Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kater Murr)
    Hmm, sad, but... it's not like DFW or Vonnegut dying, because he probably wasn't ever going to write, or, at least, publish anything again anyway. Which is a selfish way to react to someone's death, but... there it is.
    This was my immediate reaction.

ReputationRep:
    I think a lot of his unpublished stuff is gonna be released now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bete noire)
    I'm not so sure. From what I gather about him, if they were unpublished, they were for a reason. I'm told the copyright runs out in half a century though. They might well be published, I guess. I just don't think it's very likely with a reclusive author who hasn't published anything in four decades, has actively blocked the publication of an unauthorised biography and has sued a writer for writing an unauthorised, loose sequel to a novel of his. I'd imagine that he would've put some safeguards in place to keep the unpublished stuff unpublished, but I could be talking out of my arse about all this, so feel free to enlighten me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sanyore)
    I'm not so sure. .
    I'm talking out of my arse as well, half hearsay, half wishful thinking.

ReputationRep:
    Fantastic Voyage screenwriter Shane Salerno is hoping to premiere his J.D. Salinger documentary at next year's Cannes Film Festival.

According to The AP, the film chronicles the recently deceased author's affair with Eugene O'Neil's daughter and his penchant for maintaining total control over his work.

It includes interviews with the likes of Tom Wolfe, Edward Norton, E.L. Doctorow and Gore Vidal, plus five extra minutes that have yet to be screened for "security reasons".

Salerno is still to reveal whether those five minutes contain new footage of the notoriously reclusive writer. Further, there is no mention of a vault of unpublished works.

"I love how he had the world at his doorstep and said, 'No thanks'," Salerno said, referring to Salinger's firm anti-Hollywood stance. "He somehow understood, in 1951, the corrosive effect that fame and money could have on his writing."

- digital spy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bete noire)
    He wrote to a film director years and years ago and told them that he was leaving the film rights for The Catcher in the Rye to his family, so if they required money they could sell them. Whether he'll have left all his written work to them as well remains to be seen. It's possible though. Unless he goes all Nabokov on us.

ReputationRep:
    It's very sad. The strange thing is, it sort of feels as if Holden himself has died.

Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.