I'm suffering Stockholm Syndrome Watch

katebushfan
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I'd have stockholm syndrome if my captors let me use TSR.
Untitled258
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Psyk)
Isn't that called Paris Syndrome? I'm pretty sure there is a phrase for it that's similar to Stockholm Syndrome.
I believe paris syndrome is something people get, when they visit a county and it doesn't live up to the hype? i think the saying came from Japanese people being distraught that paris wasn't as amazing as the pictures made out.
Stalin
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
That's not Stockholm Syndrome... :facepalm2:
Revd. Mike
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Untitled258)
thats not Stockholm Syndrome.

Stockholm Syndrome is where you feel Apathy towards your captors in a hostage situation.
Empathy rather than apathy, surely?
Colonel.
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I think there's a translation problem somewhere here.
Untitled258
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Revd. Mike)
Empathy rather than apathy, surely?
Yeah, i think your right actually.
Howard
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Bslforever)
This.

I read this thinking whaaat?

EDIT: Don't be silly guys, the OP is clearly talking about the other Stockholm Syndrome. You know, the one where you go to Stockholm and you just feel really out of place and find it hard to make friends?
Or the one where you order a cup of coffee in Stockholm and have a seizure when you see the bill.
AlexJK
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Jesus christ, this guy just wants some advice, not everyone telling him that he doesn't know what Stockholm Syndrome is. We learnt that from the first post. He's living in a country by himself and is finding it tough.
Now, I'll give you some real advice. I just moved from England to Spain with my family this year, and even though it's not as big a move as you, as I currently go to an English school, it was tough. Everyone in my school are Spanish, and there are some clear differences between people. Obviously it's going to be a hell of a lot of a change coming from the middle east to England, rather than from one european country to another.
I'm going to be honest, I naturally found myself to fit better with the English/international students as you have a lot more in common, and it's easier. Rather than everyone who is settled in and that.
I suggest you take it one step at a time. Instead of trying to get in with an English group of people, who are settled in, try and make friends with international people. People who are explaining the same things as you. I am unable to believe that you can find no international people in Sheffield. Obviously, don't close yourself off to the English people, as you'll make it worse for yourself. I suggest that you try and get along with people as much as possible.
Don't talk to girls before you've made friends with boys. You need a group of friends first.
Just have the courage to talk to some new people and make friends. Just know that, it's not that people aren't making the effort, it's that they think that you're not making the effort.
I hope it gets better.
yam2020
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
(Original post by snowshine)
Do you know what Stockholm Syndrome is?
http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/7758/listen.gif

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
nihility
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
why is everyone being such a **** to this dude, his first language isnt english so maybe he might have the incorrect definition of stockholm syndrome?
yam2020
(Original post by AlexJK)
Jesus christ, this guy just wants some advice, not everyone telling him that he doesn't know what Stockholm Syndrome is. We learnt that from the first post. He's living in a country by himself and is finding it tough.
Now, I'll give you some real advice. I just moved from England to Spain with my family this year, and even though it's not as big a move as you, as I currently go to an English school, it was tough. Everyone in my school are Spanish, and there are some clear differences between people. Obviously it's going to be a hell of a lot of a change coming from the middle east to England, rather than from one european country to another.
I'm going to be honest, I naturally found myself to fit better with the English/international students as you have a lot more in common, and it's easier. Rather than everyone who is settled in and that.
I suggest you take it one step at a time. Instead of trying to get in with an English group of people, who are settled in, try and make friends with international people. People who are explaining the same things as you. I am unable to believe that you can find no international people in Sheffield. Obviously, don't close yourself off to the English people, as you'll make it worse for yourself. I suggest that you try and get along with people as much as possible.
Don't talk to girls before you've made friends with boys. You need a group of friends first.
Just have the courage to talk to some new people and make friends. Just know that, it's not that people aren't making the effort, it's that they think that you're not making the effort.
I hope it gets better.
Thank you a lot. you're the best.
yam2020
(Original post by nihility)
why is everyone being such a **** to this dude, his first language isnt english so maybe he might have the incorrect definition of stockholm syndrome?
Does it take that much to come up with such very complicated conclusion. please tell them.
Like i'm in Harvard full professors only forum...
joy12
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
You have no syndrome... don't let these stupid syndromes pull you down boy! Practice makes perfect, you might fail for a few times, but you will learn with experience and its pretty normal to have language barrier at start that is...
antigen
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
troll
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (850)
80.72%
Leave (203)
19.28%

Watched Threads