The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
no, do whatever you want! It's your lfie, make it worth it.
Reply 21
lovely_me
I despise the average person, who settles on one tiny piece of land with one other person to stew and rot in those conditions until their life ends. I want to be on the move, meeting new people and places.

I am not money motivated at all - I don't care about living in a massive house with all the gadgets under the sun.
I desperately want to travel. It is so important for me to see the world before I die yet when I told my family this they laughed and pointed out the reality of the situation, that I can't just afford to go travelling for the rest of my life.
If I had my choice:
I would go to university then travel round the world. However I want to always own an apartment in Paris I can go back to. I never want to be in the same place or have the same same relationship for 6 months. 3 months is pushing it.
I was wondering if I should move to America next year (North Carolina - my dad lives there) go to university there and then start my travelling. What should I do? Or do I have to lead the same tiresome lifestyle so many people live?

I think you should do what you want to do it seems to me that from the day that we are born we are trapped into a regimented life style
we go to school every day
then university everyday
then a job everyday
never moving out of our assigned area its crap it really is so i'd say go
travelling if thats what you want to do!
i guess i'm quite lucky because i've never really had that problem as i live between 2 countries soon to be three =]
you only live once and life is what you make it =] x
We all end up dead anyway. Whether you travel the world or not you'll still be in a box beside the guy who stewed in his 2 up 2 down with his wife. None of it really matters.
Reply 23
SouthernFreerider
techincally yes, but vector calc isn't fun.

It's not too bad!
Same lecturer as last year d'you know?
Reply 24
Hi

You sound exactly how I feel mate. I think it's good you've realised early, some of us just go to a different drummer if you know what I mean. The rat race and **** if just a game created by man in essence, there's nothing natural about it, so for it to be the norm is quite startling. The fact that people work their ass off and then spend like 12 grand on a new car is beyond me, and the same goes for houses and stuff, renting is the way forward!

I'd recommend reading "into the wild". It does put that sort of life in perspective and is quite illuminating.

I do think however that having lots of relationships would be great but you still have to try and create friendships and just to a deeper level, otherwise you may feel a bit lonely.
lovely_me
I desperately want to travel. It is so important for me to see the world before I die yet when I told my family this they laughed and pointed out the reality of the situation, that I can't just afford to go travelling for the rest of my life.

Not true. I know plenty of people who've just got on a plane and found work when theyve got there. It takes alot of balls but its possible. Just being a native english speaker is a very valuable skill in most parts of the world. And anybody can do things like fruit picking, child care, manual labour etc.

Ive been interrailing around europe and you can get by on hardly any money at all if you try hard. I even grew to quite like sleeping in a tent every night and surviving on a diet of bread and 1euro wine :moon:

lovely_me
If I had my choice:
I would go to university then travel round the world. However I want to always own an apartment in Paris I can go back to. I never want to be in the same place or have the same same relationship for 6 months. 3 months is pushing it.

I dont think that would work. You wouldnt be able to afford to pay rent on an apartment you dont live in.

If you want to do it you have to accept that there are big drawbacks. Such as not having somewhere familiar to come home to and not having a stable group of friends. Personally I couldnt deal with it long-term.

Have you thought about studying English/journalism at uni and becoming a travel writter? that might suit you.
Reply 26
go for it..!
lovely_me
I despise the average person, who settles on one tiny piece of land with one other person to stew and rot in those conditions until their life ends. I want to be on the move, meeting new people and places.

I am not money motivated at all - I don't care about living in a massive house with all the gadgets under the sun.
If I had my choice:
I was wondering if I should move to America next year (North Carolina - my dad lives there) go to university there and then start my travelling. What should I do? Or do I have to lead the same tiresome lifestyle so many people live?

You're dreaming. You would severely struggle to do that unless you're either a sibling of Richard Branson or a lottery winner.

