Turn on thread page Beta

What are the most annoying stereotypes about YOUR COUNTRY? watch

ReputationRep:
    That we're all England-hating-pissed to our eyeballs fake Irish.

Oh and violent.

OR

England loving, Irish hating, union jack flying and violent.

And we love the craic. I hate that damn word. Feck off craic!

ReputationRep:
    We're all drug addicts, or do drugs all the time.
    We wear clogs (some people seriously still think this).
    Although I have to say both of those are pretty entertaining too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    So not the sheep shagging then...
    I'm merely referring the the UK as a whole, since it is my country

ReputationRep:
    I don't think that being posh and speaking with recieved pronounciation have to go hand in hand though. I speak properly yet am from a low enough income family to have gotten full EMA and full maintenence grants for uni.

I do of course get accused of being posh by all the northern monkeys at uni :rolleyes:

There is nothing "proper" about speaking RP, anymore than it would be proper for a geordie to affect a welsh accent. Its the accent of the London-Oxford-Cambridge triangle that became prominent as the language of the court severeal hundred years ago.

The queen herself (along with the Royal Family) doesn't actually speak RP.

For people from other parts of the country, speaking RP was a fad that came along with that peculiarly Victorian sense of pretention and snobbery, and is now dying out somewhat. Recent research shows that broad regional accents are actually getting stronger again than they have been for a few hundred years.

I say this, but I virtually speak RP myself, despite coming from nowhere near the LOC triangle. Shameful.

ReputationRep:
    Canadian Stereotypes-
    We live in igloos
    We are lumberjacks
    We always say 'eh'
    We have beavers for pets
    We have snow all year round and go skiing in July
    We have a President
    We don't have electricity.

ReputationRep:
    Some people think that everyone from Scotland has red hair, wear kilts everyday, loves haggis and is drunk 24/7.

ReputationRep:
    We're supposed to be cowards when France has been one of the most at war countries in the world for a couple millenias and have won like 3/4 of the wars and battles the Francs and the French have fought.. Francs versus Caesar, Napoleon versus the whole Europe, etc.
    I don't know any other bad stereotype about the French besides that one though, it seems it's the only one (but it compensates by being quite often refered to...)

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Wales. Figure the rest out for yourself.

ReputationRep:
    So not the sheep shagging then...
    Dude, I'm from Wales and I prefer goats, if you must know.

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but sometimes I feel that the Scottish accent is often just generalised to be the lovely glaswegian/ned accent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Liam123)
    Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but sometimes I feel that the Scottish accent is often just generalised to be the lovely glaswegian/ned accent.
    I :love: the Glaswegian accent.

ReputationRep:
    We really don't stress on the Ds all that much when we talk.

Pakistani.

ReputationRep:
    Possibly that we're all anti-Semitic, Muslim terrorist scum who will blow up your public transport system if we're not watched.

ReputationRep:
    That we are all patriotic numpties who believe the empire should be reinitiated. That we believe in our government to do the right thing (not surprising since we've only once come close to anything resembling social revolution, cheers Wat Tyler). Oh and tea drinking... I swear people drink tea just to meet the stereotype so I guess it's not entirely inaccurate O.o

ReputationRep:
    Meh... I got some.

"Omg.... do you like... know the queen" - NO!... I don't.. Do you know Obama??
    "I bet you love tea don't ya" - NO! I don't
    "Do you live in London" - Ok I do but still...

I wish that we could rent out Green Street or even Kidulthood to all the dumbasses over the water... England is more like that than anything.

ReputationRep:
    Nigeria- that we're all scammers (who sometimes take up terrorism in our spare time), and that we live in a jungle without paved roads and proper houses. oh and a friend once told me i must see animals when driving on the road. i was like birds? she was like, no, monkeys.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    All Irish people are supposed to be red headed leprechaun farmers who eat potatoes all day long :P
    ...whilst being in a permanent state of intoxication.

ReputationRep:
    The Italians:
    we only eat pasta/pizza.
    we always talk as loud as is humanely possible,
    we're all related to the mafia,
    we all supported Hitler.
    Only the second is true withoin my experience!
    lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by roxy potter)
    All Irish people are supposed to be red headed leprechaun farmers who eat potatoes all day long :P
    Thiss. You forgot drunk though!

ReputationRep:
    Dunno really, no one rips on the Indians

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 22, 2010
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.