The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
fail@maths
LBS candidates won't be entering at an Analyst level. Since you need like 2-3 years experience to even a masters there.

LBS MiM generally enter at analyst level as its a non experience masters.
Reply 21
Parrotman
LBS MiM generally enter at analyst level as its a non experience masters.

Dont know about MiM but LBS Msc Finance requires work experience so depending on that and your negotiation skills, you could potentially be considered for an associate position. You dont need an MBA to do that (this is particularly true in Europe). There are plenty of people who lateral to IB after few years of either consulting or industry experience.
Whether or not you go to university x will largely influence your interview prospects.
From then on in, it's down to you as a human being.

The 'quality' of candidates from the top six is relatively homogeneous. I'd be surprised if people from the LSE weren't getting interviews - but beyond that it's down to the individual.
Reply 23
Zweihander
LSE as an academic institution - unrivalled

v-zero

Within the world of London based Front-Office Investment Banking recruitment - hardly...
Reply 25
BetterThanHeaven
Within the world of London based Front-Office Investment Banking recruitment - hardly...

Not as an academic institution.
LSE isn't losing its edge. It is about the people, not the school. Based on what I know, 99%+ of all LSE students get interviews at top companies. The fact that many of them fail these interviews because of general inaptitude and linguistic problems isn't LSE's fault.
Reply 27
the time where you were getting interviews just because you went to LSE (or some other prestigious uni) is long long gone. You have to do much more now to bag just an interview: sports, president/officer of so and so society, maybe a little bit of volunteering or travelling, insight programmes with so and so bank, etc. The bad thing about all of this is that people tend to do them (volunteering,sports, leadership positions) for the sake of getting an interview/offer rather than because they are truly passionate about them. Have met so many people who apply for leadership positions in societies not because they want to lead or organise events but because it will look good on their cv. Similar stuff with volunteering-met one guy from a target uni who told me he's going to cambodia to build a local school-the main reason he invoked is that his CV will be "complete" afterwards, it will help him get interviews and will make him appear well-rounded for business school admission (in a few years time). I guess thats what increased job competition does to you-makes you more pragmatic and less of an idealist. But still, its amazing what people would do nowadays for a freakin interview.
Reply 28
andy87
the time where you were getting interviews just because you went to LSE (or some other prestigious uni)

Almost all LSE applicants got GS S&T first round interviews this year.
speedy_s
Almost all LSE applicants got GS S&T first round interviews this year.

Yep. Also I only know one person who didn’t get an interview and having seen his CV this wasn't surprising.

I think the key is, LSE as an institution is still what it was. It will get you interviews. The quality of students may be falling somewhat though and that is why several LSE students have been unsuccessful this year. Two quick examples, I know someone who interviewed virtually everywhere and didn’t get a single offer. I also know someone who has a very unimpressive CV, basically good grades and no work experience or EC and he managed to get three interviews. I think if this student applied with Warwick on his CV he may have struggled to get these.
Reply 30
Webstersss
It is much harder to differentiate applicants these days, and LSE chooses to emphasize alot on personal statements; the result of that, have a look yourself on the LSE forum, a good proportion of their current students are trembling before their exams.

Perhaps because the teaching is nonexistent and exams unpredictable at best.
Reply 31
andy87
the time where you were getting interviews just because you went to LSE (or some other prestigious uni) is long long gone. You have to do much more now to bag just an interview: sports, president/officer of so and so society, maybe a little bit of volunteering or travelling, insight programmes with so and so bank, etc. The bad thing about all of this is that people tend to do them (volunteering,sports, leadership positions) for the sake of getting an interview/offer rather than because they are truly passionate about them. Have met so many people who apply for leadership positions in societies not because they want to lead or organise events but because it will look good on their cv. Similar stuff with volunteering-met one guy from a target uni who told me he's going to cambodia to build a local school-the main reason he invoked is that his CV will be "complete" afterwards, it will help him get interviews and will make him appear well-rounded for business school admission (in a few years time). I guess thats what increased job competition does to you-makes you more pragmatic and less of an idealist. But still, its amazing what people would do nowadays for a freakin interview.

If I saw somone's CV and it stated that they spent a summer building schools in Cambodia I would bin it...seriously. Most people who do this kind of crap are quite well off and can afford to fund the trip (why not just donate the ****** money) and look at it as a gap year type experience. It is used to masterbate the ego.
Reply 32
awm55
If I saw somone's CV and it stated that they spent a summer building schools in Cambodia I would bin it...seriously. Most people who do this kind of crap are quite well off and can afford to fund the trip (why not just donate the ****** money) and look at it as a gap year type experience. It is used to masterbate the ego.

Agreed

These people pay a company £4k to do this ****

When the value added to the people of cambodia is more like -£500 for having to look at a fat spotty wannabe banker.
Lse???
Probably because it's a bad batch of students, most likely suffering from "my uni is so awesome i don't have to do anything other than be here to get an interview" syndrome. They may have very poor EC's or no work experience, and shown little other interest in the markets other than joining the trading society..
Reply 35
fail@maths
LBS candidates won't be entering at an Analyst level. Since you need like 2-3 years experience to even a masters there.

The MIM doesnt require work experience
Reply 36
I can't stand smug little ********* who's so proud they went to LSE when they took a degree in crap (Gender Studies, Cross Cultural Baboon Studies bla bla bla bla).
MonsterMash
Probably because it's a bad batch of students, most likely suffering from "my uni is so awesome i don't have to do anything other than be here to get an interview" syndrome. They may have very poor EC's or no work experience, and shown little other interest in the markets other than joining the trading society..

I would think because everyone at LSE is supposedly obsessed with banking and will do anything to add another notch to their CV, that it would be very difficult to get a board position in a society.
awm55

Well you don't make the interview decisions so your opinion is moot :rolleyes:
Reply 39
manchild007
Well you don't make the interview decisions so your opinion is moot :rolleyes:

No, but I can see it for what it really is

Latest

Trending

Trending