Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Trust me.... you get so much lazier as the year goes by :P

ReputationRep:
    jollof rice..in bulk for the week :mmm:

ReputationRep:
    The best tip for watching the pennies is to plan ahead so that nothing is wasted!
    For instance, I always have the usual rice, pasta, potatoes, frozen food in...
    Then I alternate: one week I'll buy lots of fresh veg and make a curry, spag bol, stir fry (make it in bulk and freeze some)
    then the next week I buy salad and fruit, and eat the frozen stuff for my main meals.
    I'd say I'm pretty healthy (apart from the fact I binge...a lot!), its fairly cheap and nothing goes to waste!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by doodle7)
    The best tip for watching the pennies is to plan ahead so that nothing is wasted!
    For instance, I always have the usual rice, pasta, potatoes, frozen food in...
    Then I alternate: one week I'll buy lots of fresh veg and make a curry, spag bol, stir fry (make it in bulk and freeze some)
    then the next week I buy salad and fruit, and eat the frozen stuff for my main meals.
    I'd say I'm pretty healthy (apart from the fact I binge...a lot!), its fairly cheap and nothing goes to waste!
    Ah that's a very smart idea! . I think I'll be buying my pasta in bulk!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katebushfan)
    I'm a little worried about cooking when it comes to uni! I love to cook but most of the time I end up spending too much money on ingredients. My favourite thing to cook is mexican food .

So I was wondering, what are you going to be cooking when you go to university? Or will you be living off of ready meals? Does anyone have any quick and easy recipes to share?
    Chilli bean soup is really cheap and easy to make (serves 3-4, costs...£1.50?) Sounds rubbish but it's seriously nice and kind of mexican-y. Just fry some onion, add a tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce, a tin of chopped tomatoes, half a sweet potato cut up really small, season, cook for a while (till sweet potato is soft) and then just use a hand-held blender thing. yum yum yum

You'll find ways of spending less on ingredients. You don't need to worry about herbs or salt or whatever cause you rarely buy them. But you can do things like buy stuff when it's on offer (only stuff you would usually buy of course) or like with meat, buy it when it's been reduced cause it's close to it's sell-by date and freeze it. Do the same with bread. And milk. and most veg. Frozen veg is also cheaper on the whole. EDIT: and, as others are saying, buy in bulk where possible

I will be cooking everything. It's a million times cheaper and I'm quite careful about what I eat. I made a budget for my boyfriend this year (he couldn't be bothered and I totally love stuff like that) and he spends £9 on food a week for his basic shop. Occasionally we eat out/order in/get something special but when I'm not there, he doesn't like to stray from my plan...he would just eat cereal I think. I'm planning on having my basic food budget per week less than £9 cause I'm veggie and meat is expensive (my boyfriend is not veggie). I'm thinking £8 but that's a bit of a guess. I want more money to spend on fun things

ReputationRep:
    I freeze pasta as well. It's not as nice when you defrost it because it goes quite dry, so if you microwave the pasta and heat up a little bit of sauce in a pan at the same time then mix them together when they're both done it's better. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katebushfan)
    I'm a little worried about cooking when it comes to uni! I love to cook but most of the time I end up spending too much money on ingredients. My favourite thing to cook is mexican food .

So I was wondering, what are you going to be cooking when you go to university? Or will you be living off of ready meals? Does anyone have any quick and easy recipes to share?
    A pack of tomato passata and a tin of chopped tomatoes will be your best friend.
    You can make chili con carne, bolognaise, tikka massala, fajita sauce all from the same basic sauce

Stir fry is good too, quick and easy.
    Mac cheese too.
    Buy a book of quick and easy recipes, good investment.

ReputationRep:
    Lasagne, bolognese, curries, stews, ratatouille, cheap roast dinners when money affords it, and then whatever else I feel like at the time. Things like cous cous and roasted veggies are really easy and nice, too. It's far easier, and cheaper to live off a diet that you cook yourself rather than ready meals!

ReputationRep:
    I live at home...

I only came on here to read some of the answers, some of them are hilarious. Some girl who lived on wetherspoons and toast and has a fear of the kitchen- thats hilarious.

Im crap at cooking and i live at home. I suggest that everyone buys a cookbook and just have a go. Whats the worse that can happen- well you could set fire to the kitchen but i hope nobody does that.

ReputationRep:
    9p Tesco noodles. But seriously, all sorts - stir frys, soups, pasta dishes.
    All yum yums

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    I freeze pasta as well. It's not as nice when you defrost it because it goes quite dry, so if you microwave the pasta and heat up a little bit of sauce in a pan at the same time then mix them together when they're both done it's better. :borat:
    Why would you bother freezing pasta when it keeps fine dry and cooks really quickly; quicker than you could defrost it?

ReputationRep:
    I'm literally living off toast, apples and noodles at the moment (1st yr uni). I'm just too lazy to go shopping.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by campy)
    Chilli bean soup is really cheap and easy to make (serves 3-4, costs...£1.50?) Sounds rubbish but it's seriously nice and kind of mexican-y. Just fry some onion, add a tin of kidney beans in chilli sauce, a tin of chopped tomatoes, half a sweet potato cut up really small, season, cook for a while (till sweet potato is soft) and then just use a hand-held blender thing. yum yum yum

Ooh thanks for your detailed reply by the way :-). I will definitely try making that soup, it sounds lovely!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by campy)
    Why would you bother freezing pasta when it keeps fine dry and cooks really quickly; quicker than you could defrost it?
    I make pasta with bacon or sausage and I prefer to cook like 3 servings or something at once, eat one for dinner then freeze the others just so they're there for convenience on busy days. That way I don't have to remember to defrost meat the night before every time I want to make one serving of pasta the next day and don't have to worry about bacon going off in the fridge before I have it with pasta again.

All I have to do to defrost it is stick it in the microwave for 10 minutes. There's an automatic setting for defrosting pasta that's already there on mine so all it takes is pressing two buttons, waiting for 10 min and it's ready. Rather that than spend a lot of money on ready meals.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emanuel_arsenalfc)
    jollof rice..in bulk for the week :mmm:
    :five: Jollof :sogood:
    My mum says she's gonna call when she makes all my favourite food and taunt me :emo:
    What she doesn't realise is that i'm living half an hour train ride from home.
    Sneaking in at midnight to steal all their food FTW.

But nah seriously I cook quite alot at home. I make a mean roast :coma:
    Which is a shame cause I doubt I can eat a whole slab of meat by myself :sad:

ReputationRep:
    CHOCOLATE MUG CAKE <3

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=671365345#!/pages/5-MINUTE-CHOCOLATE-MUG-CAKE/85427078942?v=info&ref=ts

xxx

ReputationRep:
    Improvisation...the key to success at cooking in university.

But on a serious note there is this really helpful website i discovered a couple days ago that might give you guys a bit of an edge over others, http://www.supercook.com/ . You just put in the ingredients you hold and it gives you crap loads of recipes based on them; hope it helps, Ed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rainbow drops)
    I make pasta with bacon or sausage and I prefer to cook like 3 servings or something at once, eat one for dinner then freeze the others just so they're there for convenience on busy days. That way I don't have to remember to defrost meat the night before every time I want to make one serving of pasta the next day and don't have to worry about bacon going off in the fridge before I have it with pasta again.

All I have to do to defrost it is stick it in the microwave for 10 minutes. There's an automatic setting for defrosting pasta that's already there on mine so all it takes is pressing two buttons, waiting for 10 min and it's ready. Rather that than spend a lot of money on ready meals.
    Ohhhhh I literally thought you meant plain pasta, cooked and then put in the freezer. Oops. Just a thought: you could make the sauce, put it into portions and freeze it as per but cook the pasta fresh? would make it less stale

ReputationRep:
    Omlette

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smeh)
    :five: Jollof :sogood:
    My mum says she's gonna call when she makes all my favourite food and taunt me :emo:
    What she doesn't realise is that i'm living half an hour train ride from home.
    Sneaking in at midnight to steal all their food FTW.

But nah seriously I cook quite alot at home. I make a mean roast :coma:
    Which is a shame cause I doubt I can eat a whole slab of meat by myself :sad:
    LOL aw.. yh i think my mum is going to do that too..ahahah smooth :cool:

roast :coma:
    share with moi? im gonna be poor anyway so i might as well start scraping of people lol..:rolleyes:

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
  • Sheffield Hallam University
    City and Collegiate Campus Undergraduate
    Sun, 3 Feb '19
Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.