Cheaper car insurance when you turn 21 Watch

This discussion is closed.
Mrvn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Lapis lazuli)
Then do those sames tests with a differerent range of insurers and then see the results vary wildly!
(note: I've updated the original post.)

Yup, I just checked for a 1.7TDI Astra, (insurance group 5E for some strange reason) and it came back as 1,250. Which is very good.

THEN I decided to check so called comparision websites and the price came back £2,120.

So far, I would reccommend going onto elephant.co.uk and following my guide above. It really works. (don't lie about your age = bad idea.) Find a friend or relative that lives in the SE12 area for example, (like my friend) and my insurance apeared £1,000 cheaper! Say the car is kept overnight at his house. That simple.

Hope this helps fellas!
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Mrvn)
(note: I've updated the original post.)

Yup, I just checked for a 1.7TDI Astra, (insurance group 5E for some strange reason) and it came back as 1,250. Which is very good.

THEN I decided to check so called comparision websites and the price came back £2,120.

So far, I would reccommend going onto elephant.co.uk and following my guide above. It really works. (don't lie about your age = bad idea.) Find a friend or relative that lives in the SE12 area for example, (like my friend) and my insurance apeared £1,000 cheaper! Say the car is kept overnight at his house. That simple.

Hope this helps fellas!
Except that is fraud and in the event of a claim gives really good ammunition for a insurance company not to pay out...

The insurance companies have recently started clamping down on students who say their car is at home when it is kept overnight at uni for more than half the year, so you need to be careful.

Best thing, is just to be honest to insurance companies, can't go wrong then and they can't get out of paying out.

However, if you do keep your car at your friends house for more than half the year then fair play.
Mrvn
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by gbduo)
Except that is fraud and in the event of a claim gives really good ammunition for a insurance company not to pay out...

The insurance companies have recently started clamping down on students who say their car is at home when it is kept overnight at uni for more than half the year, so you need to be careful.

Best thing, is just to be honest to insurance companies, can't go wrong then and they can't get out of paying out.

However, if you do keep your car at your friends house for more than half the year then fair play.
No its not. It's on the policy, it asks you where the car would "normally" be kept overnight. = At a friends house. Its not asking you where you live. Trust me, I've checked out most of the things in the list. It would be impossible for them to actually sit down and prove that it was kept elsewhere most of the time. Plus, it when I was taking the insurance out, it was. Things changed
gbduo
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
They could ask neighbours: "Do you normally see a blue Ford Fiesta parked here?"

Replies "No"

Insurance assessor "Really, are you sure?

Neighbour "I have not seen a blue Ford Fiesta here for a long time, it was here a few months ago, stayed a few weeks then have not seen it since"

Insurance assossor "Interesting"

Net result, they could void your insurance and not pay out. I don't think people realise how much of a bugger insurance companies are, they will do anything to save a penny! Finding out you falsified some piece of information will just mean they try and find out what else you have falsified.

Its a false economy to be economical with the truth with insurance companies...
m_spiers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Mine went down from £1500 to £900 when i just renwed at the start of February.
Got my first years no claims though, so that would of helped to.
Natashajadeh
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
With what insurance? I'll be 21 the day before I renew my insurance, hopefully I'll have my years no claims bonus
Laomedeia
Badges: 21
Report 2 years ago
How the hell can people bring themselves to hand over 4 digit money just for insurance? I just could not hand over so much money for something that I dont directly benefit from. I would rather not drive at all. Even taking the risk of driving without insurance would probably work out better than some of these silly quotes.
Matty-T16
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
Currently 20, 21 at the end of March. Bought a 1.1 Pug 206 last Feb (2017) under 'self employed plasterer' and for fully comp with Hastings (without telematics) it cost me £2,100... Had to sell after 6 weeks because I changed firms and had to take 3 weeks off, couldn't afford to keep it going, got my deposit back from them anyway they were great. Just a year on, I am getting quotes for £1,400 without telematics on a 1.4 206 just because 1. I've held my DL longer, 2. I've stated I've held insurance before and 3. I'm older, edited my d.o.b out of interest by a month or two and the price shot down as soon as I was 21. As soon as I turn 21 next month I will be buying another 206 and getting insured. The price drop in 1 year is crazy. Hope this helps!
nevershear
  • Community Assistant
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 9 months ago
(Original post by Matty-T16)
Currently 20, 21 at the end of March. Bought a 1.1 Pug 206 last Feb (2017) under 'self employed plasterer' and for fully comp with Hastings (without telematics) it cost me £2,100... Had to sell after 6 weeks because I changed firms and had to take 3 weeks off, couldn't afford to keep it going, got my deposit back from them anyway they were great. Just a year on, I am getting quotes for £1,400 without telematics on a 1.4 206 just because 1. I've held my DL longer, 2. I've stated I've held insurance before and 3. I'm older, edited my d.o.b out of interest by a month or two and the price shot down as soon as I was 21. As soon as I turn 21 next month I will be buying another 206 and getting insured. The price drop in 1 year is crazy. Hope this helps!
It would have helped almost 8 years ago.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were you ever put in isolation at school?

Yes (34)
27.42%
No (90)
72.58%

Watched Threads