle in London which makes things a lot harder for chances to meet new people, I need to work on that as well. (reasons being I didn't do jobs around my studies (which I regret), my uni wasn't close to London, and most school friendships have become stale/they've moved away from the area (same school for way too long!).

Was so much easier at uni, as being surrounded by new people, so easy to build up friends and dating opportunities

Any other suggestions? all appreciated! any new sports/clubs etc in london where lots of similar aged people might go maybe?

ReputationRep:
    Political organisations?

ReputationRep:
    Through friends... friends of friends etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rotatoe)
    how do you meet people in the gym?? I dont think thats possible if youre solo
    Surely it can't be that bad? You can start up a conversation if you're waiting to use something, having issues with a machine, I mean granted you might have to start the conversation but I'm fairly sure that complete strangers have spoken to each other before.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Thanks, glad I'm not the only one

Another problem is that I've got a very small social circle in London which makes things a lot harder for chances to meet new people, I need to work on that as well. (reasons being I didn't do jobs around my studies (which I regret), my uni wasn't close to London, and most school friendships have become stale/they've moved away from the area (same school for way too long!).

Was so much easier at uni, as being surrounded by new people, so easy to build up friends and dating opportunities

Any other suggestions? all appreciated! any new sports/clubs etc in london where lots of similar aged people might go maybe?
    TSR?

ReputationRep:
    I have not met as many guys as I did whilst travelling this summer :ninja:

OP work, work socials, go everythere you are invited, volunteer (I volunteer at the zoo and on my team of about 25 on an average day you would get just 3 males)

My friend whow as working as a special constable (volunteer copper) met his now wife when he started speaking to her whilst on duty

Do you have any interests?

(Original post by ourlastmemory)
    That's the most depressing thing I've ever read.
    LOL.

Hey, dole queue isn't such a bad idea. I mean, a bunch of jobless poor people with the free time to stand in a queue for hours .. they might as well get it on?

(Original post by Rokit)
    I have not met as many guys as I did whilst travelling this summer :ninja:

OP work, work socials, go everythere you are invited, volunteer (I volunteer at the zoo and on my team of about 25 on an average day you would get just 3 males)

My friend whow as working as a special constable (volunteer copper) met his now wife when he started speaking to her whilst on duty

Do you have any interests?
    Yeh going to do some travelling at some point in the next 6 months. Unlikely to meet people who are in my area though.

Volunteer stuff sounds like an idea, will try that before getting involved in a career.

Got quite a few interests, mainly playing various sports, and playing music.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    LOL.

Hey, dole queue isn't such a bad idea. I mean, a bunch of jobless poor people with the free time to stand in a queue for hours .. they might as well get it on?
    :gah: You're baaaack!

(Original post by ourlastmemory)
    :gah: You're baaaack!
    :gah: You're frooooont!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Yeh going to do some travelling at some point in the next 6 months. Unlikely to meet people who are in my area though.

Volunteer stuff sounds like an idea, will try that before getting involved in a career.

Got quite a few interests, mainly playing various sports, and playing music.

So volunteer, sports teams or activities, travelling, a class of some sort (languages, woodwork, sewing etc), work, chance meetings

Start off with these. Make sure you go everywhere you are invited. I got invited to a party 2 weeks ago and abhorred the thought of going and could not be bothered. I pushed myself and went. The party was crap but I made one friend who I am going to the cinema with this weekend. As long as you are friendly, smiley etc people will want to meet you.
    Also be careful as writing people off as boring or uncool. I made that mistake once till I found out that the guy who I thought was uncool had the hottest friend ever (they were friends from childhood) needless to say by then I was too cool for school so did not get invites to any of the parties where I could actually talk to his then single friend. So do not be an A-hole
    Good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lefty Leo)
    LOL.

Strangely enough a girl I know met her bf on the benefits queue. Its lasted though although would not advise it :p:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 15, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.