You shouldnt be allowed to sit down at the football
Stu Laverty
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Celtic_Anthony)
Does it come with a prawn sandwich?

Modern football ain't that enjoyable because so many people sit on their hands, but who I am to dictate to people how they should support their team?
Hahaha, I just got a great image of a football fan at Old Trafford with his heated seat (complete with prawn sandwich holder), his seatbelt on, wearing 3D glasses and pitifully shouting to the guy standing up next to him "SIT DOWN! You're ruining it for everybody!" :jester:
neillya1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by RamocitoMorales)

There are far more intimidating stadiums in Turkey, but the İnönü Stadium has caught the British media hype.

Yeah well it's the only one we really get to hear about over here :p:

I do agree with you though a lot, British football is just "pansy" now..... Even France/Germany have miles better fans than over here.

The only club I know of that really do have some manic supporters is Celtic :yep: hats off to them to be honest.

Just wish we were more like the Turkish/Russian/Ukrainian leauges and teams. And flares shouldn't be banned imo, they add to the atmosphere so much, and aren't really THAT dangerous.....
People seem to forget the supporters often play as the 12th player, and it can make a hell of a lot of difference!
FyreFight
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Football is a game run by businessmen, for businessmen. And businessmen like to be comfy.
Motorbiker
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Looks like a really clever idea, Even better if they do it in different colours for the different clubs or maybe even do a deal with clubs to have the logos and stuff on them.

Then do them for many other sports where you have to sit down in grandstands for long periods.
Rugby/motorsport/atheletics?
Nice and Warm and comfier? Sounds good to me.

Lasting 105 mins would be more useful though because these will last 45 mins of first hald and then the break and will be cold by the time the second half starts.
RamocitoMorales
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by cpj1987)
Why does supporting your team have to involve jumping around constantly for 90 minutes?

I attend matches. I sing, I chant, I support. I stand up when I can, but I'm extremely sensitive to the cold and watching matches has become something close to torture for me - particularly this year.
You don't have to jump up and down. There are plenty of other movements that are involved when singing your heart out for the full 90 minutes. I usually find that by the end of the match I've got a massive headache and almost sweating.

(Original post by Stu Laverty)
Hahaha, I just got a great image of a football fan at Old Trafford with his heated seat (complete with prawn sandwich holder), his seatbelt on, wearing 3D glasses and pitifully shouting to the guy standing up next to him "SIT DOWN! You're ruining it for everybody!"
:toofunny:

(Original post by neillya1)
I do agree with you though a lot, British football is just "pansy" now..... Even France/Germany have miles better fans than over here.
I would say "Even France/Germany", they have some very good sets of fans. Particularly teams like Eintracht Frankfurt and St Etienne.
Celtic_Anthony
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Not everyone can be an Ultra Ramo. As much as I'd love to, I can't- I go to the games with my Dad and he's not into that. Fair do's, he's served his time in the Jungle, been there and done it all (including, I believe, an appearance on Hampden Park in 1980) and now he wants to enjoy the football in a less boisterous manner. I wouldn't go and not take him. He's able to stand, so it's not as if he hinders any atmosphere anyway.

It frustrates the life out of me, though, when fit, able-bodied people have no inclination to get off their hands and support their team though. No reason for it. If you want to sit down in silence, only opening your mouth to criticise and moan, go to the pub. It's cheaper and you can get drunk.

There are different types of fan, and people have different abilities when it comes to supporting their team. It's an argument for having safe-standing areas in stadiums.
Marshyy
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You don't have to jump up and down. There are plenty of other movements that are involved when singing your heart out for the full 90 minutes. I usually find that by the end of the match I've got a massive headache and almost sweating.
I've been to way too many games whilst nursing a hangover, nothing worse than your head spinning due to too much chanting haha.
Nico_SU
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Try being in the gods of St James' Park to watch your side play Watford in the middle of December.

Bloody southerners and their "cold".
Worth it though when Pancrate slams in goal of the month
RamocitoMorales
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
Not everyone can be an Ultra Ramo. As much as I'd love to, I can't- I go to the games with my Dad and he's not into that. Fair do's, he's served his time in the Jungle, been there and done it all (including, I believe, an appearance on Hampden Park in 1980) and now he wants to enjoy the football in a less boisterous manner. I wouldn't go and not take him. He's able to stand, so it's not as if he hinders any atmosphere anyway.
Don't get me wrong, I would never dream of discouraging someone like your dad from attending football matches. Even disabled people who can't stand are more than welcome to football matches in my mind. But it's when people decide that they can't be bothered to stand up, that they can't be bothered to chant for their team, when they're more than capable of doing so, that the problem begins.

Then they make it worse by telling us that we're not allowed to stand up, that we're not allowed to bring in large flags, that we're not allowed to bring in pyrotechnics. So not only are they getting their own way, but they're also forcing their ideology upon the rest of us like a fascist mob.

There are different types of fan, and people have different abilities when it comes to supporting their team. It's an argument for having safe-standing areas in stadiums.
Safe standing areas have proven to be a great success in Germany. I would absolutely love it if they were introduced here as well.

