Turn on thread page Beta

Challenging a parking ticket watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ms500)
    That's OK with me, I'll just give them my old iPod or something. Baliffs won't really be a problem for me
    They can take your car too. If it's a council ticket, then once it's been to court and a CCJ issued, they only have to see it on the street again and it'll either be clamped or towed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ms500)
    I just got a parking ticket on my windscreen, they want £30 within 28 days, but I have the option to go to court.

I have been parking in a street near my halls of residence because the company that runs our halls are confirmed Fascists and won't allow anyone to park on site. They have a large electric gate to prevent anyone from parking on site. Gits.

The street is signed as 'residents permit holders only, 8am-10pm'.

I am technically a resident because the halls are on the same street, but I don't have a council permit.

Could I claim that the sign is unclear, because I am technically a resident?
    Firstly, don't listen/follow any of the drivel in this thread.

Why should you pay up, when theres a possibility you don't have to?

There are a few way you can get out of it.

Look on the street to see if there are any CCTV cameras (council owned ones really that you need to be worried about), and what city are you in? If you are in London then most enforcement officers will take a picture of your tax disc (which basically proves it was your car that was parked there.)

If the answer is No to both the above possibilities, when they send you a letter asking for payment, reply back simply asking the question, 'Have you got any evidence it was MY vehicle that was parked there?' - don't suggest anything, don't make any excuses up or anything of the like. If they come back with a photo of your tax disc - more than likely they will try to make you pay from that point on wards. If they say they haven't, then tell them you aren't paying it and they can take you to court all they want. Threaten them with legal action too after that point, say you already suffer from stress and this will cause you mental anguish.

If it happens to be that they have a photo of your tax disc, there are a number of excuses you can then come up with. I don't like posting that kind of stuff on public forums, these methods get over used and councils then clamp down on it. But if you PM when this happens, I might be able to help you.

Whatever you do, do not ring up asking about the fine or whatever.. just wait for the letter through the post (it will be sent to the reg. keeper address).

Its funny how people on TSR think that just because they've had to pay a fine once in their life, everyone else should too.

Also OP - who is the reg. keeper? This too could be a way out of it depending on how long the process takes (for them to send you the letter etc.)

and go on this website: http://www.pepipoo.com/ - register on the forum and explain your situation, you will probably get better information from there than from me. But the members on there won't openly advocate to you 'bending the truth', so just explain your scenario and they might come up with possibile ways in which you wouldn't have to pay.

ReputationRep:
    What letter is he waiting for? Its not a speed tciket.

He had the fine now and it will keep going up until he pays it or apepals it - so he has to take somesort of action now.

I imagine the wardens word counts for soemthing,but otherwise I imagine most wardens have digital cams now.

dont they also take pictures of the car in situ, not just the tax disc?

ReputationRep:
    You can do 3 things:
    Accept, pay the fine, done.
    Ignore/Tell them to GTFO, this will cause big doo doo
    Conditionally accept, on premise that they can do <Insert many law questions>, giving them 10 days to respond to you, pointing out that you are currently not in contract to pay because you have not SIGNED anything

ReputationRep:
    I would suggest you pay up. If you managed to wrangle your way out of this I would eat my hat. Park on a street without restrictions next time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anonymouz)
    Firstly, don't listen/follow any of the drivel in this thread.

Why should you pay up, when theres a possibility you don't have to?

There are a few way you can get out of it.

Look on the street to see if there are any CCTV cameras (council owned ones really that you need to be worried about), and what city are you in? If you are in London then most enforcement officers will take a picture of your tax disc (which basically proves it was your car that was parked there.)

If the answer is No to both the above possibilities, when they send you a letter asking for payment, reply back simply asking the question, 'Have you got any evidence it was MY vehicle that was parked there?' - don't suggest anything, don't make any excuses up or anything of the like. If they come back with a photo of your tax disc - more than likely they will try to make you pay from that point on wards. If they say they haven't, then tell them you aren't paying it and they can take you to court all they want. Threaten them with legal action too after that point, say you already suffer from stress and this will cause you mental anguish.

If it happens to be that they have a photo of your tax disc, there are a number of excuses you can then come up with. I don't like posting that kind of stuff on public forums, these methods get over used and councils then clamp down on it. But if you PM when this happens, I might be able to help you.

Whatever you do, do not ring up asking about the fine or whatever.. just wait for the letter through the post (it will be sent to the reg. keeper address).

Its funny how people on TSR think that just because they've had to pay a fine once in their life, everyone else should too.

Also OP - who is the reg. keeper? This too could be a way out of it depending on how long the process takes (for them to send you the letter etc.)

and go on this website: http://www.pepipoo.com/ - register on the forum and explain your situation, you will probably get better information from there than from me. But the members on there won't openly advocate to you 'bending the truth', so just explain your scenario and they might come up with possibile ways in which you wouldn't have to pay.
    Spot on, i challenged a £70 parking ticket in london a while back and basically asked for proof it was my car as i didnt see any sticket and they said no so threatened legal action and it was dropped, back then they didnt take pics of the car. Im sure there are other ways around this. £30 sounds like a the cheapest fine you could have got so if you dont have time to chase them just pay it.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.