Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03dowerl)
    Although the campus was nice, I wasn't overly enthusiastic about it. (But only because I saw Warwick first and fell in love with the campus!)
    OP, i couldn't help but notice you sort of ignore the people advising you to reconsider applying to LSE/Warwick. I think it's something you should take on board at least.

Warwick has the one of the highest number of applicants to places for Law in the UK. Something ridiculous like 20:1 i think.

I'm not trying to dash your hopes - if you really want to go, then apply - but your GCSEs for one thing aren't good enough to make you stand out from the other 19 applicants.

LSE are famous for wanting good GCSEs, too. (We're talking 6/7A*s minimum).

No point in wasting one of your five choices. It could matter.

ReputationRep:
    You situation conbaffles me. Your GCSE grades aren't really what Warwick and LSE (particularly LSE) look for, neither are your AS grades. However, you have really good predicted grades. Provided the rest of your application is good, I'd stick with Warwick and LSE (if that's what you really want), choose Southampton and Exeter (or similar institutions) and then one real insurance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by riiight.)
    OP, i couldn't help but notice you sort of ignore the people advising you to reconsider applying to LSE/Warwick. I think it's something you should take on board at least.

Warwick has the one of the highest number of applicants to places for Law in the UK. Something ridiculous like 20:1 i think.

I'm not trying to dash your hopes - if you really want to go, then apply - but your GCSEs for one thing aren't good enough to make you stand out from the other 19 applicants.

LSE are famous for wanting good GCSEs, too. (We're talking 6/7A*s minimum).

No point in wasting one of your five choices. It could matter.
    Are you serious? When I applied for Warwick, I didn't know it was THAT competitive. Are you sure it's 20:1? Because that's like LSE numbers...

ReputationRep:
    Come and join the Law Applications/Offers Thread...

ReputationRep:
    Thank you everyone.
    I think I will take on-board what everyone has said.
    I don't think I will apply to LSE, because of my low GCSE and AS grades.
    But I will still be applying to Warwick because I really would like to go!
    I will have another think and then get back to you all about my final choices!

Thanks for all the information about other uni's!
    I'm glad I have been pointed in the direction of Hull and away from others!

What does anyone else think?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jingers)
    Are you serious? When I applied for Warwick, I didn't know it was THAT competitive. Are you sure it's 20:1? Because that's like LSE numbers...
    Yeah, Warwick is ridiculously popular for Law (and in general). In some reputable newspaper, at some point, I remember a figure in the low 20s being thrown about for applicants/place.

Not exactly a great source, but you'll have to trust me on that one.

ReputationRep:
    What do people think about applying for 2 courses at one university?
    I wouldn't want to waste an application, but it may give me a chance to go to a good uni, but with slightly lower entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 03dowerl)
    What do people think about applying for 2 courses at one university?
    I wouldn't want to waste an application, but it may give me a chance to go to a good uni, but with slightly lower entry requirements.
    Or even just by applying for a less popular course at a good uni. If the status of the uni matters to you, that's a good option.

You don't do a language, but often Law with French etc has a lower entry requirement than straight Law.

Maybe Law with Business? Law with something else that interests you... ?

ReputationRep:
    Well here's a more personal source.
    I emailed the Law admissions tutors at Warwick a couple days ago. They replied with:

''I should also advise you that our law courses are very heavily over-subscribed and entrance is very competititve. For example, this year we have received around 1200 applications for 85 places on our single-honours 3 year LLB degree. The majority of these have achieved or predicted grades of 3 As at A level.''

(Original post by riiight.)
    Or even just by applying for a less popular course at a good uni. If the status of the uni matters to you, that's a good option.

You don't do a language, but often Law with French etc has a lower entry requirement than straight Law.

Maybe Law with Business? Law with something else that interests you... ?
    No. Warwick has too much of a high reputation for Business, unless you are incredibly interested and knowledgeable on that subject, OP, it is a waste of an application and very competitive. Stick with straight law, as it is what you are interested in and you can focus your PS solely on that, making it stronger. I would recommend Hull, it is a great place and I know many people who are happy there! LSE is a waste of a slot, IMO.
    If you do want a combined degree, Warwick's Law with Sociology may be an option for you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Well here's a more personal source.
    I emailed the Law admissions tutors at Warwick a couple days ago. They replied with:

''I should also advise you that our law courses are very heavily over-subscribed and entrance is very competititve. For example, this year we have received around 1200 applications for 85 places on our single-honours 3 year LLB degree. The majority of these have achieved or predicted grades of 3 As at A level.''

