Can a relationship survive without sex? Watch

Dumdedoobie
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by I<3LAMP)
If both of you agreed to not have sex then yeah its of course possible. However your partner and you have different desires and that may split you up.

Your partner probably will feel that your lack of libido will reflect upon his efforts as a lover and that may bring further insecurity issues.

I think you need to address why you have gone off it and then judge if you can either rekindle that phsyical love or find a partner who shares your views. I've gone off sex for months before just to bounce back and desire it pretty all the time.

It may just be a phase.
Well said. :yes:
Anonymous #3
Report 8 years ago
I think jjarvis has given some very good insight/advice :p:

Basically, it is a problem, because your fiance obviously would like to have sex, an you don't feel like it, hence --> conflict.

I think, whilst it would be pertinent for him to be patient and understanding, the position of "not wanting sex" is not superior to the position of "wanting sex" when in a relationship.

It is your right to refuse sex, but not your right to say that your partner must be happy about it. And he's perfectly justified in feeling unhappy about it, and trying to talk to you about it.

IMO, if you were to completely ignore his needs, that would make you selfish. You can't help it you don't feel like sex, but you can choose whether or not you're gonna do anything about it. IMO, if your bf is unhappy then you should be trying to do something about it.
What I'm saying is, don't just lie down and take it when you don't want to have sex, that would be kind of awful :p: I'm just saying, try and work out why you don't want to have sex, communicate with your partner, and try to address the problem.

I've had periods where I haven't felt like sex. But I have done something about it. It's really really tempting, to just think "oh I'll wait for this to pass" or think "this is embarassing" and just abstain with no explanation to your bf.
But this results in hurt and confusion for the other person. They feel helpless and unappreciated, unsexy, undesirable etc. All that is besides actually missing having sex with you! I know, because I've also been in the position of being the one who is being denied sex.

You have to talk about it, get to the root of the problem, and address it, or at the very least reassure your partner. When I didn't feel like sex, I found the best thing was jut to build it up. I kinda felt like all we did was have sex, and it was just really routine as well - and it really put me off! So, I said to my boyfriend, can we do things differently? Can we try and just you know, watch a movie, can we do something romantic, can we build up slowly, can we try more foreplay? I feel like all we do is just have sex, and I don't always feel like having sex, I don't feel happy.

All it was is that we had gotten a little bit too used to each other, and we addressed it and moved on. And sex got a lot better, and as soon as I felt it wasn't expected of me, I started to want it again.

Anyway, I don't know what your reasons are, but those are my thoughts on the issue.
xoxAngel_Kxox
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
It can survive as long as both of you don't mind you're not having it. If one of you misses it then it will cause friction, arguments, and then you might break up because of it.
noaksey
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd hate to have a relationship without sex...so no!

I mean, it's the best part of the relationship, second to loving someone.
stargirl63
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
He would, naturally be questioning why you have suddenly gone off sex, you need to figure out why, and tell him truthfully, if it's a phase or whatever. He should be understanding, and wait, but if the wait is quite a while, then I think he would start to question the relationship. It's not that sex is a big part of the relationship, but it is a big deal if your partner just decides not to do it anymore, with no explaination. He will think he has done something wrong, or you don't find him attractive or something. Figure things out for yourself, and hopefully it will all fall into place.
Anonymous #4
Report 8 years ago
yes it does and my relationshipwith my bf just proved it.
anonymous cos some friends are here
digitalfever
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yes, if you’re not against the other party getting their rocks off somewhere else.
stinky--pete
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
yes but only if both sides feel the same. if he wants it you won't do it then he could well go elsewhere
Stace-is-Ace
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have Christian friends who obviously don't have sex. It's usually the case where there never has been sex in the relationship however so neither of them would know what they're missing. If you have been sleeping with your boyfriend and have no decided you no longer want to, there must be some kind of underlying reason - whether it's connected to your attitude to him or your issues with the idea of sex itself.
neillya1
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No.

I was in an LDR, and found out just yesterday my (ex) boyfriend has had sex with 6 other guys in the 6 months we were together.... pretty conclusive proof I guess.
alijimi
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by I<3LAMP)
I've gone off sex for months before...
:lolwut: unbelievable!!
bex_1_2_1
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Some can, but its all down to the individual. I don't think it'd work for me though.
Lamptastic
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by alijimi)
:lolwut: unbelievable!!
I think it was 2 months and I was stressed out. The relief after that was immense though
Anonymous #5
Report 8 years ago
No way is sex vital for a relationship to survive, and its pretty ridiculous to think so. If the person you are with believes that sex is the only way for your relationship to survive, they are clearly not the right person for you. If its a relationship worth having, you will have other common interests that you can do together, not just sex!
osbaldwick
Report 8 years ago
No. Sex is part of a relationship which is built on compatibility. If one half does and one half doesn't then you don't have compatibility. Chances are the one that does want/need sex will look for it elsewhere in time.
fourdigit
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
By the way...i work. so how can i be using him just for financial support??? plus, thanks, im not that type of girl! im madly deeply in love with him and we've been engaged since february and are looking for a place to move in together.
Sorry, my previous post wasn't directly personally aimed at you, just those specific girls who do that. I on other hand do not know your motive or reasoning on the relationship without sex, so i couldn't possibly point a finger like that at you and say your that. So yeah, i apologise.

Probably reason why i stated such a thing like that is, this girl had happened to did this to my older brother and i so happened to overheard her conversation over the phone to her friend.
nathan2010
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
No.
Melting Sugar.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by neillya1)
No.

I was in an LDR, and found out just yesterday my (ex) boyfriend has had sex with 6 other guys in the 6 months we were together.... pretty conclusive proof I guess.
****!

:hugs:
mlsbbe
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(1) Yes, sex and closeness are related.
(2) No, a relationship cannot survive without sex.
Anonymous #6
Report 8 years ago
are you on the injection by any chance?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (33)
16.67%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (84)
42.42%
Nope, not that interesting (81)
40.91%

Watched Threads