Organ Donation - Creepy? Watch

Jamie
Badges: 18
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by TheNack)
You would die for the sake of a vague, unexplainable feeling that hearts should not be transplanted?

As far as I know, the only part they can use is the cornea, so its not like someone will be walking round after you're gone with your complete eye.
i think they can use the lens too.
Srxjer
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I really don't want to even think about it. I've watched the autopsy video on YouTube and I really wish I didn't.
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
How do organ donors feel about donating their body when they die? Apparently there is a shortage. It's wierd, i'm happy to give my organs away, but i'm uneasy about having my body hacked to bits and sold off to various locations, or being messed about with medical students. I know it needs to be done, so I will probably just bite the bullet and sign it away. I'm also unsure if it's fair to give it away when burrying my body or spreading my ashes might give my family some closure - which they will so sorely need because i'm so awesome.
SteveeRoo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Nope Organ donation saves lives FACT I lost a very dear friend 2 years ago because she could not get a kidney in time. So its a very personal thing for me I just hope when I die that I can save lives. Also a friend of mine had a kidney donated as he had a syndrome and seeing him healed gave me clarification that it is a much useful system
I really need to sign the register I will do it asap actually
SteveeRoo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yep they can use the lens to.
Helenia
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Joseph90)
They can take what they want except my heart.

I don't want to sign the register. Whatever I don't know can't hurt me. I don't want to know/imagine what's going to get chopped out of my torso, put in vans and thrown in to other people's torsos after I die please.
So if you're happy for people to take your organs (except the heart), why haven't you signed the register? If you don't, the chances of your organs doing anyone any good are drastically reduced.
JammyDodger4
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by SteveeRoo)
Nope Organ donation saves lives FACT I lost a very dear friend 2 years ago because she could not get a kidney in time. So its a very personal thing for me I just hope when I die that I can save lives. Also a friend of mine had a kidney donated as he had a syndrome and seeing him healed gave me clarification that it is a much useful system
That's exactly the kind of reason I did it.
The thought that my loss would would be someone else's gain is nice.
Notker
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by JammyDodger4)
However, do you not find the thought of a part of you in someone else a bit strange?
:hahaha:

Anyway, I don't want to donate my organs. Just incase Egyptian mythology was true and Anubis wants my organs back.
UndercoverChemist
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Joseph90)
I don't know. Just a thing. If I ever needed a heart transplant and was offered one, I would decline it. Same goes for donating my own.

It is selfish but just an unexplainable feeling. It needs to stay in my body.
You would decline a heart if offered to you? I would like to see you decline one when faced with death.
morg
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i am on the organ register purely because it could be anyone in the situation of needing organs!
and as for the eyes, i do see it as quite 'creepy', but i understand it's not actually the eye they donate?
ahh well, i'm happy to know i can help people beyond death..
Miss Me
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show....php?t=1099986
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Stella476)
I am totally for the idea, but I have issues with the claims that some paramedics let a car accident victim die b/c they'd get a bonus for collecting her organs. But I don't think that is a common occurrence.

Do you choose certain parts when you sign up? Here you just say yes and it's a free-for-all when it comes to what they use.
You do know it doesn't work like that, right? :rolleyes: You can only be an organ donor in very specific conditions, namely when there's brain-stem death but the doctors can keep you alive on life-support (your organs become useless very quickly after you're dead). Very few organs can be donated when you're actually completely dead (corneas, skin, bone...sometimes kidneys). So if you get in a car accident and die there and then they won't be giving many of your organs away to anyone.

And yes, in the UK you can opt to give only certain organs but I think most people just go for the 'everything' option.
Annie72
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by SteveeRoo)
I"m sorry your friend didnt get a kidney in time.Its this type of story that made me sign the register. I was a student nurse on a kidney ward, they also did transplants, and to see the patients come in really ill, then have their operations, get better and live a normal life really made me determined that once I was gone someone else could have my organs.Its not creepy at all.
jaz_jaz
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't understand how you could not. Its not as if they would take like everything and leave you with an arm in your coffin.
coolh5000
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I signed it a few years ago, and made sure I told my parents what I'd done, so that if anything were to happen, they'd know what I wanted, since (I believe) it would be up to them to give consent, even if my name is on the register.

Donating organs, like donating blood, is one of those things that to me, just seems so basically 'right' that it shouldn't really need debate - it's a belief I've had for as long as I can remember. You don't need your organs when you're dead, and they can keep other people alive, in the same way your blood can help keep someone alive when you don't need it all yourself.

Interesting, though, the point someone raised about bodies for medical science etc. I guess, you don't need you body either, but I don't feel the same sense that it should just be a natural thing to give your body. The thought of there being nothing left after death is strange, but equally, what else are the body/ashes going to do. My brother is a medical student, and so are half the people I live with, so I know they go to good use and are treated respectfully, but then afterwards, they're given a memorial at the university and I don't know - it would be weird having no where that I could be remembered. Hmm...
Finbar21
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Notker)
:hahaha:

Anyway, I don't want to donate my organs. Just incase Egyptian mythology was true and Anubis wants my organs back.
lol, you may be joking but I was seriously considering this as I was filling in the details...

What if we do need our organs after we die?
Notker
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Finbar21)
lol, you may be joking but I was seriously considering this as I was filling in the details...

What if we do need our organs after we die?
I was kidding, but it is certainly true that most polytheistic faiths consider you to take to the after life what you are buried with; hence why Vikings were often buried with everything from food and slave girls to swords and longships.
fire2burn
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I want to donate my body to that Dr Gunther von Hagens chap. Getting chopped up and displayed in the science museum? Sounds pretty cool to me. Sorry kidney failure patients, my body is for entertainment and science purposes only.

Fuzzed_Out
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't know why anyone wouldn't donate, heck on my driving license I ticked the "take everything". I won't be using them any more and it could save someone's life
ilovecoffee
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ive just requested a brain donation pack from the parkinsons society. so no i have no issues f organ donation being creepy
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (75)
27.68%
No (196)
72.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed