Post-Virus/USB exhausted. Watch

jt18
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I transferred 18GB (19327352832 bytes) from my PC to a network share in ~21 minutes approx (start time ~13:35 end time ~14:56 - My stop watch said 22 minutes 30 seconds but I got distracted and didn't stop it when the transfer was completed windows estimated 18 minutes so give or take). Speed remained about ~18mb/s (this was using a wired connection). So my initial calculation was actually quite close however YMMV. Random data created by http://www.mynikko.com/dummy/dummy12.zip making 6144 separate 3mb files (3145728 bytes).

Back to the OP you should be fine doing it.
Chrosson
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jt18)
I transferred 18GB (19327352832 bytes) from my PC to a network share in ~21 minutes approx (start time ~13:35 end time ~14:56 - My stop watch said 22 minutes 30 seconds but I got distracted and didn't stop it when the transfer was completed windows estimated 18 minutes so give or take). Speed remained about ~18mb/s (this was using a wired connection). So my initial calculation was actually quite close however YMMV. Random data created by http://www.mynikko.com/dummy/dummy12.zip making 6144 separate 3mb files (3145728 bytes).

Back to the OP you should be fine doing it.
Highlighted bit on bold - what?
If I just look at the times fair enough.
However I have 2 questions - 1) Do you mean 18Mb/s or 18MB/s? 2) What speed ethernet is this?
And I thought our main disagreement was with wireless? Wired was always gonna be reasonably fast, I never had any disagreement with that.
jt18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Chrosson)
Highlighted bit on bold - what?
If I just look at the times fair enough.
However I have 2 questions - 1) Do you mean 18Mb/s or 18MB/s? 2) What speed ethernet is this?
And I thought our main disagreement was with wireless? Wired was always gonna be reasonably fast, I never had any disagreement with that.
Mb/s measures data transfer speed, so Mb/s I assume. Its a 100Mb/s line, however I spliced it to create two cables. I don't know what effect that actually has on it, just changed the pinout on a 8core cable as CAT5 only requires 4 core.

If I tested WiFi I would be connecting using a wireless N and a receiving from a wireless G card, less than ideal.

If you want to conduct some more tests feel free. It doesn't take long to generate the required amount of files.

Like I said the time taken was under 21.5 minutes. (less than the prediction).

I'm actually not bothered about how long it takes. It takes how ever long it takes and I can see you reasoning. But as you can see "hour (allowing for loss and for many files, maybe 2" was a bit of an exaggeration.
Chrosson
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jt18)
Mb/s measures data transfer speed, so Mb/s I assume. Its a 100Mb/s line, however I spliced it to create two cables. I don't know what effect that actually has on it, just changed the pinout on a 8core cable as CAT5 only requires 4 core.

If I tested WiFi I would be connecting using a wireless N and a receiving from a wireless G card, less than ideal.

If you want to conduct some more tests feel free. It doesn't take long to generate the required amount of files.

Like I said the time taken was under 21.5 minutes. (less than the prediction).

I'm actually not bothered about how long it takes. It takes how ever long it takes and I can see you reasoning. But as you can see "hour (allowing for loss and for many files, maybe 2" was a bit of an exaggeration.
I acknowledge my figures (for ethernet) need to be halved. Dunno what happened.
I already admitted you were right and my figures for 1-2 hours were way off, and allowing for 50% loss in ethernet was worthy of a slap...

As an aside, 18Mb/s is incredibly slow (wireless G type speed), and 18MB/s is actually impossible for a 100Mb/s cable (=12.5MB/s). Judging by your times, I assume it must be 18MB/s....so your splicing made it faster than a non spliced cable? I dunno.
So I can clarify, where did you read the 18mb/s from? Windows file transfer (=MB/s) or somewhere else?
Jeppaloth
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by jt18)
You know if your music is all on your ipod already. You can just retrieve it using yamipod or something like that once you have your computer formatted?
Nah, my iPod is currently synced to a friends because I couldn't get it to sync to mine after I reset it.
Chrosson
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jeppaloth)
Nah, my iPod is currently synced to a friends because I couldn't get it to sync to mine after I reset it.
Uh...I believe you can still get the music off, if you wanted to keep it.
Jeppaloth
Rep:
?
X
(Original post by jt18)
X
(Original post by JayEm)
X
Right going to try it with the ethernet today, could one of you walk me through it please?

Cheers, appreciate it.
Jeppaloth
Rep:
?
Alright managed to do it myself, that sorts one of the problems. Namely I can now listen to music on my iPod, but I'd like to be able to have full use of my comp.

So if one of you could help me do a partition and format that would be perfect, cheers
JayEm
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Do you have your Windows DVD? Put it in, restart, boot up from the DVD, follow the prompts to format the disk and install.

http://www.buildeasypc.com/sw/window...dows_vista.htm

Make sure you format the disk when it asks you where you want to install it.
Jeppaloth
Rep:
?
Cheers, I'll have a rummage for the disc later.

By the way, whoever was arguing about times it did 17gig at 9.5-10 mb/s and I didn't time but I think it was about 20-30 minutes.
Chrosson
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Jeppaloth)
Cheers, I'll have a rummage for the disc later.

By the way, whoever was arguing about times it did 17gig at 9.5-10 mb/s and I didn't time but I think it was about 20-30 minutes.
Haha, that's actually something we more or less agreed on.
The disagreement was because of misunderstanding (aren't most?).
Jeppaloth
Rep:
?
Hehe, thanks again guys, without youse I probably would have had to redownload my whole collection :sad:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (78)
26.44%
No (217)
73.56%

Watched Threads