Turn on thread page Beta
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    No optical zoom... no point. 5 is enough for me on a camera phone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neodymium)
    Yeah but what are you going to do with all the zooming? Increasing the no. of MPs can actually backfire and degrade the image quality. The camera and phone manufacturers are feeding the misconception to the public that higher MP = better pic, but it's not the case. Beyond 6 or 7mp, pixels have no more part to play in image quality. It then depends all on the image sensor, lens quality and processing techniques.

Here's some more info: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/08/te...ewanted=1&_r=2
    I need more than 7mp. I print on canvas and vinyl, as well as A0 posters. Megapixels are not enough - but that doesn't mean they're not needed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by motoroller)
    I need more than 7mp. I print on canvas and vinyl, as well as A0 posters. Megapixels are not enough - but that doesn't mean they're not needed.
    That's fine, and there are larger sensor cameras that will meet your needs. However for the vast majority of people this will only feed the 'more megapixels = better images' false information, which is bad. The sensor still won't realistically be big enough, so even at low ISOs the quality will be poor.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by freecom2)
    That's fine, and there are larger sensor cameras that will meet your needs. However for the vast majority of people this will only feed the 'more megapixels = better images' false information, which is bad. The sensor still won't realistically be big enough, so even at low ISOs the quality will be poor.

i agree with you :yes: :yes:

ReputationRep:
    You're all missing out on the bigger picture so to speak, it'll be in a phone, which will be light so camera shake will be really bad with it - there's a reason you hold d-slrs and slrs in two hands.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone who cares about photography would have decent cameras with proper, larger lenses and anyone who doesn't care about photography doesn't need 20mp

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by humz2)
    In the near future, we'll have electron microscopes in phones too :ahee:
    Then they'll come with built-in atomic force microscopes :woo: .

@Article: Seems a bit excessive. I'm sure I remember reading on a photography website somewhere that a having a huge number of pixels on your camera didn't actually do much for the quality. Other factors such as the photographer's skill, steadiness of hand and shooting environment seem to matter more.

edit: Just read up. Seems to be right.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.