Still looking for my first job after 2 years :( Watch

bananabrain
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Try doing volunteering work in a charity shop- admittedly it won't pay, but will boost your CV a lot (it's what got me my part time job for definite).
ladyxbird
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Always hand in with your C.V. a stellar covering letter that explains why you want the job and why you would be perfect for the role and go and hand it in in person if at all possible.

I used to have the same problem as you and these things seemed to work for me!

Above all you have to remember to stand out from the millions of other C.V.'s that managers have to look at.
Leighthesim
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
try applying for supermarkets on the internet (i got my first job, and the first i have applied to, in waitrose through appling on line)
romeosbitch
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
As has been said, Covering letters are the way forward. I'm continuously doing "looking for a job homework" and the best advice is definitely to do a CV specific for each job that you apply for and a covering letter stating not only what you're good at but why the things you're good at would be useful at their company.
I recently got rejected from a job not because I wasn't qualified but because I was so enthusiastic about my last job that they were worried that I'd find their job boring. But my specific cv and covering letter at least got me an interview.

You just have to continuously update your cv, not just adding new skills or experience but thinking how you can express the same information in different and better ways.

On top of that, if you're struggling for experience, volunteer and/or get a cleaning job. Once you've had one job you can demonstrate that you're employable, have worked in a team etc and that'll help you on your way.
omfgski
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
McDonaaaaalds! They seem to have quite an open attitude to younger people so it might be worth a try.
ABeautifulMind
Badges: 6
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Ah.Cheesecake.)
I have been looking for a job since I was 16, handing out CV's every month at least, applying online (jobsite and that), sending in application forms etc and all I've had is 2 interviews and about 5 rejection letters, and it feels like I've applied to thousands of jobs!! Thing is now that all of my mates are 18 and have all got part time jobs themselves (none of who can get me a job where they work) then they all want to go out drinking and go places that cost money that I just don't have, which has actually left me feeling a bit out of it. I've got quite a few people to check over my CV, and they all say that it is good and can't believe that I haven't got a job yet.

I'd appreciate any advice, tips, links or cheering up :o:
2 interviews in 2 years? Either you have a poor CV or have not been applying constantly for jobs. Set yourself a target of 2 applications a day, make sure they are realistic jobs that you are suitable for, and that you have personalised your CV/ application for the specific job so that you stand out from the other thousands of applications for the one position. Try doing some volunteer work to add to your CV or try gaining a couple of extra skills that make you more employable (first aid etc). Do an interview skills workshop or even just confidence building. There are lots of things you can do and if you try these things plus be consistantly applying for jobs without breaks, you are bound to at least be getting to interview stage more often. Remember, a good covering letter also goes a long way to personalising your application.

Good luck!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (100)
40.32%
No - but I will (12)
4.84%
No - I don't want to (16)
6.45%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (120)
48.39%

Watched Threads