Getting sacked at Tesco Watch

This discussion is closed.
NStocks
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by fidel69)
at my workplace you get 3 disciplinarys before getting sacked, dont worry, BE EASY JIGGA N*GGA
I'm pretty sure this is true at Tesco.
MDEH8176
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by NStocks)
So I've just rung my work up ( tesco ) and told them that I won't be able to make my shift today ( 2pm - 10pm ) because of Uni work and deadlines etc. I apologized for it many times. She told me that I will be given a disciplinary and this could lead to been sacked because I have not for-filled my contract and that I don't care about my job...
I also work for Tesco. I'm doing 25+ hours a week now because I'm on my gap year, but when I was at college I had less hours like you.

As a company they feel VERY strongly about attendance. When you go off sick you have a welcome back meeting on your first day back at work. Your manager discusses why you were off etc and then writes your new attendance percentage on a form. If it drops below a certain percentage (I think 85%) then you get an attendance review with your manager and a senior member of the team. I've had two before and I was supposed to get a formal disciplinary at one of them, but they couldn't give it to me as they only have a week in which to do it after the absence and thankfully my manager was on holiday for two weeks.

Can you work out your percentage? It may be as low as 60-70% if you don't do many hours and have taken 3 weeks off before. Also, your reason for the absence isn't justified in the working world. As an employer you have to understand that they won't be sympathetic to your university deadlines. That's for you to handle.

When I had the attendance review I was also told that it wasn't the percentage that mattered as much, but the regularity of the absences too, e.g. after I was off for two shifts my manager said that I shouldn't be off work for another 3 months otherwise I would be called back in again. When you do a small amount of shifts (weekend work) it can be really easy to get a crap attendance record.

Also, your manager was right to assume that they're short-staffed. At my store, all temps had their contracts cut, managers have been moved around and a lot of people have been forced into taking unpaid leave until March. They do it every year so they can show their annual figures in April and be like: "Woo, look at our profit", but really they just provided a ***** service for the three months after Christmas and sacked a bunch of people.

I always thought three strikes and your out, so if you've never had a disciplinary before then you may be OK. It sounds like you might be 'owed' two, but that's very different to having them. Remember they have to give them to you within a week of the absence. Well done for joining the union. They'll help you if they screw you over. But still, you probably should have gone to work today!
Splodger
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It's Tesco's I work for them aswell but luckily my manager is good therefore if I just let her know that I can't make it in but I will make the hours up next week its fine.
Sky_Dream
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't think you will get sacked, but you might get a verbal warning or something. I got one when i was working at tesco because apparently you were only allowed to have a 3% sickness rate, and mine was 3.8% ( i wasn't sick that much, however all my holiday requests were denied and i had worked there for two years, so i took them off sick.)
Old Git - Young Brain
Report 8 years ago
don't worry yourself - :woo: it should be a verbal warning only for a first offence, however you may be able to argue that no offence was committed, you're also entitled by law to have an independent witness, normaly another colleague, present throughout. if your manager makes an issue out of it then talk to ACAS - they're government funded so give free help and advice. if the manager doesn't honour your contract of employment by following the procedures laid out in that contract and handbook THEY are in deep doo-doo and can have a counter claim made against them. This counter claim can be for either breach of contract or in an extreme case like your dismissal (highly unlikely) - gross misconduct or unprofessional conduct. so don't worry yourself - you followed the guidelines in the employees handbook.
next time call in with something contagious though, flu or something like it, they hate the idea of you contaminating the workforce so will almost always say 'take as much time as you need'. The other plus of flu is that you're asked NOT to go into your GP but call NHS Direct instead. Perfect - 'but I couldn't get a sicknote, boss, i was advised not to come into the GP's but phone NHS Direct instead'. Your backside will be well and truly covered.
honesty only pays when your dealing with the mum, everyone else get nothing but big fat whoppers - it's the way of the world. hope this helps? good luck and chill.
NStocks
Rep:
?
Thank you to the last few posts, they were extremely helpful. I'm relaxing now, not only because in reality they can't sack me, but also my uni work is starting to get somewhere If they try to sack me on the spot, I will just mention a few things that have been said on here, such as the disciplinary actions i.e I haven't had any yet, the fact that I've worked here for two years etc.... I was kinda hoping to get a load of summer overtime, whilst I'm not at Uni but I guess this won't be handed to me that often ( although only 2 team leaders know of my absence and I'm not sure they tell EVERYONE on checkouts.)

Next year - that is next academic year I want to know how many days I will be in for. This first year I go in for 4 days, though there aren't that long days, so if I'm going to be attending Uni for less next year I can probably cope better with work and Uni. If I find out that I'll be attending Uni for more days that maybe I should work every other saturday. The only bad thing about that is if I'm coping well with the workload, I will be missing out of an extra weeks wages.