Just rent Into the Wild and live your dreams through that. lol.
Reply 28
DuffMan987
Hi

You sound exactly how I feel mate. I think it's good you've realised early, some of us just go to a different drummer if you know what I mean. The rat race and **** if just a game created by man in essence, there's nothing natural about it, so for it to be the norm is quite startling. The fact that people work their ass off and then spend like 12 grand on a new car is beyond me, and the same goes for houses and stuff, renting is the way forward!

I'd recommend reading "into the wild". It does put that sort of life in perspective and is quite illuminating.

I do think however that having lots of relationships would be great but you still have to try and create friendships and just to a deeper level, otherwise you may feel a bit lonely.

who writes this into the wild book? thnx
Sounds like a good idea, but the kind of thing you can only do when you're young after having gotten a stable job and saved up. But I love the spontaneity of it-not sure if it'd be as comforting when you're older. Watch the George Clooney film Up In The Air and you'll see what I mean.
I have always thought that sometimes my friends like to stick to the mundane and do the same old thing which I find boring-sometimes they're not up for taking chances or doing something wild, but hey thats people for you.
Reply 30
Microlite. Buy one.
Reply 31
lovely_me

If I had my choice:

Unless you were born into wealth this is unlikely
Sounds like a good idea, but the kind of thing you can only do when you're young after having gotten a stable job and saved up. But I love the spontaneity of it-not sure if it'd be as comforting when you're older. Watch the George Clooney film Up In The Air and you'll see what I mean.
I have always thought that sometimes my friends like to stick to the mundane and do the same old thing which I find boring-sometimes they're not up for taking chances or doing something wild, but hey thats people for you.
Hmmmm, I really want to go travelling, so let me spend $90,000 on 3 years college tuition in the States, rather than about £10,000 in the UK.

Great idea! With my massive debts (massively hiked up because I chose to live in the USA) I can really afford to go travelling now! Yayyy. :excited:

Also, what a great idea it is to move to the USA when I really want an apartment in Paris. It's not like London is only a 2/3 hour train ride away from central Paris and the USA is across the Atlantic ocean or anything.

Genius!
lovely_me
What should I do? Or do I have to lead the same tiresome lifestyle so many people live?

I'm ashamed of myself. I obviously underestimate the power of TSR forum.
OP is asking us what to do with his life - it's always been a dream of mine to decide about somebody's future but I'm afraid it would oblige me to accept some kind of responsibility for his actions, and that's why OP - it's your life and your decisions. But if you're unhappy with a normal, boring life, you don't have to live a boring life :wink:
Reply 35
Yeah we should all do what we want... no need to criticise those that DO want a normal, 'boring' life, though :smile:
Reply 36
aem1990
who writes this into the wild book? thnx

Jon Krakauer

There's a film of it too but I'd probably recommend reading it first.
Reply 37
DuffMan987
Jon Krakauer

There's a film of it too but I'd probably recommend reading it first.

thank you =]
lovely_me

If I had my choice:

The lifestyle you describe here sounds pretty much the same as most students before they enter University - so don't assume you're so unique. Everyone wants to travel and own property in lovely cities (which actually speaks a motivation for the money you say you don't want), and you're not the only person to think they're somehow more alive because they have contempt for routine.

I despise people who think everyone else is a boring idiot.
lovely_me

If I had my choice:

Have you read 'Vagabonding' by Rolf Potts? He talks about how to get that exact lifestyle.

That's exactly what I'd like to do too - travel round the world for the rest of my life. Trouble is, I see no way of being able to do this other than by funding it by writing. All I can do really is write and see where it gets me (I really enjoy writing anyway) - but at the same time, I need to have another job to keep myself afloat. I'd also like a house or flat somewhere to have as a 'base' - somewhere to live when I come back to the UK for a certain amount of time each year/couple of years, and keep all my books and things I'd pick up whilst travelling.

I've got my degree, and have been round the world once for nine months, after working for two years. All I want to do is do it again, and again and again and again... I would get your degree first, so that you have something to fall back on if your travelling plans don't work out.

Latest