True multiculturalism is a failed experiment. Discuss. Watch

YL_LDN
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by Bluelight)
I disagree with relativism, at least in regard to the law, and that we should all be united under one common law. In regard to the OP are you suggesting that anyone non-white must agree that white people are the most attractive in Britain for the sake of cultural cohesion?

Enough of the rhubarb. It's plain and obvious to see that multiculturalism is akin to Communism, an ideal and easily corruptible.

No, i think the situation is that white people will always look out and stick with their own first and foremost like any other race, i'm not particularly annoyed at this because its only natural. However, some are way worse than others for being open, theres no catch all depiction of the views of a white person. But if you're unlucky like me and live in a 99% white working class and farming area up north then you'd realise **** does hit the fan and you do get ostricized.

What my personal view is that non white people have to work a lot harder to assimilate into British culture (lets be honest, if like me you grew up in a 99% white area and all your friends are white, u look bloody out of place), this means their own cultures will have to accomodate for the British way of life to fit in which is the root cause of so much racial tension.

And yes, for the sake of social cohesion we do have to let the white people dominate in the political arena etc (because deep down they don't want the coloured folk to be higher even though all the colour folk want is cohesion ) because believe it or not Britain underneath her skin is not as forgiving as she looks. But tbh, that can be said for class, gender etc too, basically if you're a white middle class man its a lot easier for everything really. The guy i quoted on my op is what i perceive a very sizeable amount of white men to feel inside deep down, because as i guy i know that we are very egocentric and they need that to feel good about themselves. All in all, just gotta accept it, i will say that i do feel a lot more able to chill with other minorities though so its not all bad.
LaughingBro
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sounds good on paper, not too good in reality.
YL_LDN
Rep:
?
(Original post by LaughingBro)
Sounds good on paper, not too good in reality.

lei ho ma hong kong jai? (parents are from there, the fatherland yah) Your taste in music sucks lol.
LaughingBro
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
^ haha! nay ho blad! my parents are from the Guangdong province actually. my music taste rules!
A Cat
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
experiment? economic policy, surely
YL_LDN
Rep:
?
(Original post by LaughingBro)
^ haha! nay ho blad! my parents are from the Guangdong province actually. my music taste rules!

Cool, Shenzhens not a bad site at all these days man, went 2 summers ago.

Agree with the location: Iraq thing. But no doubt the people wil remember.
Joluk
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Its a failed experiment yes, eventually minorities and the majority will have to integrate together. Trying to live with one part of town 100% black, another 100% asian, and another 100 % white is a recipe for disaster.
Bluelight
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by YL_LDN)
Enough of the rhubarb. It's plain and obvious to see that multiculturalism is akin to Communism, an ideal and easily corruptible.

No, i think the situation is that white people will always look out and stick with their own first and foremost like any other race, i'm not particularly annoyed at this because its only natural. However, some are way worse than others for being open, theres no catch all depiction of the views of a white person. But if you're unlucky like me and live in a 99% white working class and farming area up north then you'd realise **** does hit the fan and you do get ostricized.

What my personal view is that non white people have to work a lot harder to assimilate into British culture (lets be honest, if like me you grew up in a 99% white area and all your friends are white, u look bloody out of place), this means their own cultures will have to accomodate for the British way of life to fit in which is the root cause of so much racial tension.

And yes, for the sake of social cohesion we do have to let the white people dominate in the political arena etc (because deep down they don't want the coloured folk to be higher even though all the colour folk want is cohesion ) because believe it or not Britain underneath her skin is not as forgiving as she looks. But tbh, that can be said for class, gender etc too, basically if you're a white middle class man its a lot easier for everything really. The guy i quoted on my op is what i perceive a very sizeable amount of white men to feel inside deep down, because as i guy i know that we are very egocentric and they need that to feel good about themselves. All in all, just gotta accept it, i will say that i do feel a lot more able to chill with other minorities though so its not all bad.
I think you're looking at it all the wrong way. For example 50% of all "black" children have a white parent in Britain today, according to Jack Straw. This is set against the backdrop of what a mere 40 years since the American Civil Rights movement, and a media that promotes white beauty, leads me to think it can't be all that "natural" to stick to your own. Imo white people in Britain are the most likely to date outside of their race and have non- white friends.

I also grew up in a 99% white area with all white friends, and I don't feel the need to assimilate or fit in, and I certainly don't feel any inferiority aesthetically or otherwise, if anything Im probably the most confident of my group of friends and call the shots.

TSR is about as representative of the world as Skins is of youth culture, ie: not at all. The type of people internet forums attract unfortunately seems to be bigots who shout their mouthes off, the decent people of the world don't need to come on the internet to shout their mouthes off.
LaughingBro
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Cool, Shenzhens not a bad site at all these days man, went 2 summers ago. Agree with the location: Iraq thing. But no doubt the people wil remember.
Shenzhen sucks compared to HK! Went there 3 summers ago. invading Iraq for oil is just appalling!
YL_LDN
Rep:
?
I think you're looking at it all the wrong way. For example 50% of all "black" children have a white parent in Britain today, according to Jack Straw. This is set against the backdrop of what a mere 40 years since the American Civil Rights movement, and a media that promotes white beauty, leads me to think it can't be all that "natural" to stick to your own. Imo white people in Britain are the most likely to date outside of their race and have non- white friends.

