Would a church wedding be a dealbreaker for you? Watch

Evil Monkey
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Ignore your mum.

She obviously already has a set idea of what a wedding should be.

They shouldn't. It'd be your wedding, you'd do it how you wanted.

Good on you for not thinking it's a day purely for the bride!
dzeh
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CharlieDon'tSurf)
I'm intolerant of homosexuals, blacks and Jedi's.
I am a jedi knight and I wipe sith scum off the face of the galaxy only light will rein.
LondonMinx
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It is not your mum's wedding. It is yours. She had her wedding now is the time for YOU.
Double Agent
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've had this conversation, my girlfriend is anti church, I am very keen to get married in a church, not that i've been brought up being religious, it jsut feels right.

Is it a deal breaker for me? No, if I get to spend my life with her, I dont care where it is.
Antzlck
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I don't necessarily have to marry in a church, but there would have to be a christian aspect to the ceremony.

If my wife was anti-God, anti-Christ then I would have a problem with that, for me it's not so much about the religion.
Psyk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by CharlieDon'tSurf)
I'm intolerant of homosexuals, blacks and Jedi's.
Wow, if Mace Windu is into guys you must really hate him.

Getting married in a church is not a deal breaker for me, but it might be for the church. I don't have a problem having the ceremony in the building, most churches are pretty nice buildings. But I won't make any vows involving god because they would all be empty lies. I think honesty is a good thing in a marriage so starting it off with a whopping lie isn't good.
EvilSheep
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not really religious, but I'd like to get married in church anyways.. But it would definitely not be a dealbreaker!
L i b
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Probably not, although it is very much my preference. Maybe.
Turdburger
Badges: 14
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by jammythedodger)
A Non-Church Wedding is very much a dealbraker for me.

I will get married in a Church and nothing else.
It's too important for me to not take me vows "in front of God" so to speak.
But God is everywhere apparently isnt he?
OceanInTheSky
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I would prefer a wedding in a nice outdoor venue, eg: Beach, Countryside, etc... as it's nicer and cheaper. But I wouldn't mind if my bride had her heart set on a church wedding.
py0alb
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Churches are cool. Religion is not. Just have a secular ceremony in a decommisioned church. Everyones a winner.

OP, who are you marrying, your boyfriend or your mum? ffs.
common_person
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've been brought up with church weddings being the norm and so it feels like a default choice for a venue, but when I think about it I realise I don't give a **** and will probably be happy even if I elope and get married in my pyjamas.

Also, if I got married in a church I'd feel a bit weird. I don't think I want God to have any part in my marriage, even if it's just for ceremony and tradition. I don't think I want the blessings and whatnot, I'd feel a terrible fraud and I'd be all "God can keep his nose out of my wedding".
Hugh-Jackman
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
who are these people in the UK that are getting brought up as a christian??? There was one person in my whole year at school who was religious and she was seen as a freak and she stopped being religious by 17...I haven't seen her for like 4-5 years and I don't know 1 single christian and live in a 95%+ white area. Most my mates like me haven't been christian'd either..I don't really see the point of marriage...is there any point to it...apart from feeling trapped and being screwed over by divorce courts.
haz220807
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd never get married in a church. Firstly because I can't - I haven't been christened. But also because to me the whole point of getting married in church is so it's a union between the two people and God. If you don't believe in God then there's no need to get married in church.
LawBore
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd not get married in a church. I'd feel a burning shame as I affirmed vows of love and commitment, ratifying them on the authority of a being that I was making a poor show pretending to believe in, merely to mollify the local Hyacinth Buckets. No, anyone who'd marry me wouldn't do it there.
little_green
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I got married last year in a civil ceremony, as neither me nor my husband are religious, and I don't think it could have gone any better I think it's a bit hypocritical to get married in a church if you don't really believe in God, just for 'show', so it probably would be a dealbreaker for me. My husband's grandparents are very active in the church and did enquire as to whether we would be having a church ceremony, but happily saw the decision as ours to make and really enjoyed the day.
The Referee
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think not wanting (or being willing to go through) a church wedding would be a deal breaker...but then again, if our beliefs/philosophies were so far apart I doubt we'd be getting married anyway.
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My brother and his girlfriend want to get married in a church (well, my brother's girlfriend does) even though neither of them believe in God. It's mostly because his girlfriend's mother got married in a particular church and she wants to get married there too, but I think at the end of the day they, and anyone else who wants to get married in a church solely for traditions sake are missing the point.

Church weddings are religious first and foremost; it is meant to be a union between two people and God (no matter how silly I think that sounds) and if you stand there and make promises without believing in any of it, it kind of makes your marriage vows a lie and you a hypocrite. Getting married is a serious comittment so it should have real meaning to you and to have meaning I think it needs to be honest most of all, and I don't see how it ever can be if that inherently religious element of a church goes completely against what you believe.

So yeah, getting married in a church would be a serious dealbreaker for me.
Holly Hiskey
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
My parents got married on a beach in the Seyschelles (my mum's first marriage, in a church, was to a "christian" guy who ran off with her money, thus displaying a fairly majorly lack of understanding in his own religion). Anyway, they got married on the beach, with mum wearing a blue dress and are still happily together 25 years afterwards.
So yeah, if I do get married ever it would hopefully be in a vineyard in Italy/ a beach somewhere.
xoxo_GossipGirl
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm not religious and don't think I could spend my life with someone who was religious enough for marriage in a church to be a dealbreaker.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have any savings?

Yes (111)
72.08%
No (43)
27.92%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise