The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
If you go get the pads and stuff from a scrapy you will have to do it yourself and take the car out of the mot centre, so you will have to get the whole mot done again and pay the mot price again.
Reply 21
CJN
If you go get the pads and stuff from a scrapy you will have to do it yourself and take the car out of the mot centre, so you will have to get the whole mot done again and pay the mot price again.

Not always true, some fail items come under the free retest category,
and I think you get 10working days to fix other items, and the retest only covers the failed items, and the garage can only charge for up to have of the test cost (currently usually around £54)

"If the vehicle is removed from the testing station for repair and returned for retest within 10 working days following the day of failure, then only a partial retest is needed and a partial retest fee is charged.

In any other case a full retest is required and the full MOT test fee will be charged.

Only one free partial retest is permissable per full examination. "

Link
Reply 22
cRaig
Not always true, some fail items come under the free retest category,
and I think you get 10working days to fix other items, and the retest only covers the failed items, and the garage can only charge for up to have of the test cost (currently usually around £54)

"If the vehicle is removed from the testing station for repair and returned for retest within 10 working days following the day of failure, then only a partial retest is needed and a partial retest fee is charged.

In any other case a full retest is required and the full MOT test fee will be charged.

Only one free partial retest is permissable per full examination. "

Link

Oh my fault then. I was talking about the partial retest in my post, like say you need new brake pads the garage will fit them and wont have to charge you for the full MOT again.

I was under the impression that to get the free partial retest the car had to stay in the garage but my bad.
Reply 23
CJN
Oh my fault then. I was talking about the partial retest in my post, like say you need new brake pads the garage will fit them and wont have to charge you for the full MOT again.

I was under the impression that to get the free partial retest the car had to stay in the garage but my bad.

Its ok, its not the easiest system to understand :smile:
One of my friends cars recently failed on brakes, I got the parts over 60quid cheaper than the garage quoted (strange.. as surely they were getting trade discount? and they wanted over 250quid to change the disks and pads (but they were only going to change 3 disks.. seriously unwise move) Plus it was only an afternoon for the work, its not taxing stuff.

So Im a bit skeptical about garages and MOTs at the moment lol.
Reply 24
cRaig
Its ok, its not the easiest system to understand :smile:
One of my friends cars recently failed on brakes, I got the parts over 60quid cheaper than the garage quoted (strange.. as surely they were getting trade discount? and they wanted over 250quid to change the disks and pads (but they were only going to change 3 disks.. seriously unwise move) Plus it was only an afternoon for the work, its not taxing stuff.

So Im a bit skeptical about garages and MOTs at the moment lol.

I was £240 for new suspension bushes, brake pads and rear license plate + labour + the MOT fee a couple of months back.

I don't think I bought anything except for food the rest of that month.
Reply 25
If your pads and discs need replacing and you haven't driven it much then they were bad when you bought the car. Did you check the car thoroughly when buying it?
Don't trust what a salesman tells you, a FSH doesn't mean it was serviced well, a lot of main dealers e.g. only change the oil on certain services.

I'd suggest finding a garage through reccomendations that you know you can trust.
Ministerdonut
******* gutted. Only bought the car in April.

The car needs, a new suspension arm (whatever that is) , and new pads and discs front and rear, And thats the major things.

I actually asked to see the old pads and discs, they are not trying to mug me off.They are pitted and messed up.

I have told them to do the work, but I feel like ****.

All of that can be done at the comfort of your driveway for around £100 for parts and your average tools

once a suspension arm is replaced you will need to get a wheel alignment which is around £29

so you could have potential save yourself alot of money

Latest