Borussia Dortmund's standing section is only €8 to stand in if I remember correctly. That will no doubt allow the true working class fans to return to the game.
neillya1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

I would say "Even France/Germany", they have some very good sets of fans. Particularly teams like Eintracht Frankfurt and St Etienne.
I stand corrected :p: But yeah, make British football like that :yep:

I don't even bother with matches anymore, the atmosphere is so lack-luster, I'd rather save £30 and watch it on the tele.
Nashy19
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
If it's a bigger version of the gel pads it should work great.
Apagg
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You're not using your brain. You have to ask yourself why they're getting cold.

If you have any experience of proper support then you'd know that if you support your team you'd be having problems with overheating and sweating.

Let me put it simply for you,

Prawn sandwich fan (sitting down, being silent) + cold weather = Cold.

Football fan (standing up, chanting...) + cold weather = Hot.
Hmm, I guess. I don't think it's reasonable to expect it of children so much though. From my experience pre-game and half time can get a bit chilly too.
Dalimyr
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
the gods of St James' Park
First "St James' Park", then "sportsdirect.com @ St James' Park", and now "the gods of St James' Park"? Mike Ashley needs to stop renaming that bloody stadium :p:

Bloody southerners and their "cold".
Totally agreed It's like southerners and snow; we get a foot of it up here and we can deal with it just fine. We don't moan about it, we just get on with our lives. They get a centimetre or two of it and the top story on every news program will be about how "the country" (read: London and possibly some surrounding areas) comes to a standstill :ninja:

Football fan (standing up, chanting...) + cold weather = Hot.
...and if this football fan is watching a particularly crap match that doesn't really have anything that could remotely be considered a "highlight" and thus they have nothing to stand up for? They're going to be sitting down, bored out of their mind and really feeling the cold because the dullness of the game isn't going to keep their mind off the cold :p: And as has been said a few times now, you can't really expect it from little kids :no: I've been there, done it, got the t-shirt. My dad for some bizarre reason took me to see a rugby game (I don't like rugby and he doesn't even understand the damn game) in early January one year and the highlight of the game was some guy walking halfway across the field before realising that it was someone else who was getting subbed off. No real action to speak of and the entire crowd was pretty lifeless (didn't help that there were probably 100 people at most, and that the home team got trounced 35-12 or something). Sometimes that's just how the games go.
Stu Laverty
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Nico_SU)
Worth it though when Pancrate slams in goal of the month
Oh yeah, that's my favourite game since we beat Sunderland 4-1, it was amazing to watch.

Just a shame Pancrate hasn't done much since :laugh:
cfc1992
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Oh no, a four year old girl doesn't want to jump around and chant all game.

Get over yourself.
Manitude
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
"It's quite convenient when you think about it because these kind of fans leave the match three quarters of the way through."

Lawyer Matthew Goode's invention contains a reusable heat pack in the base of the seat.
Yes, because Lawyers with two children do leave the match early to have punch up.
Jangrafess
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago

It frustrates the life out of me, though, when fit, able-bodied people have no inclination to get off their hands and support their team though. No reason for it. If you want to sit down in silence, only opening your mouth to criticise and moan, go to the pub. It's cheaper and you can get drunk.

This, basically. I usually go to Brentford games with my Mum's husband who can't stand for more than a few minutes because he's a crip, so I can't always as passionate as I like. But whenever I can I'm in the terraces instead, or in the atmosphere at away games.

I can see why a four year old would like one of these, but it would be a great shame if these were to be mass produced and used by people who aren't four years old, which is the point the OP is making.
Jangrafess
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Manitude)
"It's quite convenient when you think about it because these kind of fans leave the match three quarters of the way through."

Yes, because Lawyers with two children do leave the match early to have punch up.
TO GO HOME! Not to have a punch up. Christ. Did you really think he was implying that hooligans are the sort of fans to use a heated seat?
Stu Laverty
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Dalimyr)
...and if this football fan is watching a particularly crap match that doesn't really have anything that could remotely be considered a "highlight" and thus they have nothing to stand up for? They're going to be sitting down, bored out of their mind and really feeling the cold because the dullness of the game isn't going to keep their mind off the cold :p:
This is one time where I'm probably going to agree with Ramocito. You don't need a game to be exciting to get up a cheer. Why should you? Look at teams like Newcastle, Stoke, Leeds - none of them have had a great deal to cheer (Stoke have, but most of their matches are admittedly crap) in recent years, but still have a sizeable fanbase which cheer even through **** matches.

If anything, a crap match should encourage you to cheer more - get the fans around you to get into the match and send some chants at away fans. Ironically cheer when a team launches an attack, etc. I was at Newcastle vs. Everton last year. **** game, ended 0-0, but both sets of fans made it an entertaining day out.

Fair enough if they're just kids, I believe you should accommodate for all the types of fans, whether they're old, young adults or children. But I can see a problem when people cheer when the game is exciting, but not otherwise.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (101)
19.65%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (210)
40.86%
Nope, not that interesting (203)
39.49%

Watched Threads