?
Report 8 years ago
Never heard of it.
Stu Laverty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Up here, there's only one derby that actually is a massive talking point. From a North-East perspective, we see rivalries in terms of importance: Newcastle vs. Sunderland, Boro matches can be there depending on context, Celtic/Rangers to an extent (because it is the biggest derby in the UK), and nothing else is really talked about that much.

Can't speak for the rest of England, but here its not a big deal.
morg
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yes it is seen as a big match,

no where near as big as west brom v. wolves though, of course.
Marshyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Maybe to those in Manchester or all the ******* cockney reds in London. To anyone else we don't really care, plenty of bigger derbys about.
thegaffer91
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My initial thoughts would be that it is as big out of manchester as (for example) the milan derby is out of milan, el classico is outside of spain, the old firm is out of glasgow, etc.

Basically, it creates interest rather than the passion that it creates in the city itself
Johnthebaptist1
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by FyreFight)
The Old Firm is a lot more significant outside of football, because it has huge political and cultural connotations.

Within football, the Manchester derby has the advantage of being a case of one traditionally successful club, who earned their place in the tables after decades of talented management, against another who simply bought it. It's symbolically a case of old football vs new football, which probably makes it more relevant to the sport.
Which club are you referring to when you say they 'simply bought it'?

Utd have spent stupid amounts of money too in the past, they were the big guns with the big bank balances in the past. They've just simply been put a side (purely in terms of money) by city, Chelsea etc.

There is not much difference, besides the space of time the money is being invested in. This was bound to happen sooner or later, football is big business.
Mess.
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
The biggest game in England that people take notice of around the world seems to be Manchester United and Liverpool. And yes it isn't a 'derby' but neither is the Barca/Real game and people are including that.

Manchester City v United has only became national in the last couple of seasons because City can now pose a threat. Before that nobody outside of Manchester cared, at all, unless it affected their own team.
sebas_back
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Have I missed a meeting? Why the **** should it be a big deal outside of Manchester? I don't care what the rest of the country thinks, and nor would I expect them to think anything. I'll watch the Scouse derby, partly because it's just down the road, partly because there's some history behind it, and partly because I want Liverpool to lose. That's it.
Jim-ie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by meskell)
The biggest game in England that people take notice of around the world seems to be Manchester United and Liverpool. And yes it isn't a 'derby' but neither is the Barca/Real game and people are including that.

Manchester City v United has only became national in the last couple of seasons because City can now pose a threat. Before that nobody outside of Manchester cared, at all, unless it affected their own team.
As if this is a bad thing?

If your seriously questioning the real v barca derby the **** me, you are a proper :facepalm2:.

manchester derby has come to prominence lately because of the quality f city lately. we've beat them before, we'll beat them again.
Economist
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Only in Manchester, used to be quite fun watching City giving Utd a few troubles but these days I almost prefer Utd to win to put that joke of a club in its place
Jim-ie
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Economist)
Only in Manchester, used to be quite fun watching City giving Utd a few troubles but these days I almost prefer Utd to win to put that joke of a club in its place
Gladly be a "joke of a club" than be the prime clown of TSR, as your proudly known.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jim-ie)
As if this is a bad thing?

If your seriously questioning the real v barca derby the **** me, you are a proper :facepalm2:.

manchester derby has come to prominence lately because of the quality f city lately. we've beat them before, we'll beat them again.
I wasn't questioning it :facepalm: it was just qualifying the use of the Liverpool/United games.
timiaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Well i think the Manchester Derby is an interesting game, as it is always hugely hyped up, and it now can go either way!.

But then outside manchester i think most ppl don't care who wins... it's like the london derbies or any other., We all know the huge rivalry between Arsenal And Spurs, but apart from Gunners and Spurs supporters who cares to a extent... it just depends on where your from!

The only one people take notice of is when Millwall play anyone from london, the news etc go full out on whether riot or something or another.....
Big Bob!
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It has to the potential to be as big Barcalona and Madrid, or Milan and Inter. There is a massive twist to it now, with the whole balance in Manchester apparently 'shifting' thanks to the media going crazy. Throw in the Tevez deal, it's actually turning into a grudge match of actual significance, especially in this season which doesn't make much sense. If City start to majorly compete for big name players, (good ones, not just the likes of Robinho lol) then I can see it becoming one of the biggest worldwide. However, up until last season I thought United Liverpool was more important. But then again before that when Keane and Vireira were still playing the biggest domestic game was Arsenal vs. United, so the manchester derby may become massive, but it might not stay that way.
Marshyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by timiaz)
The only one people take notice of is when Millwall play anyone from london, the news etc go full out on whether riot or something or another.....
This. Wether you condone football violence or not it's pretty obviously some of the London derbys. Actual history unlike some of the poxy ones that spring up when one team becomes better like the Manc derby.
gtmad
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Liverpool are still more successful than Manchester United in England. And Real Madrid are more successful than both.
real madrid...yeah

liverpool more successful than utd domestically? false.
Mess.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gtmad)
real madrid...yeah

liverpool more successful than utd domestically? false.
I think when he used Real Madrid you should of noiced he wasn't talking about domestic competitions just that Liverpool are the more succesful English club.
River85
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
Liverpool are still more successful than Manchester United in England.
Really :holmes:

Good to hear yesterday went well by the way.

(Original post by Stu Laverty)
Up here, there's only one derby that actually is a massive talking point. From a North-East perspective, we see rivalries in terms of importance: Newcastle vs. Sunderland, Boro matches can be there depending on context, Celtic/Rangers to an extent (because it is the biggest derby in the UK), and nothing else is really talked about that much.

Can't speak for the rest of England, but here its not a big deal.
:ditto:

Tyne-Wear
Old Firm

Merseyside
Manchester

The rest.

Not saying that's how I view them, not at all, just how I think people (and the media) view them across the region. Not including Tyne-Tees or Wear-Tees as they aren't derbies. Blummin Yorkshiremen :p:
Marshyy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by River85)
Tyne-Wear
Old Firm

Merseyside
Manchester

The rest.

Not saying that's how I view them, not at all, just how I think people (and the media) view them across the region. Not including Tyne-Tees or Wear-Tees as they aren't derbies. Blummin Yorkshiremen :p:
You honestly don't see any London derbies as bigger than any of those? The media paint irons/Wall in bigger derby light. As far as rivalries go, i'd go as far to say that Luton/Watford is just as big as half of those.
X

Reply to thread

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you like exams?

Yes (169)
18.69%
No (549)
60.73%
Not really bothered about them (186)
20.58%

Watched Threads