Report Thread starter 8 years ago
http://i45.tinypic.com/33vnp1u.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/2jciouq.jpg
alexsheppard11
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
garh, sorry im not following your screenshots.

il go through it shortly myself
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
ok, right, i dont know where those last 2 screenshots came from.

however, screenshot 4 was in the right place.
use the up down, left and right keys to find the folder you want to copy
press c (like it says at the bottom)
it will then say near the top 'are you sure you want to copy folder X to the folder Y' (folder Y probably being where testdisk is running from)

now this is your choice, do you want to say it on the other hard drive somewhere?
if so, you will have to select the '..' option at the top of the list of folders, to go up a folder, keep doing this, then you'll get to the choose which hard drive.
then press Y to start copying
bleeper
Rep:
?
OK i have got my **** from my harddrive. That test disk **** somehow worked and i am now at a point where i can see everything! Woot However everything does not include the files saved on my desktop. My friend who i did this with said that i should do this:

run
cmd

chkdsk /r c:

Which i'll do tomorrow.
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by bleeper)
OK i have got my **** from my harddrive. That test disk **** somehow worked and i am now at a point where i can see everything! Woot However everything does not include the files saved on my desktop. My friend who i did this with said that i should do this:

run
cmd

chkdsk /r c:

Which i'll do tomorrow.
hmmm
can testdisk see the stuff on your desktop?

ah yes, checkdisk is a good command.
bleeper
Rep:
?
I assume so.
bleeper
Rep:
?
OK my Hd works now. Kinda. But i can't see the files that were on my old desktop (250GB) and i don't wanna change which HD my pc boots from. I ran the checkdisk thing but is there anything i can do.
bleeper
Rep:
?
I have just realised that the PC shop seem to have done this:

Taken the files in my 250 Gb hd transferred them tot he 160GB hd, but cleared all of the **** inmy 160 GBhd because it seems that all the same stuff is in each HD barring a few music tracks which i thought i had lost in my last install.
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have just realised that the PC shop seem to have done this:

Taken the files in my 250 Gb hd transferred them tot he 160GB hd, but cleared all of the **** inmy 160 GBhd because it seems that all the same stuff is in each HD barring a few music tracks which i thought i had lost in my last install.
you could try recuva, see if it can find the files?
KX36
Badges: 0
Report 8 years ago
Hi, bleeper's friend here. Here's the situation as I understand it:
HDD1=250GB HDD2=160GB

HDD1's partition table somehow got corrupted, its an old drive on its last legs.

HDD1 was the primary partition, HDD2 was data. He took it to a high street pc repair shop and they installed a new copy of windows over hdd2, replacing its contents. from the hdd2 boot, i have guided him in recovering the partition with testdisk (useful tool, i used to have to manually calculate sectors and CHS and edit the partition table with ptedit32).
It seems he had a small boot/OEM/recovery partition and a main windows partition (primary NTFS) but it thought he had the recovery partition and an empty extended partition and 2 fat16 partitions at the end, so we've got access to that hard drive again...

unfortunatley it looks like in order to protect his data from a drive failure, he kept the my documents, desktop folder etc on HDD2 (probably moved at my advice years ago). the pc shop has overwritten this with a new windows partition. I'm not 100% sure it was on there though.

SO now the issue is what (preferably free) software is there that can recover deleted files from an NTFS partition even after windows has been installed on it (should be still some files if it was only a quick format):woo: :eek3: :yep:
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by KX36)
Hi, bleeper's friend here. Here's the situation as I understand it:
HDD1=250GB HDD2=160GB

HDD1's partition table somehow got corrupted, its an old drive on its last legs.

HDD1 was the primary partition, HDD2 was data. He took it to a high street pc repair shop and they installed a new copy of windows over hdd2, replacing its contents. from the hdd2 boot, i have guided him in recovering the partition with testdisk (useful tool, i used to have to manually calculate sectors and CHS and edit the partition table with ptedit32).
It seems he had a small boot/OEM/recovery partition and a main windows partition (primary NTFS) but it thought he had the recovery partition and an empty extended partition and 2 fat16 partitions at the end, so we've got access to that hard drive again...

unfortunatley it looks like in order to protect his data from a drive failure, he kept the my documents, desktop folder etc on HDD2 (probably moved at my advice years ago). the pc shop has overwritten this with a new windows partition. I'm not 100% sure it was on there though.

SO now the issue is what (preferably free) software is there that can recover deleted files from an NTFS partition even after windows has been installed on it (should be still some files if it was only a quick format):woo: :eek3: :yep:
look up, try recuva as i previously posted.

also, look on the wiki, there is a 'disaster, data recovery' guide
bleeper
Rep:
?
Tried it, i don't think i can recover anything because it has a lot of stuff overwritten on the 160GB HD.
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Tried it, i don't think i can recover anything because it has a lot of stuff overwritten on the 160GB HD.
you don't think?:rolleyes:

you either can or you can't, recuva will say which stuff you can recover once its scanned the harddrive for deleted files
bleeper
Rep:
?
It says 143837 files ignored and 446 found.
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It says 143837 files ignored and 446 found.
its up to you whether those 446 files found, are ones you want to recover or not.

also, the more you read and write (i.e. use) the hard drive, the less likely you can recover anything, as the chance of it being ovrwritten increases
bleeper
Rep:
?
I saw those files and they were things i could see or just recently deleted. So i think it's redudunt. Is it possible for me to do like a system restore to like two weeks ago?
alexsheppard11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I saw those files and they were things i could see or just recently deleted. So i think it's redudunt. Is it possible for me to do like a system restore to like two weeks ago?
quick answer, system restore is rubbish, and probably no.
long answer:
is system restore on, if so, it will tell you when you can restore to, but if it is to a point before the format, i doubt it will find a thing.
bleeper
Rep:
?
I think i'll accept my victories and my losses. I just wonder how can the PC guys be so stupid as to copy and overwrite the wrong HD.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

Yes (16)
32%
No - I got the required grades (27)
54%
No - I missed the required grades and didn't get in (7)
14%

Watched Threads