Turn on thread page Beta

Would you drop out of university if you won the lottery now? watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Would you drop out of university if you won the lottery now?
    Hell to the yes!
    23.93%
    No
    76.07%

ReputationRep:
    I would stay at University; why drop out if you win the lottery!

ReputationRep:
    depends how much cake, if its 300mils hel yeah

ReputationRep:
    nah, but i would travel travel travel in all my holidays no doubt about it!!

ReputationRep:
    Nah, I just would have a more relaxed attitiude to uni. Spend more, upgrade to better accomodation, spend less time on work and miss a few lectures. I still want a degree and learn, but it wouldn't matter whether I got a first or a third with 100 million quid to my name

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rhys~)
    I probably would but then im thinking about dropping out/changing course anyway so having a load of money to go travelling again would make that decision easier
    This (but in reality traveling would be slobing about in my new big house/ shopping for me lol)

ReputationRep:
    No, definitely not.

ReputationRep:
    No even if it was like 100million id just have an easier time and would still have the same career aims

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to uni for the money afterwards, so no, I wouldn't drop out. I'd just have a much more lavish time :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    £2 million isn't really enough to keep you going for 60 years, considering inflation and that.
    But couldn't you put the 2 million in the bank and get interest money instead? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    Though if it was the Euromillions (as in a £100 million jackpot), I may reconsider.
    Well let's if you were to win a 100 million pounds and you were to store this money with a bank that offered 3% interest. That 3% interest rate will earn you 3 million pounds annually without even touching your original 100 million pounds...

That mean's that you would have £250 000 monthly that you could waste away and you'd still wouldnt lose any of your original money... A guy can dream right :rolleyes:?

ReputationRep:
    If it was a rather large amount, yes, I would drop out. I'm not enjoying uni massively at the moment...

...plus my real 'career' ambition if I ever had the money to do so would just be to volunteer everywhere So that's what I'd do...I'd drop out and volunteer everywhere I could ^^

= my dream life

ReputationRep:
    Not at all lol , how bored would you be once youve bought everything you want lol

ReputationRep:
    No I'd still want to learn it would just mean I could do it at my own leisure and not have to support myself with crummy jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Seems most of you are happy at uni then *thumbs up* good for you!!

I, on the other hand, am unhappy... Course is cool but not having a good time.
    I'd drop out, go travelling, do some charity work overseas, come back home and try my own projects out that require a lot of money that would make me a very happy girl

ReputationRep:
    No.

I'm not at university (got my 2:1 in '06), and I'd use the money to pay off our mortgage, get the kitchen extension that we originally wanted, fix everything that is still wrong or bugging me about the house, build myself a sodding huge summer-house/shed, finish off all the decking I've wanted in hardwood (that alone would cost at least £20k), put the full amount possible in the girls CTF's, maybe have a third child, buy a 2nd car, wait a year for house prices to flop again, then buy a house or two in student areas in student towns for investment purposes, then put the rest away to pay off the rest of our debts and to pay for the odd holiday.

Basically having anything less than I'd say at least £10million fall into our laps won't change our lives that much. It will mean we can do things we've planned sooner, send the kids to private school and clear our debts, but probably not much more than that I'd say...

ReputationRep:
    No, I'd use to be able to AFFORD going to uni and do my internship, etc.
    Gahhh, I wish X_X

ReputationRep:
    God no! I'd finish this degree, then do a law extension then maybe do another degree! Let's face it, I could afford to.

I'd definitely stay, but I would buy a sweet house/flat, let all my best friends live in it for free, have a cleaner, buy all the designer clothes and pretty stuff I want and party like anything!

*sigh* It's good to dream...

ReputationRep:
    I'm not at uni yet, but no way! I'm going for the fun of it, not just for the rewards after. I don't think I'd even give up my job if I won when I'm older. Life would be too boring with nothing to do.

ReputationRep:
    If you answer yes - then surely you are doing the wrong subject?

Id finish my degree, fund myself through postgrad if i still enjoyed it at that level - than get a job.

The average man will work for roughly 40-45 years. Most lotterys are about £3m at a wild guess - this isnt exactly enough to fund you throughout your life if you want to live a very nice lifestyle. So your a best off getting a degree and therefore a nice job that you enjoy and just use the lottery money to complement your earnings

ReputationRep:
    No I'd stay in Uni but live an expensive lifestyle haha :P Nice dinners, lots of drinks and gorgeous clothes and make up!
    And then after Uni I'd get a flash car and a nice house but I'd still have a job, just have a very flash lifestyle as well!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 31, 2009
Poll
Should Banksy be put in prison?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.