If you failed your A levels and couldn't go to University what would you do? Watch

Sequin
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd take a gap year, rack up tons of work experience, alongside a part time job, and I'd resit.

Though if uni wasn't an option at all, I'd get into some kind of GCSE/A Level appropriate training .. or something office-ish where I have opportunity to work up. Human resources or something, that would let me with little qualifications.

As much as I wouldn't want to sponge off my Dad, he owns a small company, that might be able to employ me. Id feel awful though, he only employs 2 people in Manchester, and I'd hate to have a job being the boss' daughter. No matter what happens, degree or no degree, I am not taking over the family business, no way. I see how miserable it makes my Dad
moomin_love
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Jacky_B)
Do what ever you are happy with University isn't the only way forward. There is nothing wrong at all with doing college courses (in fact if I wasn't so passionate about History I doubt I would be going to University). There are other routes to success like the exact one you have said. Don't think "If I don't go to uni I will fail at life" because that simply isn't the case.

At the same time if you do want to go to university don't let your parents say what can and cant do in your life. If that is your dream you go for it!!
Haha I'm hoping to do History at Uni as well The reason I'm kind of worrying is because my parents would literally disown me if I got a student loan and went to Uni behind their back sort of thing and I love my parents too much to lose them preferably I would like to improve my grades while having a job and reapply for uni, but they're really against that, as I'm already a year behind because I took an unconventional gap year between GCSE and A level!

Also, I'm predicted AAA, so I'm obviously not stupid, but a few things led to me not being able to revise this January, which means that I've got retakes in summer with an excessive amount of exams I'm trying my hardest to keep up, but it's all a little crazy and I'm starting to doubt myself and what I'll realistically be able to achieve! So I want a back up plan that will still be academic sort of thing and studying to become a veterinary nurse while working at the same time is the only thing I can think of that will still be able to push me!

Does anyone know of any ways to get into journalism without going to University and with no work experience? Or how to get work experience? I have tried and I've always been turned away saying that I need to have experience to get experience... It's like one big vicious circle!!
heidigirl
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by moomin_love)
Basically, if I fail my A levels and don't get into University this year my parents have said I'm not allowed to go at all, as I've already had a year out. The only thing that I can think of that may be remotely interesting for a back up plan is to become a veterinary nurse. This includes working in a veterinary practice and going to college one day a week, which I quite like the idea of
This is what stood out the most. What about what you want? You're an adult, and whatever decisions you make are yours and yours alone; after all, your parents aren't the ones that have to live with the decisions you make, you are.

Even if you feel you have to rely on your parents financially, this isn't necessarily the case (student loans + get a job and save?) so you shouldn't feel like this gives them control over you. And as for your relationship with them, if they really love you and want what's best, they should (eventually) support whatever you decide. Don't let them dictate your life or play upon your fears of being 'disowned'; you only validate their belief that they're entitled to emotionally blackmail you in that way if you allow them to do so and they'll just keep on doing it.

If going to uni is what you want to do, failing your A-levels wouldn't be the biggest deal in the world. You could just resit, or like has already been mentioned do a foundation course. But the most important thing is to do what you want to do, not what your parents want you to do.
a.posteriori
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You could probably go into (most any branch of) business and do well. A good work ethic and a quick mind go a very long way.
Smeh
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Army.
morecambebay
Badges: 16
Report 8 years ago
Haha I'm hoping to do History at Uni as well The reason I'm kind of worrying is because my parents would literally disown me if I got a student loan and went to Uni behind their back sort of thing and I love my parents too much to lose them preferably I would like to improve my grades while having a job and reapply for uni, but they're really against that, as I'm already a year behind because I took an unconventional gap year between GCSE and A level!

Also, I'm predicted AAA, so I'm obviously not stupid, but a few things led to me not being able to revise this January, which means that I've got retakes in summer with an excessive amount of exams I'm trying my hardest to keep up, but it's all a little crazy and I'm starting to doubt myself and what I'll realistically be able to achieve! So I want a back up plan that will still be academic sort of thing and studying to become a veterinary nurse while working at the same time is the only thing I can think of that will still be able to push me!

Does anyone know of any ways to get into journalism without going to University and with no work experience? Or how to get work experience? I have tried and I've always been turned away saying that I need to have experience to get experience... It's like one big vicious circle!!
Set up your own newspaper/magazine?
Doughboy
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I actually don't have a Plan B. I am really hoping to get into university. If I don't, then I'll need some time to think about what I will do. Maybe I'd get a job and still try to get into university.
Ess
Report 8 years ago
I'd get a part-time job over the week and resit & reapply.

And if I failed again, I'd do it all again :P
moomin_love
Rep:
?
(Original post by morecambebay)
Set up your own newspaper/magazine?
Considering I've had no experience I think it would probably be a pretty big fail!
Jacky_B
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

In that case I take my hat off to you :top2: History is one good subject :p:

What you do in your life is your decision, if you want to go to university and take on the debt that is your problem regardless of what your parents think. Like you said yourself you are predicted AAA so your obviously not stupid, sit down and talk to them about it. Do your research and show them the benefits of taking a degree over the long term. Take them along to open days so they can feel more comfortable about it.

Keep your mind focussed and you can achieve anything you want Remember, no doors are ever locked to you.

As for journalism I don't have much knowledge of that area. All I can suggest is that you that you write to all your local newspapers (local and regional).
morecambebay
Report 8 years ago
Considering I've had no experience I think it would probably be a pretty big fail!
its your negative attitude that would make you fail, not your lack of experience.
Doughboy
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
its your negative attitude that would make you fail, not your lack of experience.
Oh heys guys let's set up our own magazine or newspaper since it's SO easy! :p:
morecambebay
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Doughboy)
Oh heys guys let's set up our own magazine or newspaper since it's SO easy! :p:
I didnt say it was easy...but its not impossible either.

How do you think student magazines get set up? people with no experience do it because its the bast way to gain some.
Sarky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I picked myself up, got a job and went to college at night.
moomin_love
Rep:
?
I set up a school magazine once (we didn't have one before I started) and it was just awful and it was sooo expensive and that's with not paying anyone to write anything! And you can barely write a successful magazine on your own. If it was that easy everyone who likes writing would do it just for the experience! You need a reasonable amount of money behind you to start your own business/magazine.
HumorousGent.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
top myself; definitely top myself.
morecambebay
Report 8 years ago
I set up a school magazine once (we didn't have one before I started) and it was just awful and it was sooo expensive and that's with not paying anyone to write anything! And you can barely write a successful magazine on your own. If it was that easy everyone who likes writing would do it just for the experience! You need a reasonable amount of money behind you to start your own business/magazine.
What if it started online, and then you built up visitor numbers until it was big enough to launch properly?

You'd have to work for free for a while, but if thats what it takes then thats what you need to do.
ballerinabetty
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Diminutive)
I'd ignored my parents, re do my a levels or do a university foundation course and go to university anyway.
this ^

i didnt think it was your parents choice weather you went to uni and how you got there. am i missing something OP?
Jfranny
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i'll probably become a prostitute, serious
Adamn
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Probably just sit on the floor, crying. For days. Lol.
Then I'd probably run away to Germany . Or maybe I'd resit my A Levels.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (756)
80.34%
Leave (185)
19.66%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise