The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Sure, Taiwan is part of China but Chinese government will never recognize Taiwan as China #2.

US needs China because of North Korea. Only China can convince North Korea to not do crazy stuff.
Student2806
Because US consumerism keeps the Chinese economy going. The US needs China and China needs the US.
Nothing will come of this petty little squabble. The US can't do anything but keep up its end of the deal in arming Taiwan, and China knows that it can't invade Taiwan and risk an almighty backlash from America.

You're right...but I can't fully agree with you.

Although US is China's biggest consumer...there are other countries that do buy Chinese products...so I think it will still significantly continue without the support of the US.

I still think that the whole issue with Taiwan is ridiculous...but politics come before economy in China...as we can see here.

The US...however...won't be able to do much without the support of China. Both powers are about the same...with China being a little bit more powerful.
zero_Gravity91
The US...however...won't be able to do much without the support of China. Both powers are about the same...with China being a little bit more powerful.

China being more powerful than the US in what respect, because they're definitely not more powerful militarily nor economically speaking.
socksy
Really? You think so?

If Taiwan finally got the international recognition of independence that they've wanted for so long, why would the US be reliant on China anymore? They'd just use Taiwanese sweatshops instead! Apple already do.

And there are always other countries which we can exploit. Nike use sweatshops in Vietnam, for example.

And the fact that one of major reasons that China's production is so cheap is because of what is effectively an artificially low exchange rate can't exactly help in the long term either...

I can't really see Taiwan having sweatshops anymore. They are more developed as a country than China...but I don't see it happening in Taiwan.

As for sweatshops...companies COULD move to Vietnam, Bangladesh, or India...but not Taiwan.
Cyclone33
Sure, Taiwan is part of China but Chinese government will never recognize Taiwan as China #2.

US needs China because of North Korea. Only China can convince North Korea to not do crazy stuff.

Taiwan isn't part of China.

The US doesn't need China, it's the other way around.

As for North Korea, that's such a stupid claim.
Stalin
China being more powerful than the US in what respect, because they're definitely not more powerful militarily nor economically speaking.

Well...it's a rising power...so I think it is economically strong. As for military...I do think the US is stronger.

I'm saying that it balances out because China has been pretty stable with the economy...even when the recession occurred. I'm not saying that China greatly surpassed the US in terms of economic status...just that they have a more stable economy.
zero_Gravity91
Well...it's a rising power...so I think it is economically strong. As for military...I do think the US is stronger.

I'm saying that it balances out because China has been pretty stable with the economy...even when the recession occurred. I'm not saying that China greatly surpassed the US in terms of economic status...just that they have a more stable economy.

You realise that the US economy is twice as big as China's right?
Stalin
You realise that the US economy is twice as big as China's right?

That may be the case before the recession...but I don't think that is the case now.
zero_Gravity91
That may be the case before the recession...but I don't think that is the case now.

What do you base this upon?
Stalin
What do you base this upon?

Didn't I just say recession?

China's economy plateaued during the recession...while the American economy staggered...causing businesses to go bankrupt. At the same time, China was not as affected by the economy than the US.

As a result, the series of events shifted the economic situation?
zero_Gravity91
Didn't I just say recession?

China's economy plateaued during the recession...while the American economy staggered...causing businesses to go bankrupt. At the same time, China was not as affected by the economy than the US.

As a result, the series of events shifted the economic situation?

US economy 2008 - $14,000,000,000,000
China's economy 2008 - $4,000,000,000,000

Are you seriously implying that China's economy quadrupled within 2 years?

I think you need to turn off a few of the news channels you've been watching and come into reality. Yes, the China's economy will eventually overtake its counterpart in New York, however not in 2 years, don't be ludicrous.
Stalin
US economy 2008 - $14,000,000,000,000
China's economy 2008 - $4,000,000,000,000

Are you seriously implying that China's economy quadrupled within 2 years?

I think you need to turn off a few of the news channels you've been watching and come into reality. Yes, the China's economy will eventually overtake its counterpart in New York, however not in 2 years, don't be ludicrous.

Well...thanks for implying that the channels that I watch are unreal. Maybe the channels that you've been watching are the imaginary ones?

I never CLAIMED that in 2 years...China's economy will overcome the US economy. Maybe you should start updating the numbers...and tell me the numbers for 2009? I would like to know.

Oh...don't forget that the US owes China a huge amount of debt. Shouldn't you take that into consideration?
zero_Gravity91
I never CLAIMED that in 2 years...China's economy will overcome the US economy. Maybe you should start updating the numbers...and tell me the numbers for 2009? I would like to know.

"As a result, the series of events shifted the economic situation?"

I think you just did imply that China's economy quadrupled in 2 years.

:rofl:

As for 2009 numbers, I can't find them anywhere. However, I expect that China won't be far off overtaking Japan and France will have widened the gap between it and the UK.
Stalin
"As a result, the series of events shifted the economic situation?"

I think you just did imply that China's economy quadrupled in 2 years.

:rofl:

As for 2009 numbers, I can't find them anywhere. However, I expect that China won't be far off overtaking Japan and France will have widened the gap between it and the UK.

Shifting the economic situation doesn't mean that China's economy has reached that of the US. :facepalm:

I'm just stating that the American economy is staggering; it doesn't mean that it's going to collapse.

As for the Chinese economy...it is improving...but not at an exponential rate.
zero_Gravity91
Shifting the economic situation doesn't mean that China's economy has reached that of the US. :facepalm:

I'm just stating that the American economy is staggering; it doesn't mean that it's going to collapse.

As for the Chinese economy...it is improving...but not at an exponential rate.

Well after your first claim that China is more powerful than the US, it'd be easy to jump to that conclusion.

And I beg to differ, the Chinese economy is growing at an exponential rate.
Stalin
Well after your first claim that China is more powerful than the US, it'd be easy to jump to that conclusion.

And I beg to differ, the Chinese economy is growing at an exponential rate.

Well...what do you want me to say then? :sigh:

If it was growing at an exponential rate, then China's economy SHOULD surpass the US economy in 2 years...as you stated. :ahee:
zero_Gravity91
Well...what do you want me to say then? :sigh:

If it was growing at an exponential rate, then China's economy SHOULD surpass the US economy in 2 years...as you stated. :ahee:

Exponential rate doesn't mean quadrupling in 2 years...
Reply 37

Is that world war 3 I see yonder there?
Reply 38
This has been going on for a long time, they'll make up (the US and China that is).

Latest

Trending

Trending