I also grew up in a 99% white area with all white friends, and I don't feel the need to assimilate or fit in, and I certainly don't feel any inferiority aesthetically or otherwise, if anything Im probably the most confident of my group of friends and call the shots.

TSR is about as representative of the world as Skins is of youth culture, ie: not at all. The type of people internet forums attract unfortunately seems to be bigots who shout their mouthes off, the decent people of the world don't need to come on the internet to shout their mouthes off.
Fine. I stand by my 'bigotted' ways then. And black people have it a lot easier, try being Muslim or whatever. White guilt is there by and large and therefore black people are glorified and given free passes. You can close your eyes and pretend it isn't there, but its still there.
Moe Lester
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
What the hell is this thread on about?
LaughingBro
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just go to HK and you just see Caucasians/Europeans (expats not the tourist) hanging together! So multicultural they are!
Bluelight
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Fine. I stand by my 'bigotted' ways then. And black people have it a lot easier, try being Muslim or whatever. White guilt is there by and large and therefore black people are glorified and given free passes. You can close your eyes and pretend it isn't there, but its still there.
I wasn't calling you a bigot, I meant whoever said what was said in the original post. It is there im not denying it, but it's not as widespread as you think, and you need to get over it. Racism isn't nice but people who are racist are usually ugly and, are always insecure and use race as a means of positive projection to make up for their personal inadequacies, so they fail in virtue of being racist, joke is on them.
LysFromParis
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I disagree with relativism, at least in regard to the law, and that we should all be united under one common law. In regard to the OP are you suggesting that anyone non-white must agree that white people are the most attractive in Britain for the sake of cultural cohesion?
Hell no. I don't know what how you look fit in the subject. I don't know what that kind of discussion which is a serious subject turn into something about getting girls .

But to come back to what I wanted to say, multiculturalism accept that there is such things as ethnicity and race and that preval above other things. Which is I think wrong. You take a country as France which is here juged as really racist, but in fact you have there the highest absolute number of inter-ethnical marriage and in the same time multiculturalism is rejected by a large amount of the population even people not from the "majority".

And to be honnest I don't find that white girls are the most attractive.
YL_LDN
Rep:
?
(Original post by LysFromParis)
Hell no. I don't know what how you look fit in the subject. I don't know what that kind of discussion which is a serious subject turn into something about getting girls .

But to come back to what I wanted to say, multiculturalism accept that there is such things as ethnicity and race and that preval above other things. Which is I think wrong. You take a country as France which is here juged as really racist, but in fact you have there the highest absolute number of inter-ethnical marriage and in the same time multiculturalism is rejected by a large amount of the population even people not from the "majority".

I'd rep you but i can't be arsed lol, with France i feel there is much less of a forced cohesion. With the French people i know we can openly joke about race and there is less of a pretence, if they are the french ********* then they are a lot more openly racist about it which is good.
I think what i like about France is that it emphasises 'I am French' and being French (which will make people accepted into the culture a lot easier obviously) rather than, as you said focussing on race and different cultures so much above everything. Instead of what the culture of this country does, which is just focus on the races of minorities, we should look towards having a collective identity rather of Britishness because we don't define ourselves as British enough in this country, everything regarding race is hushed and pushed under the carpet.

For example, just look at this video and the emphasis on specifically a 'black' PM, why does a minority PM have to be black when there are so many different races? Why shouldn't it be more emphasised that the person with the most merit gets the job of PM? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tM1XrVVVBAk

Really, you have given the best answer to this thread so far.
Bluelight
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by LysFromParis)

Well I agree with you in that ethnicity and race shouldn't prevail above national identity. I mentioned hierarchical looks because that was why the OP thought that multiculturalism didnt work for some bizzare reason.
YL_LDN
Rep:
?
Well I agree with you in that ethnicity and race shouldn't prevail above national identity. I mentioned hierarchical looks because that was why the OP thought that multiculturalism didnt work for some bizzare reason.
No its just part of the reason why multiculturalism doesn't work. Of course looks are hierarchial based on race. But also, the career ladder is heavily race based and a hell of a lot of other things.
Bluelight
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No its just part of the reason why multiculturalism doesn't work. Of course looks are hierarchial based on race. But also, the career ladder is heavily race based and a hell of a lot of other things.
How is it part of the reason why multiculturalism doesn't work when the number of inter-racial couples is ever on the increase? Also why are you so concerned with what other people deem attractive. Maybe some careers are heavily based on race, but thats more to do with synonomy with social connectivity, it doesnt matter what colour you are if you aren't the right class/connected.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (307)
37.44%
No - but I will (63)
7.68%
No - I don't want to (61)
7.44%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (389)
47.44%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise