The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

OP, this guy will explain it to you xD

G8D
Doesn't make sense, no evidence, too many contradictions in the holy books.

Plenty more reasons but why should I have to justify my belief (or lack there of), no one else seems to :colonhash:

Noone is saying you have to. The OP is inviting people to share their views if they so wish. Don't know why you bothered posting at all.
Reply 22
flowerness
Holy spirit? Bible stories?

If you believe that's true, how can you decide on a religion - all have their fancy stories and books? Also the Holy Spirit as poof is effectively saying that your belief provides evidence for you to believe - it's a concept from a work of fiction to make primitives feel good about what happens when their body starts to decay and gets eaten by worms/bacteria/etc. There's certainly no proof of it other than faith.

Anyway, to answer the OP...
I believe that there's no God simply because when I look at what religion is at least partly responsible for over the years (brutal killings, massacres, wars, summary executions to steal people's houses (think widows being branded witches here), god-given power to belittle women, you name it) and then look at the evidence for it (old books) I can't imagine that this is the realisation of the wishes of a 'perfect' God or even anything worthy of being Worshipped in any way.
Reply 23
Its like the tooth fairy but for adults. Religous people are so afraid that life has no meaning they create a world in which they feel controlled and layed out. Their afraid and feel they need constant reasurance that they are not alone. That there is a higher power other than human.
Reply 24
Talveer
Story's and tales =/= evidence.

So these 'tales' were made up by imaginary people? Hughly doubt such amazing stories like those in the bible can be made up...

Prussianking666
Seriously? Well then little red riding hood must exist as well, and goldylocks and the three bears.

What do you have to lose if you just believe in a God?

Lyaios
No reason to believe in. It seems much more natural for me to not believe in any supernatural power/person/object than the other way around. Why don't you believe in Dionysos or unobservable flying teapots? Or maybe you do?:confused:

The fact that God was atually a person in my eyes, that makes it believable and the fact that there is written proof about him...
It just seems like more common sense to believe in a person than what you've stated.

Sarah182
Because the whole idea of people talking to an invisible guy in the sky, who has some influence over what happens on earth, seems completely bizarre and illogical to me :smile:

Well if someone put it like that to me I'd agree with you too but I actually decided to find out for myself. That's the problem with some people...they just assume and don't find out for theirselves...
My parents never taught me about God, and I never felt I was missing anything.

Although I do get a twinge whenever someone posts a thread to atheists... people care.... :smile:
I came up with this once and haven't thought of a better way of expressing it

I am an atheist simply because I have not been presented with evidence sufficient to make me believe that the existence of God/ greater being is plausible/likely.

I don't think I need to read every single religious book out there (as has been suggested) to reasonably come to this conclusion. Because it's not individual religions that I dismiss, rather the entire notion of a higher being.

Arguably - there is no evidence either way that a higher being (one that merely exists without doing anything that we could detect) does/does not exist. Because the point is that it's not doing anything that we could detect. Really though, there's no reason to believe such a thing does exist - and if it did, believing in it would hardly make a difference (in fact its existence makes only a philosophical difference).

However - I think that looking at the world around us I can logically conclude that an active benevolent God, such as that found in Christianity, probably does not exist. Because what active benevolent changes can actually be attributed to it? I don't think any can. If you cited one kid getting better from cancer as being down to God's friendly intervention, I could just cite another who died. Everything in this world, to me at least, seems to be working as though there were no God. I would ask a religious person, if you believe there is a God - what difference would there be in the world if there was not a God?

I hope that all makes sense

EDIT: All the pros of religion: happiness/comfort, belief in the afterlife, community - nice as they are I could never believe something I hold to be untrue. Likewise, although I believe there are cons to religion (as well as pros I might add), and whinge about them frequently even if there were no cons at all, I would still hold religious belief to be based on something untrue/implausible. So - in my opinion - all of these arguments regarding "atheism is BAD cause you have nothing to believe in"etc or equally "religion is BAD cause it causes wars"etc even if valid, do not actually address or have any impact upon whether religious belief is actually true or not - so are a little beside the point.

EDIT: As for what do you have to lose, or Pascal's wager:

If I said what have you got to lose by believing there's a nice bowl of tasty icecream sitting in front of you - that's not going to make you believe it exists.
Even if you assume that religion is better than atheism (in terms of happiness or whatever) the nicest option is not necessarily the truest option. I can't believe something I think its not true just because it might be nice, or because there is nothing to lose in doing so.

If I went along with that - well I'd be kidding myself.
Reply 27
So many contradicions. Also the fact that alot of religious people believe they are better people than atheists disgusts me. In my opinion religion is holding our civilization back, we should aim for knowledge, to discover everything that there is too discover. We should all put our faith in science, things that are actually proven to work, not the hope that there is some bearded man (or maybe bearded woman lol who knows) up there helping us.

Anyway if there was a god, which of course there obviously isn't but if there was, maybe we should rebel against it. He is obviously a bad person for needing his son to be killed to have a second chance and all the bad things he's done to the human race of the years, he must be evil. Having one person or thing in power isn't right, dictatorships should be shunned upon. And also, this month he tried to ethnically cleanse all the Haitians from the planet. What a bad guy.

A better question would be fore christians, why do you believe in there is a god? Or maybe, why don't you think god is a muslim or another religion because there are thousands of religions.
Reply 28
Butterflyleg
OP, this guy will explain it to you xD

I'm asking YOU for you're input not some idiot who's saying what he thinks.
flowerness

What do you have to lose if you just believe in a God?

What do you have to lose if you don't?
Reply 30
No evidence, common sense, plus if "god" was real and he's supposed to be oh so nice there would not be all this crap in the world.
Reply 31
evodario

A better question would be fore christians, why do you believe in there is a god? Or maybe, why don't you think god is a muslim or another religion because there are thousands of religions.

I could have chosen that question but I'd like to hear the other side of not believing in a God - I want to see what people's reasons are against a God not for...
Reply 32
Many reasons, including this.

Most religions, if not all, are wrong. They cannot all be right.
Why bank your chances on one?
That's probably not the main reason though.
Reply 33
As others have said, there is no reason nor evidence for a God.

A few Aesop's Fables-style stories aren't going to convince me.
I don't necessarily not believe in a God (although I am very doubtful.) However, if there is a God I don't believe that it is anything like the God religions preach about.
flowerness
Holy spirit? Bible stories?

I assume you read the Koran, before deciding not to be a Muslim?
Reply 36
flowerness

Well if someone put it like that to me I'd agree with you too but I actually decided to find out for myself. That's the problem with some people...they just assume and don't find out for theirselves...

Good for you....

But I also am against religion in general for all the discrimination which results from it.. So I had never had any urge to look into it.
Reply 37
no evidence. and bible is contradictory and evil. if people think its a good form of moral guidance then those people are very stupid.
Reply 38
MissFanatical
What do you have to lose if you don't?

Everything...

QUOTE=caraa91]No evidence, common sense, plus if "god" was real and he's supposed to be oh so nice there would not be all this crap in the world.
Common question you've asked there...
Personally, I don't believe in God because some of the worst actions ever carried out have been done so with "God" and "faith" used as backup; because God is a term applied to things we can't explain; because where religious people see "Intelligent Design" I see coincidence; because like many of the people on this thread have said, believing in 2000 year old scriptures is about as logical as believing in fairytales. There are so many contradictions- and oneday people will look at Christianity/Judaism/Islam/modern religions etc in the same way we now look at the Greek and Roman Gods.
But that's just me :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending