How do you revise History? Watch

Zosie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I start off by writing notes from the text book. I then use those notes to do something different with them, depending what it is. For example, I'm currently doing the collapse of Yugoslavia, so I've got a map of the countries and am writing the notes that relate to each country in it.

I also do timelines, power points etc. I try to make it as visual as possible, to make it less boring to create and to make it easier to remember.

Once I've done that, I try answering exam practices.
CharlotteCoster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
i make notes from my notes throughout the year, then make a timeline and revision cards with events. and then i do past papers and practice timed essays. hope this is vaguely helpful
Kimberley*xo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
For the period study part I read over it to memorise dates, treaties etc.
And what I've done for Germany 1870-1990 is like a mindmap for each period, so like;
Bismarck's Germany and then said what the Teritorial issues were, Economic, Military and Political, and so on for Wilhelm, Weimar Republic etc.

Also practice doing the essay questions.

For the in-depth part which is Charles I/Cromwell for me I divide it into sections and then do bullet points for each section with the main events. Also read over it and practice exam questions
Big V
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just read, memorise and make notes.
Concerning the dates: I just constantly repeat them to myself in my head while doing mundane things like brushing my teeth, or just before going to bed and that kind of stuff!
Then you should apply your knowledge to an exam style question under examination style conditions. And hopefully your teacher will agree to mark it for you and give feedback on it!
Good luck!
Aemiliana
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'm making flashcards at the moment and tomorrow I'm doing as many past papers as I physically can and asking my teacher to mark them. I'll be popular :rolleyes:

Of course, I don't know if it'll work, I only have this exam season to sit the entire A level. :erm:
Aj12
  • Political Ambassador
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Past papers are not to helpful seeing as the spec changed and there is only one paper but i just read through the textbook type out notes then read through it and highlight stuff, like dates and key people.
lastplace
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I write notes, rewrite notes, highlight key points, rewrite notes etc etc
Aemiliana
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Aj12)
Past papers are not to helpful seeing as the spec changed and there is only one paper but i just read through the textbook type out notes then read through it and highlight stuff, like dates and key people.
Just adapt the questions/ask your teacher to do so. Without past papers, it's harder to practise essay technique and see roughly what grade you can expect.
Flunking
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I go through the main topics and make notes varying in detail depending on the current knowledge I have on that topic. I find that forcing myself to be interested in what I'm learning helps too.
unamed
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I read my notes like a story. I like stories, so it stays in my mind. For exam practice - I practice the questions and then bombard my teachers with the practice q's so they can mark them.
number11
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
with great difficulty but I make powerpoint slides with the events in chronological order and some specific evidence for each point. Then you can just flick through it every night and hopefully it'll go in in the end. Also ask your teacher for some possible exam questions or past paper questions and plan the essay (you don't have to write it then). This will hopefully help me though I can't guarentee it
jo62
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I lend my friends' time machine and I travel back in time.
letthegoodtimesroll
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by mjsell)
i find history is just the more hours you put in, the better. I personally write out a checklist of the topics with bullet points of the main events/questions, then build from there.

If i go through a topic and can't remember bits then i go more in depth.

But then just answer exam questions and you will find the things that you arent 100% on.

This
I use mnemonics to remember each section, then when i get in the exam write them down straight away
Delight :)
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
So happy this someone created this, as I was about to do it..
Basically starting my History revision today(my exams on Wednesday OCR if anyone wants to revise with me), planning on reading text books and writing notes tonight, just finished Government and Politics for Friday
Basically when I get the knowledge of events I will answer questions and test myself
Good luck guys
cacao_
Report 8 years ago
Timelines! It's easier for me to memorise something when it's in chronological order.
Kimberley*xo
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I did a powerpoint for my in-depth study part of history, basically took the text book and went through the first chapter, taking all the seperate heading and sumarising the main points. It will help me because I'm resitting last years which is on the same thing
I found it good going through looking for the main points because it made me read the text book, but now I don't have to constantly look at the textbook because I can just have the important bits in front on me. Going to do it for the rest of the chapters, one each night until I've finished. It took me about 3 hours tonight though because I was watching TV, I'll give up the TV tomorrow though
Thomassss
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of the Arts London
    MA Performance Design and Practice Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 24 Jan '19
  • Brunel University London
    Undergraduate Experience Days Undergraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19
  • SOAS University of London
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Sat, 26 Jan '19

Are you chained to your phone?