Turn on thread page Beta

I don't really have any advice but I wanted you to know you're not alone. I suffer from a very similar thing.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    I don't really have any advice but I wanted you to know you're not alone. I suffer from a very similar thing.
    thx. i can give you my email if you want?

ReputationRep:
    Lucky you, i wish i could over eat.

Try being crippled by compulsive UNDER eating? Everything aching constantly, not concentrating on anything, not having any energy, always feeling ****. Its really much worse than over eating

ReputationRep:
    Your overeating is probably because you are effectively starving yourself for the whole beginning of the day, until your body just can't handle it anymore.

Try eating a nice, healthy, and real breakfest. Porridge, fruits, egg or two, some juice or tea. Then a warm lunch. In the evening your should be able to control yourself better. Couple of cereal bars, and a salad and sandwich are just way too little food to have during your day.

And talk to a doctor about your anxiety.

(Original post by mipegg)
    Lucky you, i wish i could over eat.

Try being crippled by compulsive UNDER eating? Everything aching constantly, not concentrating on anything, not having any energy, always feeling ****. Its really much worse than over eating
    I was ill with anorexia nervosa for a good few years before this.
    Trust me, I know.

(Original post by crema)
    Your overeating is probably because you are effectively starving yourself for the whole beginning of the day, until your body just can't handle it anymore.

Try eating a nice, healthy, and real breakfest. Porridge, fruits, egg or two, some juice or tea. Then a warm lunch. In the evening your should be able to control yourself better. Couple of cereal bars, and a salad and sandwich are just way too little food to have during your day.

And talk to a doctor about your anxiety.
    Perhaps you're right. I will definetly try that. Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    I'd recommend trying to distract yourself if you feel a binge coming on. I know it won't always work, but it's worth a try. Here is a list of distractions:

http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...ead.php?t=1403

The whole site should be helpful, in fact. If you find the eating disorders forum there are plenty of compulsive overeaters there and you might find it helpful to have people to talk to. I'd also seriously recommend that you get some sort of professional help. I understand being too embarrassed to go to the doctor but like someone else suggested you could see a counsellor at your uni.

Good luck and :hugs:

(Original post by PointeShoes-x)
    I'd recommend trying to distract yourself if you feel a binge coming on. I know it won't always work, but it's worth a try. Here is a list of distractions:

http://www.recoveryourlife.com/forum...ead.php?t=1403

The whole site should be helpful, in fact. If you find the eating disorders forum there are plenty of compulsive overeaters there and you might find it helpful to have people to talk to. I'd also seriously recommend that you get some sort of professional help. I understand being too embarrassed to go to the doctor but like someone else suggested you could see a counsellor at your uni.

Good luck and :hugs:
    the distractions page is amazing! thanks so much

ReputationRep:
    I was ill with anorexia nervosa for a good few years before this.
    Trust me, I know.
    I have it combined with extreme IBS, not a nice combo!

I have it combined with extreme IBS, not a nice combo!
    Ooh sexy, nothing like not being able to poo for a few days and then not being bale to control your bowel movements in the slightest?

ReputationRep:
    Ooh sexy, nothing like not being able to poo for a few days and then not being bale to control your bowel movements in the slightest?
    Not quite, I get the IBS symptoms of nausea, craps, headaches and irritability rather than the bowl movements. Combining that with a general desire to not eat to avoid feeling sick (anxiety ftw) leaves me not eating enough and knowing Im not but just not wanting to.

ReputationRep:
    You do sound like you need to see a doctor. Being constantly hungry (and not putting on that much weight, as you don't seem to) could indicate a problem with your thyroid or your female hormone levels.

There may be psychological issues behind your problem, but of course I am nowhere near able to address this. All I can do is give a few practical tips. Try drinking more to combat your hunger - I found herbal or fruit tea works particularly well, but water or juice would probably do the trick. When you eat, eat veg, e.g. carrots or celery. Perhaps try and see food as something to be enjoyed when we need it, but not something to be relied upon.

Hey, i can relate to this having been anorexic and bulimic, and still have tendencies. I think what helped me overcome the compulsion, to some extent, was eating properly in the day. A good breakfast like porridge filled me up and something at lunch and dinner kept the urges at bay. Also things like sugar free boiled sweets always help if i have cravings and i keep in mind the utter disgust i will feel at myself if i binge whenever i get the urge, because that disgust really is soul destroying. Plus it is EXPENSIVE (maybe irrelevant but true). Please get help with this and dont let it take over your life, you have so much ahead of you.

Hey, i can relate to this having been anorexic and bulimic, and still have tendencies. I think what helped me overcome the compulsion, to some extent, was eating properly in the day. A good breakfast like porridge filled me up and something at lunch and dinner kept the urges at bay. Also things like sugar free boiled sweets always help if i have cravings and i keep in mind the utter disgust i will feel at myself if i binge whenever i get the urge, because that disgust really is soul destroying. Plus it is EXPENSIVE (maybe irrelevant but true). Please get help with this and dont let it take over your life, you have so much ahead of you.
    I can sign under every word. I tried eating properly during the day today and Ive done a bit better... still managed to consume five chocolates in a go, but other than that it's been alright-ish.
    My face looks like a balloon and I threw up all over myself today so my bathroom horrible. Someone shouted 'butters' as I walked down the street today, and it made me think 'that's cos youre fat' although Ive never been even close to overweight in my life.
    Im trying to economise too and not spending money on this **** would really help.

Thanks so much. I really hope you are now recovered.

(Original post by Natasharox)
    You do sound like you need to see a doctor. Being constantly hungry (and not putting on that much weight, as you don't seem to) could indicate a problem with your thyroid or your female hormone levels.

There may be psychological issues behind your problem, but of course I am nowhere near able to address this. All I can do is give a few practical tips. Try drinking more to combat your hunger - I found herbal or fruit tea works particularly well, but water or juice would probably do the trick. When you eat, eat veg, e.g. carrots or celery. Perhaps try and see food as something to be enjoyed when we need it, but not something to be relied upon.
    I do put on weight, just not too much and I lose it all after these horrific binges eventually cease.
    I will definetly drink more, and I just had some celery which I actually really enjoyed.
    Baby steps. Thank you so much.

Not quite, I get the IBS symptoms of nausea, craps, headaches and irritability rather than the bowl movements. Combining that with a general desire to not eat to avoid feeling sick (anxiety ftw) leaves me not eating enough and knowing Im not but just not wanting to.
    Ah okay. That is horrible, and I can completely understand.
    Are you seeing anyone about this? Are you getting help?

ReputationRep:
    Ah okay. That is horrible, and I can completely understand.
    Are you seeing anyone about this? Are you getting help?
    Tried in the past, done not alot of good. It comes and goes every few months and around exams right now so I just dont know what to do, medication doesnt seem to do all that much for it so meh. Ill go moan at my doctor over half term, see if I can get anything new

ReputationRep:
    thx. i can give you my email if you want?
    Thought I'd be brave and go un-anon so that you can PM me if you want. I'm anon 4.

Tried in the past, done not alot of good. It comes and goes every few months and around exams right now so I just dont know what to do, medication doesnt seem to do all that much for it so meh. Ill go moan at my doctor over half term, see if I can get anything new
    What medication? Fluoxetine?
    I hope it gets better eventually! Maybe therapy?

(Original post by becki08)
    Thought I'd be brave and go un-anon so that you can PM me if you want. I'm anon 4.
    Thanks man. Check your inbox.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 16, 2009
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.