Turn on thread page Beta

Have I plagiarized? Help, I'm terrified! watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dante's Not My Name)
    I didn't admit to it - not to the teacher. I may get another try, seeing as this is my first assignment for the course.

I have zero sympathy for myself, trust me. It's a truly lame thing to do.
    Well you admitted it on here, that shows that you have no grounds for appeal. If you do appeal, knowing full well that you did it, well that's just terrible.

If it's you're first assignment you'll almost certainly get away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Don't bother appealing.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, it's just a piece of software, as long as you haven't plagiarised from a well known web site you should be okey. The warez cannot scan the whole www. Really you should have cited pieces of the work if you were really that desperate, well you should anyway, but, even more so in your case. You sound pretty genuine, for the www anyway, you'll be okey, just learn from it.
    We all mess up. Hope it works out.

ReputationRep:
    In my A-level film studies (think it was at A2) I had to do a coursework assignment on an auteur and chose Tim Burton. I found a website which basically covered everything I needed for the assignment and I copied loads of it, some parts paraphrased. When the teacher read it she told me to put it in my own words and didn't seem to care. I still got an A for it.

ReputationRep:
    Someone I know got done for cheatng - they basically worked together in a group and got caught that way

I think he failed that module - which is significant for a degree course if it makes up say a 6th of the grade

ReputationRep:
    You said it's a assignment, if its not coursework (im guessing this is A Level or GCSE, if not, sorry =S) if its just a homework, you're only hurting yourself. umm i think that plagiarism is copying 6 or more words in a row without quoting the source, if it was done on the first draft of the coursework, redo it for the final piece. If it was afinal piece, speak to the teacher, it won't have been sent off yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shave_The_Whales)
    You said it's a assignment, if its not coursework (im guessing this is A Level or GCSE, if not, sorry =S) if its just a homework, you're only hurting yourself. umm i think that plagiarism is copying 6 or more words in a row without quoting the source, if it was done on the first draft of the coursework, redo it for the final piece. If it was afinal piece, speak to the teacher, it won't have been sent off yet.
    Thank you - you're officially a human dream. I just realized you're right - I won't get done for this, it's not a final draft. I'm seriously giving you rep for a week straight. I have so much thanks for you your CHILDREN will feel appreciated. A HUG..OR SOMETHING MUSHY.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hylean)
    If it's not a formal piece, you stand a chance of getting away with it as most plagiarism software only analyses formal works.

Also, the software is notoriously inaccurate as it even counts single words, so often papers are 70% plagiarised because of that.
    That's a fascinating course that you're applying for...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    Well you admitted it on here, that shows that you have no grounds for appeal. If you do appeal, knowing full well that you did it, well that's just terrible.

If it's you're first assignment you'll almost certainly get away with nothing more than a slap on the wrist. Don't bother appealing.
    ..It is probably terrible, but I'm struggling to feel any form of guilt here, Revd.

I just discovered I'm NOT going to be done in for this, so, like every other self-respecting, young and *********** Induhvidual - I will replace the surge of relief plus the 'now I'm going to be perfect' resolution with - I got past. Woot. Oh, txt from boyfriend.

And y'know what? Right now I feel just great about being a gormless and occasionally reckless student. Your maturity has been noted though. P'raps one day I'll even emulate it. cheers

ReputationRep:
    Right, when did you submit this cwk? In the last few days? Then get it back, your teachers probs not marked it yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by anon1212)
    Right, when did you submit this cwk? In the last few days? Then get it back, your teachers probs not marked it yet!
    I have done, false alarm, thank you anyway and hug yourself from me! (Yes, I'm one happy clappy chappy right now - I won't be expelled!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dante's Not My Name)
    I have done, false alarm, thank you anyway and hug yourself from me! (Yes, I'm one happy clappy chappy right now - I won't be expelled!)
    Hug accepted! thanks!

ReputationRep:
    hey there,

i think that you must have plagiarized...

last year at my school a boy copied a girl's work directly (she gave it to him over facebook or something), they were both disqualified from their coursework, but they could still do the exam (this is for history, 25% coursework) she got a B and he got a U in the end.

he handed himself in though.

i would had yourself in.

they were both told that they were very lucky, if the coursework had been sent to the exam board they would have been disqualified from all exams that they were going to take by that exam board.

sometimes they are disqualified fro jut that subject.

hand yourself in.

i do not, however feel sorry for you.

so

if i get any rep for this i will not return it.

good luck. ( you are going to need it)

ReputationRep:
    oh dear,

i really should read the end of each thread lol.

i stick by what i said though.

ReputationRep:
    There are worse things to be 'terrified' about, get your priorities straight.

Also, getting ideas from other sources is generally allowed, as long as you dont pass it as your own. A cheeky little "Some people may think/ according to this website/author..." will give you insurance against plagerising.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Yes, you plagiarised. What will happen? It depends on your college.

ReputationRep:
    All you can do is just hope that the plagerism software doesnt find it. Hopefully, if the website you found it on isn't too major, the software will skip over it. Also it depends how many of the phrases you used. Words not so much because if its on the same topic, then your bound to use words the same. My sister did pretty much the same as you but not on a major thing and they ran it through two different softwares and didnt catch her out. So just hope that they dont catch you out. It could have been worse, you could have just copied the full essay but you didnt, you just got ideas etc.
    ox.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nextmove)
    Appeal against any decision! If they say you copied don't disagree just say I used it as a template but I got a bit caught up in it because I was doing it at late night and probably wasn't thinking a lot. Hopefully they'll understand and let you do it again.

What percentage of the grade does the coursework contrbute to?
    Wth?

He clearly copied, and doing it late at night isn't an excuse. Should've done it in the morning? - Wasn't thinking a lot, his fault!

Wow, if only life was that simple.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dyingdaybyday)
    Wth?

He clearly copied, and doing it late at night isn't an excuse. Should've done it in the morning? - Wasn't thinking a lot, his fault!

Wow, if only life was that simple.
    She.

Y'know, sometimes life really is that simple. Stupidity isn't a complicated thing, is it?

University open days

• University of Lincoln
    Brayford Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All undergraduate Undergraduate
    Wed, 12 Dec '18
Poll
Do you like exams?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.