Turn on thread page Beta

Classism from below is just envy watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    It's of course a jealousy thing, but also a general resentment in the case of those people from aristocratic families who do nothing to earn their lifestyle and are actually very ignorant, the upper class toff of the year sketch from Monty Python springs to mind. Of course the class debate isn't relevant to most people outside the working class. Everyone hates the most wealthy though, its only natural.

ReputationRep:
    In the situation you describe, it is envy. It's not wrong to have high brow tastes and mannerisms, but the reason for having them is important. If you have expensive tastes and buy things simply because it is expensive or a certain designer lable, then that's just vanity. If you have high brow tastes simply because you prefer them and it's what you like, then that's fine.

I don't really have expensive taste, just highly specific.

(Original post by bun)
    It is just a form of envy, and 'toffs' are used as scapeoats to critcise as being greedy instead of admitting most/some 'commoners' being so bone idle that they don't get good grades, dont get good jobs, and therefore dont get good pay.
    However, the resentment felt by poor people towards rich people is understandable however it is directed at the wrong people.

When New Labour came to power, they published school league tables in a vain attempt to bring the benefits of the free market in to the public sector. The idea was that poor performing schools would compete to improve their position.

In reality, rich families simply moved house so they would be in the catchment areas of the better schools. This increased demand for housing and therefore increased house prices in the relevant catchment areas. This excluded poorer parents and left them with the worst performing schools hence explaining why poorer people perform less well academically and why social mobility is the lowest it has been since World War II.

If you don't believe me, look at school league tables for the UK and in the top performing schools, check the average house price in the catchment area. Then compare this with the house prices in the catchment areas of the worse performing schools. It's no coincidence.

Similar policies have been implemented in the NHS which explains why babies born in poor areas are twice as likely to die in their first year of life as babies born in prosperous areas.

Even the most successful businessmen know that the free market doesn't work for everything, I mean you can't privatise the government can you? It explains why Bill Gates set up the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Adam Smith a Scottish philosopher (his portrait is on the reverse of the new 20 pound note) attempted to answer why human beings can form moral judgements despite our natural inclinations towards self interest.

I got this information from a documentary called "The Trap: What happened to our dream of freedom?" It's created by Adam Curtis and it explains how our government has a narrow view of freedom and has eroded our liberty in favour of their kind of liberty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tra...tary_series%29

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...ent=firefox-a#

ReputationRep:
    [FONT="Arial"]In the situation you describe, it is envy. It's not wrong to have high brow tastes and mannerisms, but the reason for having them is important. If you have expensive tastes and buy things simply because it is expensive or a certain designer lable, then that's just vanity. If you have high brow tastes simply because you prefer them and it's what you like, then that's fine.

I don't really have expensive taste, just highly specific.

(Original post by bun)
    It is just a form of envy, and 'toffs' are used as scapeoats to critcise as being greedy instead of admitting most/some 'commoners' being so bone idle that they don't get good grades, dont get good jobs, and therefore dont get good pay.
    However, the resentment felt by poor people towards rich people is understandable however it is directed at the wrong people.

When New Labour came to power, they published school league tables in a vain attempt to bring the benefits of the free market in to the public sector. The idea was that poor performing schools would compete to improve their position.

In reality, rich families simply moved house so they would be in the catchment areas of the better schools. This increased demand for housing and therefore increased house prices in the relevant catchment areas. This excluded poorer parents and left them with the worst performing schools hence explaining why poorer people perform less well academically and why social mobility is the lowest it has been since World War II.

If you don't believe me, look at school league tables for the UK and in the top performing schools, check the average house price in the catchment area. Then compare this with the house prices in the catchment areas of the worse performing schools. It's no coincidence.

Similar policies have been implemented in the NHS which explains why babies born in poor areas are twice as likely to die in their first year of life as babies born in prosperous areas.

Even the most successful businessmen know that the free market doesn't work for everything, I mean you can't privatise the government can you? It explains why Bill Gates set up the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation. Adam Smith a Scottish philosopher (his portrait is on the reverse of the new 20 pound note) attempted to answer why human beings can form moral judgements despite our natural inclinations towards self interest.

I got this information from a documentary called "The Trap: What happened to our dream of freedom?" It's created by Adam Curtis and it explains how our government has a narrow view of freedom and has eroded our liberty in favour of their kind of liberty.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tra...tary_series%29

http://video.google.co.uk/videoplay?...ent=firefox-a#

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liquidus Zeromus)
    (...)
    What is so wrong and negative about being well-off and having high-brow style and tastes?
    Nothing, unless you talk about it. Then you become a bore.

Tell me, was it worth it?

Poll
Do you like exams?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.