Yeah, that's what I thought when I applied... something in the mid-teens. 14:1 but not 20:1. I didn't really feel the squeeze, if you catch my drift...

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's what I thought when I applied... something in the mid-teens. 14:1 but not 20:1. I didn't really feel the squeeze, if you catch my drift...
    Yea, exactly.
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you apply and get offers from? You gave me a lot of useful advice this year about Law in my threads and I'm just curious to see how you did.

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking along the lines of the Law and Sociology course at Warwick uni, as well as applying for straight law at Warwick.

I'm predicted my A* in sociology, so that would be a great asset for me.

But (if they did consider me for an offer) would they only give me an offer for Law and Sociology, because it has lower requirements and less competition, and then reject me for straight law?
    ^ I hope that makes sense!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Yea, exactly.
    If you don't mind me asking, where did you apply and get offers from? You gave me a lot of useful advice this year about Law in my threads and I'm just curious to see how you did.
    KCL: Rejected
    Bristol: Offer
    Warwick: Offer
    QMUL: Offer
    Kent: Withdrew

I didn't ask why I was unsuccessful with KCL. Apparently, Bristol is much harder to get into, but this could just my friends being nice, and me in denial.

I withdrew from Kent cos I found that I could do better.

Flopped my exams in summer due to illness: ABC - Eng. Lit, Maths, History respectively.

Now I'm applying to UCL and QM, but I'm not sure about my other 3 choices.

ReputationRep:
    KCL: Rejected
    Bristol: Offer
    Warwick: Offer
    QMUL: Offer
    Kent: Withdrew

I didn't ask why I was unsuccessful with KCL. Apparently, Bristol is much harder to get into, but this could just my friends being nice, and me in denial.

I withdrew from Kent cos I found that I could do better.

Flopped my exams in summer due to illness: ABC - Eng. Lit, Maths, History respectively.

Now I'm applying to UCL and QM, but I'm not sure about my other 3 choices.
    So I take it you're re taking and aiming for AAA?

I'm applying to UCL next year and it will be my top choice. Currently doing a re sit year myself but it's year 12 not 13. Fingers crossed I'll get AAA, already have a few other As subjects but i've dropped them.

What were your As grades/subjects and GCSE's?

ReputationRep:
    Where else will you be applying to Jinxy?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    So I take it you're re taking and aiming for AAA?

I'm applying to UCL next year and it will be my top choice. Currently doing a re sit year myself but it's year 12 not 13. Fingers crossed I'll get AAA, already have a few other As subjects but i've dropped them.

What were your As grades/subjects and GCSE's?
    My predictions now are: A*A (Keeping my A in Summer 2009)

AS: AAAB same subjects as before but with Applied ICT (B)
    GCSE: 6A*, 5A, 1B

Good luck with your work!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by beatleboar)
    IMO warwick and LSE will reject you but thats just me , sorry.
    I've applied to warwick, do you think they'll accept me with 7as, 2bs and 1.5cs with 4 As at AS?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    I've applied to warwick, do you think they'll accept me with 7as, 2bs and 1.5cs with 4 As at AS?
    It's possible, yeah.

My predictions now are: A*A (Keeping my A in Summer 2009)

AS: AAAB same subjects as before but with Applied ICT (B)
    GCSE: 6A*, 5A, 1B

Good luck with your work!

Wow, that's making me a little afraid about applying now if you got rejected from KCL with those grades. Your GCSE's are better than mine and i'm expected to get AAABE at As. Already have the B and E and am re sitting a C. :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mann18)
    Unless your predicted AAA+ possibly an A* or more. With an amazing personal statement then you have a shot but as it stands I would doubt it, mind you I don't know enough about your academic profile.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jinxy)
    Wow, that's making me a little afraid about applying now if you got rejected from KCL with those grades. Your GCSE's are better than mine and i'm expected to get AAABE at As. Already have the B and E and am re sitting a C. :afraid:
    I recommend that you don't apply to both KCL and UCL.

My LNAT wasn't that good (20) so that might've been why, or my AS levels. Don't worry about AS grades too much. Concentrate on your PS, A2s and LNAT.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 6, 2009

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.