Thank You !
hypocriticaljap
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Clubber Lang)
They cannot sack him for this if he has worked there over a certain period of time (2 years will cover it) or they might find themselves at an employment tribunal

However, may find they have good grounds next time if done again soon citing unreliability.
I don't agree. They weren't ill, it wasn't pressing compassionate leave, it was someone so disorganised they didn't turn up for the one day a week they work because they couldn't sort out their uni work on time. Imagine how an employer would feel if a worker took the day off, unauthorised, to go to a cricket match. They'd be sacked on the spot!
Furthermore OP the advice on here isn't worth diddly squat. Quoting them to your employer will only be humiliating for you.The only thing that applies are the terms of your employment contract with Tesco that you gladly signed and agreed to be bound by.
Clubber Lang
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
I don't agree. They weren't ill, it wasn't pressing compassionate leave, it was someone so disorganised they didn't turn up for the one day a week they work because they couldn't sort out their uni work on time. Imagine how an employer would feel if a worker took the day off, unauthorised, to go to a cricket match. They'd be sacked on the spot!
Furthermore OP the advice on here isn't worth diddly squat. Quoting them to your employer will only be humiliating for you.The only thing that applies are the terms of your employment contract with Tesco that you gladly signed and agreed to be bound by.
Having worked at Tesco, evem if you miss a shift without telling them beforehand doesnt lead to gross misconduct - so there is no way this will.

Tribunals normally side with the employee - they would definitley see this as too harsh a sacking.
jacketpotato
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hypocriticaljap)
The only thing that applies are the terms of your employment contract with Tesco that you gladly signed and agreed to be bound by.
Nonsense. This isn't the 19th century - we have workers' rights!!!

Op, Clubber Lang's advice is sound. This simply isn't sufficient on its own for a sacking, and you have worked at Tesco long enough to qualify for the full range of employment rights.

Still, if I was the manager, I'd be pretty pissed and would definitely give you a disciplinary. Failing to organise your timetable properly is a pretty rubbish reason for missing a shift. To be honest you would have been better off lying and saying that you were ill - if you are a generally reliable person, your manager would have got a lot less annoyed.
little.miss.vicki
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You definitely have rights and I'm fairly confident they won't just sack you on the spot.

HOWEVER you have breached your contract (I think you mentioned that you have to work a minimum amout of hours each week, if you haven't worked enough hours then you're in breach of your contract). I wouldn't be surprised if they give you a disciplinary.

I'm also fairly sure that the rule about phoning in 2hrs before your shift starts only applies if you're ill (or if there is some sort of emergency), you can't just take time off at the last minute because you haven't organised your time properly.

If you need time off for uni work in the future then you need to book it in advance (When I was doing A levels I booked a week off the week my coursework was in and booked another couple of weeks off when I had exams. If you can't predict when you're going to have a lot of work then you need to consider whether you are actually able to do this job (there may well be a scheme where they can put you on a 0hrs contract so you only work when you're free, i.e. during holidays)
NStocks
Rep:
?
I'm actually thinking about taking time off ( unpaid) until April. I have loads of deadlines this month and I can't risk taking another day off. I know that quite a lot of people who work at tesco and go to uni, only work in the summer holidays/ seasonal holidays... I doubt Tesco will allow it, but I think I will be better asking them if I can start work again in April... then i loose £400 but my work will be better

Thanks
aomar49191
Report 8 years ago
Dont worry mate, they won't fire you because it will cost them lot of money. I work for Marks and Spencer, one of my mate that works at the same place always rings in sick or something is not bother to call. On one day I over heared a confension between his manager and store manager, store manager said " it will cost alot of money to fire him" So these days large businesses only fire their employee on a seriouse cases such Stealing, Abuse, Etc
JaneD
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
To be honest, I also worked for tesco. There some of the managers who are just insecure when they see you progressing. They'll find every way to frustrate you.
jonathanemptage
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'd quit and get a job at the union bar they would understand a situation like this

Posted from TSR Mobile
James_hambling
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Can I be fired from Tesco if I didn't turn up for an overtime shift?
Swanbow
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by NStocks)
There's loads of people on checkouts who hate their job and don't turn up, I'm not the only one, but I'm one of few who at least ring up to tell them I won't be coming in. Everyone who takes days off still keep their job. If they attempt to sack me, I will be going to the union and whatever else I can do... Will a employment tribunal really happen if they choose to sack me on the spot ?
Usdaw will help you. They have a stress hotline and another for workplaces grievances that you can phone, and the person on the other end will be more informed on the proper procedure and your rights. If it is bothering you just ring them, that's why you pay for the membership at the end of the day.

Very unlikely you will get sacked. If they do you will most likely win in an employment tribunal.
Bill_Gates
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
let's hope Tesco collapses.
44blossom
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Hey, I havnt turned up for work continuously 3 days ...will i be sacked?
Danny the Geezer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Prioritise then-if you can't find the time to work, don't.
AdamNitron
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
This thread survived for 5 years. Holy crap! I was in year 9 of high school when this was created and now I'm heading off to university. Time flies man...
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (242)
27.31%
No (644)
72.69%

Watched Threads